Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Quote:
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil is a 2019 American dark fantasy adventure film produced by Walt Disney Pictures, directed by Joachim Rønning, and written by Linda Woolverton, Micah Fitzerman-Blue, and Noah Harpster. It is a sequel to the 2014 film Maleficent, with Angelina Jolie returning to portray the title role. Elle Fanning, Sam Riley, Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple, and Lesley Manville also return to their previous roles, with Harris Dickinson replacing Brenton Thwaites from the first film and Chiwetel Ejiofor, Ed Skrein, and Michelle Pfeiffer joining the cast as new characters.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil was released in the United States on October 18, 2019. The film received mixed reviews from critics, with praise for the performances of Jolie, Fanning, Ejiofor and Pfeiffer, but criticism aimed at the "muddled plot and overly artificial visuals"

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:59 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
I thought the first half hour was fine but once Maleficent meets her own kind the movie lost my interest and dragged.

I still find it bizarre how they made the three faries so ugly in design and so annoying.

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:19 am
Star Trek XI

Can't fucking wait to see this this weekend, Angie and Elle will slay per usual! The first was amazing and heartwarming

Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:31 am
Star Trek XI

Angie, Elle, and Michelle all slayed! Really loved this, and Harris Dickinson did very well as Prince Phillips too! Could’ve done without the church scene though

Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

It was fine. The beginning of the film was good; the middle was boring (meeting the dark fey could have been interesting, but it was rushed and very ordinary); and the ending was decent enough. Jolie still kills it it in the role, and she appears to enjoy playing the character.

I had two primary issues: The first being a reoccurring annoyance from the first film, while the second was difficult to watch due to how stupid it was.

First: The mo-cap/visual effect used to create the three fairies was pretty bad in the first film, and they didn't bother to update or recreate them here. They looked outdated 5 years ago, and obviously even more so this time around. Thankfully, they're not really shown for more than 30-seconds at a time, but they're glaringly out of place when on screen.

Second: The scene of all the Moor creatures being killed in the church was frustrating. The method of killing them was stupid. Playing the organ to launch the iron, really? Why not just dump a ton of it on them from the rafters or something? And none of the creatures (namely the tree-folk and three fairies) realizing what was happening was...unbelievable, honestly. And rather than simply taking out the Queen's assistant playing the organ (who had her BACK to them), which should have been quite easy for, again, any of the tree-folk or the fairies, the blue fairy decides to kill herself by plugging the organ pipes... We don't even get to see what happens to the assistant! Sure, she stumbles and falls backward off the balcony, presumably to her death, but it was a 10-foot fall (tops) and we don't see her land.

The Queen being turned into a goat at the end was also kind of stupid. I won't bash it completely (since it's used as a means to show Maleficent's good nature and that fighting is bad), but she just murdered hundreds of the dark fey, fairies, and other moor creatures, in addition to her own subjects that resided in the exploding buildings/homes... Oh, and she stabbed/cursed the King, her husband. Is being a goat really an appropriate punishment? :mer:

I know this scene was meant to be "dark", maybe even intended to be "disturbing", or perhaps even "emotional"(?), but it was very ridiculous.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:20 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah I wasn't feeling this sequel either. I didn't think it was bad and visually for the most part it looked pretty great IMO, but this story sucked. I like Elle Fanning and while she's good in both films I just didn't care about her romance with the Phillip character and I didn't like how so much of this film was focused on them instead of the title character. It really felt like Angelina Jolie was sidelined big time in this and her meeting her own kind wasn't nearly as interesting or epic as I bet they thought it would be even if you got a really quality actor like Chiwetel Ejiofor in one of the roles.

I even thought Michelle Pfeiffer was quite good in this and is a much better villain than Sharlto Copley from the first film, but at the end of the day she's just another generic, one note evil queen who hates fairy creatures and will do anything to destroy them which is just weak writing all around IMO for an actress of her caliber.

C+

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:28 pm
Forum General

Yeah I wasn't feeling this sequel either. I didn't think it was bad and visually for the most part it looked pretty great IMO, but this story sucked. I like Elle Fanning and while she's good in both films I just didn't care about her romance with the Phillip character and I didn't like how so much of this film was focused on them instead of the title character. It really felt like Angelina Jolie was sidelined big time in this and her meeting her own kind wasn't nearly as interesting or epic as I bet they thought it would be even if you got a really quality actor like Chiwetel Ejiofor in one of the roles.

I even thought Michelle Pfeiffer was quite good in this and is a much better villain than Sharlto Copley from the first film, but at the end of the day she's just another generic, one note evil queen who hates fairy creatures and will do anything to destroy them which is just weak writing all around IMO for an actress of her caliber.

C+

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:28 pm
The Kramer

Meh. The movie is still gorgeous to look at, and Jolie as Milfleficent can still get it ... but overall meh. It winds up being more predictable than the remake of a movie I had already seen.

C

Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:39 pm
The Kramer

Corpse wrote:
Second: The scene of all the Moor creatures being killed in the church was frustrating. The method of killing them was stupid. Playing the organ to launch the iron, really? Why not just dump a ton of it on them from the rafters or something? And none of the creatures (namely the tree-folk and three fairies) realizing what was happening was...unbelievable, honestly. And rather than simply taking out the Queen's assistant playing the organ (who had her BACK to them), which should have been quite easy for, again, any of the tree-folk or the fairies, the blue fairy decides to kill herself by plugging the organ pipes... We don't even get to see what happens to the assistant! Sure, she stumbles and falls backward off the balcony, presumably to her death, but it was a 10-foot fall (tops) and we don't see her land.
"How can we adapt the Red Wedding into a children's movie?" is not a question that should have ever been asked much less acted upon. :funny:

Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]