Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 You're Next 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
B 64%  64%  [ 7 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

You're Next 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post You're Next
You're Next

Quote:
You're Next is an upcoming 2013 American horror-thriller film directed and edited by Adam Wingard and written by Simon Barrett. The film had its world premiere at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival Midnight Madness program

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: You're Next
really good

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:01 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was an absolute blast. The movie Cabin In The Woods should have been. It's HILARIOUS, thrilling and fun. Some scenes are seriously hysterical - I loved the first kill and the subsequent reactions as well as the dinner table scene about commercials. And when the movie essentially turns into Home Alone on steroids it just goes batshit crazy. The finale is insanely awesome. Sharni Vinson is a badass in this too. One of the most entertaining movies of the summer. A-

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:43 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I loved it. It was a ton of fun. It is fairly low-budget so I can easily forgive some of the less-than-stellar acting by some of the cast, especially when Sharni Vinson's commanding performance and badass character instantly earn her a spot up there with Jamie Lee Curtis and Neve Campbell as a new scream queen. Seriously. This is someone you absolutely root for. The movie actually has a good amount of dark comedy. The purposely over-the-top, hysterical reactions to the first big murder are hilarious. As is the next death. Basically, if Home Alone were a horror movie it might look something like this. The "wink wink, nudge nudge" tongue-in-cheek approach and the awesome third act make this home invasion horror flick feel fairly fresh. And the ending had me grinning with glee. I left the theater pretty pumped after this baby. I don't know how it would work, but man would I love to see Sharni Vinson's character back in action in a sequel. Now if you'll excuse me I have to download the Dwight Twilley Band's song "Looking for the Magic."

9/10 (A-)

Last edited by Magic Mike on Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:41 am
You are waiting for a train

In a film filled with self-referential humor, I particularly enjoyed Joe "Mumblecore" Swanberg declaring that commercials are the pinnacle of art. In my theater I was the only one who laughed out loud there.

But yeah, this is a terrific slasher movie, and when the twists begin to unravel it becomes the most fun horror flick I've seen since Cabin in the Woods.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:45 am
Extraordinary

YOU'RE NEXT

A most entertaining picture with a mix of the usual stupid victim decisions along with film heroine. I enjoyed this film. The RT score kind of elevated my expectations and it delivered for the most part. The stupid decisions by some of the victims early on was a bit ridiculous but the survival and revenge mode in the next half of the film made up for that. I kind of figured what's his name was in on it when the character disappears for 1/3 of the film to return at the end. Overall, it was a fun flick that went the satisfying route instead of being a Debbie downer.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:53 am
Wallflower

Gopher wrote:
In a film filled with self-referential humor, I particularly enjoyed Joe "Mumblecore" Swanberg declaring that commercials are the pinnacle of art. In my theater I was the only one who laughed out loud there.

But yeah, this is a terrific slasher movie, and when the twists begin to unravel it becomes the most fun horror flick I've seen since Cabin in the Woods.

That made me laugh too. Thankfully there was one other person who laughed at it. :P

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:54 am
Pure Phase

Similar to last year's The Cabin in the Woods, the starting point of You're Next is a super recognizable (and, we presume, very predictable) scenario--a large, estranged family gather at a remote house and are set upon in the night by maniacal intruders in disguises with an unknown motive--but it then spins in various inventive directions, toying with and undermining slasher conventions while also, in an almost paradoxical way, representing a slasher done right. Blending brutality, suspense, humor, and wit in equal measure, the film is riveting from start to finish and is set apart most by its heroine, an Australian American played with a hypnotic blend of charm and ferocity by Sharni Vinson, who is, without spoiling a great deal, more competent and courageous than expected. Rooting for her survival is one of the most rousing experiences cinema has produced this summer, and I would not hesitate to describe her as an instantly iconic character and one of the most empowered final girls in the history of the genre.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:08 am
Extraordinary

Pretty enjoyable surprisingly.

Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:12 pm
Sbil

This was quite fun. I mean...a dysfunctional family plot by way of a slasher movie with some Home Alone-hijinks thrown in? And the very 80s synthesizer score, lol. Also, Erin was freaking awesome. B+

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:12 am
Wallflower

:dance:

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:51 am
Sbil

Some of the gallows humor in this was hilarious. I particularly liked the snobby brother continuing to be obnoxious with an arrow sticking out of his back, or the daughter whining that "no one ever believes in me!" before she prepares to run out the door in slow motion.

Or psycho brother's psycho girlfriend complaining that psycho brother "never wants to do anything fun" when he refuses to have sex on top of his mom's corpse.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:53 pm
100% That Bitch

Is Horror having a resurge in quality or what?.

I need to see this now.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:13 pm
Wallflower

Libs wrote:
Some of the gallows humor in this was hilarious. I particularly liked the snobby brother continuing to be obnoxious with an arrow sticking out of his back, or the daughter whining that "no one ever believes in me!" before she prepares to run out the door in slow motion.

Or psycho brother's psycho girlfriend complaining that psycho brother "never wants to do anything fun" when he refuses to have sex on top of his mom's corpse.

Both of those, especially the first, were really funny.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:51 pm
Pure Phase

The slow-motion run to the door reminds me a lot of Chris Hemsworth's "heroic" demise in The Cabin in the Woods.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:03 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Tons and tons of fun and really funny. Continues to confirm that horror comedy is the best horror sub-genre.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Great film and Sharni Vinson is such a badass. I only wish TCITW was this awesome.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:08 am
Pure Phase

The Cabin in the Woods is overall a slightly superior, better crafted film.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:46 am
Forum General

David wrote:
The Cabin in the Woods is overall a slightly superior, better crafted film.

Really ? I guess it's a matter of opinion. Now I liked TCITW, but the combination of shitty CGI monsters and that crappy ending really brought it down for me. I still liked the characters and some of the witty dialogue, but the movie is VERY overrated IMO.

This one on the other hand delivered everything I wanted in an 80's throwback slasher. The kills are very effective and brutal as hell and most off all no cheap cgi in sight. Sure it's a bit rough around the edges with it's low budget look and feel, but I'm more of a slasher fan anyways, so this appeals to me more.

The soundtrack/score is pretty awesome too.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:15 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

I wouldn't really call this hilarious, as some in this thread have. Competent? Yes. Hilarious? No. Funny? Not really. A chuckle or two? Yea, sure.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Caius wrote:
I wouldn't really call this hilarious, as some in this thread have. Competent? Yes. Hilarious? No. Funny? Not really. A chuckle or two? Yea, sure.

This. I think I giggled a few times, but that was about it. That said, it was a lot of fun with a decent lead performance (but people calling her the new scream queen are on crack). I thought Cabin in the Woods was a masterpiece (ya hear me right peeps), so this isn't as good and it honestly shouldn't be compared.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:41 am
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

I do not believe it intended to be ha-ha-ha hilarious. But it is a very fun, suspenseful ride.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:20 pm
Forum General

I don't either, but that doesn't change the fact many people seem to think it is. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:03 am
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

Not scary. Bad acting. Bad camera work. If you have scary mask killers, let the viewers see them. I spent most of the film not really seeing them well. However it was a good twist that Crispian was also in on the plot. I didn't see that coming (but I did see the other brother and his goth girlfriend being in on it). The best thing about this film is "Looking for the Magic" by Dwight Tilley Band. Great track, which I will download in a jiffy.

I suppose You're Next is just too low budget to really make anyone stand up and declare it an instant classic. Which is a shame because its marketing was very, very effective. The main problem is that I thought the killing got in the way of a good domestic argument! I was really looking forward to that dinner argument, then some killing happened and stopped it. But the film really does fall into the template of horror films. It's almost as if the director tried to make a non-spoof of Scream. If this had just forgot about being a horror movie, I think it could have been a great comedy.

C

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Last edited by Algren on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I would honestly almost classify this as a comedy instead of a horror movie. The scene where the girl runs into the wire and the family argument before it are HILARIOUS moments.

And the bad acting from the family was intentional, IMO.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:59 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next