Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Georgia Rule 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Georgia Rule 
Extraordinary

Post Georgia Rule
Georgia Rule

Quote:
Georgia Rule is a 2007 American comedy-drama film directed by Garry Marshall and starring Jane Fonda, Lindsay Lohan, Felicity Huffman, Dermot Mulroney, Garrett Hedlund, and Cary Elwes. The original music score was composed by John Debney.

Fri May 11, 2007 7:00 pm
Star Trek XI

Wow, what a mess! Simply, I hated it. Who came up with the idea of an alleged comedy about sexual abuse? Director Garry Marshall continues his downward spiral with this disaster that wastes the talents of three considerably talanted actresses. For the first hour, I liked the movie. It seemed going well. Then, it simply goes to hell altogether, and it spite of a "feel-good" ending, you leave feeling very icky. Lindsay Lohan plays a spoiled brat, and at times we, knowing about her off-screen behavior, forget we are watching a performance(that isn't a complement). Felicity Huffman does the best she can, but she spends so much time with booze that we couldn't care less. Jane Fonda is very good, but even she can't save this mess of a movie. Georgia Rule is a bright, sunny movie about serious subjects, and it hopes we take it seriously as well. Instead, all we can say is ewww. D+

Fri May 11, 2007 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I suddenly have an inclination to see this movie... now that I know what I'm getting, some kind of abuse psychological southern drama over a cutesy chick flick as the false ads suggested, it could be interesting. And I still like Lindsey.

Sat May 12, 2007 3:33 pm
Sbil

Georgia Rule left me alternating between "ew" and "meh" for the majority of its running time. What was advertised as some sort of chick flick about the mutual understanding between three generations of women is actually a lurid melodrama about sexual molestation. Director Garry Marshall is alarmingly outside his comfort zone with this movie, and the script by Mark Andrus is weak and unconvincing. Despite all the muck going on around them and the unconvincing dialogue they're forced to spout, performances are mostly credible. Jane Fonda is actually underused (!) despite getting first billing, but manages to turn in a solid performance, while Felicity Huffman is similarly effective. And, yes, Lindsay Lohan is entirely convincing as a spoiled brat. This isn't the worst movie of the year, but it's one of the most unpleasant. Despite what the movie thinks is a happy ending, the whole thing will likely leave a bad taste in your mouth. C-

Sat May 12, 2007 11:53 pm
Extraordinary

Thanx Libs -- I'm pretty sure this is one I can trust your opinion on! Looks like I'm the luckiest guy in the world, as I almost got ddragged off to see this one instead of the incomparable Waitress...

Sun May 20, 2007 9:39 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

The script was a mess.

Mon May 21, 2007 1:05 pm
Forum General

While I don't hate it as much as others here, I agree that it's pretty bad. It started out pretty good. In fact, I loved the opening scene. After that it reaches a few high points but for the most part, the film is below ground. The performances are alright, the best coming from the underused Jane Fonda. It was a delight every time she was on screen. Lindsay Lohan was good but not as good as I've heard. She's basically playing herself. She does have a few funny moments though. Felicity Huffman.. I couldn't fucking stand her in this movie. Horrible performance. And the ending.. I hated it. It was supposed to leave you happy but it came off extremely happy. Skip this. Ugh. Just talking about it makes me want to lower my grade.

5/10 ( C )

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri May 25, 2007 9:02 am
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought it was alright. The script was disjointed and there were odd shifts in tone, but the performances were good and I was never bored. I wouldn't highly recommend it, but it's a harmless time waster.

B-

Mon May 28, 2007 3:41 pm
Profile YIM
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Mon May 28, 2007 5:14 pm
Sbil

great. B

A B indicates great?

Mon May 28, 2007 5:37 pm
Superman: The Movie

The good: I didn't hate Jane Fonda and Lindsay Lohan. Fonda gives the best performance in the film and makes up for what she did in Monster In Law. As a matter of fact, she's great in this film besides the fact that her character is underwritten. As for Lohan, it's her best performance to date.

The "meh": Dermot Mulroney. For what his character is, it's interesting, but he's pretty much forgotten about, minus one scene, in the final act of the film. As for Cary Elwes, completely forgettable.

The bad: Everything else in the film.

Here's my basic problem with it. Gary Marshall. There is no way in hell he should've touched this. There is no way in hell he even should've been considered for this. For 95% of the film, the tone is supposed to be dark. It's not. Even the most depressing scenes have a bit of lightness to them. Take for instance the scene between Lohan and her stepfather in the motel. That's supposed to be a dark scene. It's anything but. I believe if given to the right kind of director, this could've been an okay film. I believe it also would've helped with some scenes that got intentional laughs. Lohan's characters mother isn't supposed to be that funny when she's drunk. It's supposed to be depressing. It's anything but. More on that in a second.

And the scenes that are used for countering the dark stuff in the film, are next to horrible. What's with the little kid getting a boner? Don't get me wrong, if Lindsay Lohan were ever on top of me, I'd be standing at attention, but there is absolutely no point to it in the film. And it's not like it's touched upon well later. The only thing that addresses it, is when the kid leaves the table once Lohan sits down. Wow. Comedy gold.

Then there is Felicity Huffman. She is unbelievably bad here. Maybe her character is supposed to be somewhat over the top. Maybe she's supposed to be a joke. What I do know is that her character is poorly developed, completely uninteresting, and up until the final few minutes of the film, only seemed to have a passing interest in her daughter. Are we supposed to sympathize with her, because she is extremely unlikeable. And not to mention that Huffman does absolutely nothing with her character. She's too over the top with it.

And finally - the ending. That was anything but a happy ending. The only good part about it was that Huffman and Lohan are together again. Awwww. I mean, fuck the therapy their gonna need, and fuck the impending lawsuit that will drain them of a shitload of money (Since the stepdad is a powerful attorney), no, at least they're happy.

Lohan and Fonda keep this from being a complete catastrophy.

C-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon May 28, 2007 10:25 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Sam Nasty wrote:
great. B

A B indicates great?

excellent is A. so yeah great/good is the B range.

Mon May 28, 2007 11:17 pm
Teenage Dream

This movie was a mess. Where the heck did the sexual molestation come from? Waste of a talented group of actresses. Bad ending as well. D+

Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:32 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Re: Georgia Rule
i just watched this again on DVD. it plays much better, but, the DVD featurettes have me alarmed. This should of been a really great depressing film. While it is definitely depressing, it ain't exactly great.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:32 am
Star Trek XI

Post Re: Georgia Rule
One of my favorites of 2007 and the 2000's as a whole. Lindsay, Jane, and Felicity as SO good here! Still blows my mind how misleading the advertising was for this movie, it's a damn shame it flopped. If it had been advertised better i'm willing to bet the reviews would have been a LOT better

Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]