Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Joker 

Rate this film:
A 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
B 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
C 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Joker 
Forum General

Post Re: Joker
The movie was very good and Phoenix was incredible but I think it would have been a seriously great movie if the movie ended about eight minutes or so before it actually did (when there was the pan out of the different news outlets).

A-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

movies35 wrote:
The movie was very good and Phoenix was incredible but I think it would have been a seriously great movie if the movie ended about eight minutes or so before it actually did (when there was the pan out of the different news outlets).

A-

I think I had a similar thought, that the movie should have ended a little earlier. The coda didn't feel necessary.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:02 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Yeah, I'm in the hated this camp. I thought it was dreadful and the direction and screenplay were amateurish. Joaquin is technically very good but there's never a moment you forget he's acting here, and the supporting cast is bad. That staircase sequence is one of the most cringe-inducingly awful movie moments I've seen in some time. I will say that the production design was pretty impeccable though, definitely felt like the gritty New York of the '80s.

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Lick my balls

It's not great. But always a good thing when a performance gets so much media attention.

Basically a dumber, less stylish, less arty Taxi Driver, where the sociopath's detachment eventually wins. The arc isn't interesting, the performance is maybe decent (at best), and the depth to understanding the pathology is disappointingly shallow. If it weren't for Phoenix's awkwardly-engaged physical schtick, how well-timed it was to do a dark anti-hero (post-Endgame), and the curiosity it marketed towards, guarantee this would've flopped, harder than Superman Returns. Why Todd Phillips, for something this dark?

I actually think some of it's just how perfect it seemed going in: Joaquin Phoenix as the fucking Joker - practically every moviebuff's wet dream for over a decade - and the fact it's a super-gorey, morally-bankrupt, super-dark 180 on everything Marvel's been shitting out; let alone how culturally famous (and mysterious) the character was to begin with.

All that stuff it delivered well enough to avoid a negative tipping point in the audience response, so the product got catapulted for the criteria it fulfilled more so than its quality, I would say.

Did anyone else find the gauntness excessive?

And isn't the guy supposed to be an evil genius? Cannot fathom how the dude portrayed would be remotely capable of the mass-scale orchestrations of TDK's version. His demeanor literally doesn't change when he gets off his medication, (in spite of him saying he "feels better") even though that would've been a perfect way to make his transformation actually be, you know, a transformation. The Joker at the end got there through a huge amount of luck - unrealistic luck - that undercuts the gritty realism of the Detroit-style visuals the film goes for. The last 20 minutes, unique talk-show thing notwithstanding, is rushed and ridiculous.

Liked the soundtrack, but it's like it wanted it to be a better film than it was. Maybe where I was sitting, but seemed like the loudest orchestra recording since Interstellar.

Think I need to watch it again. Was a bit stoned and probably had high expectations; read something cool last week where Phoenix described being in actual physical pain when doing the laugh. That's pretty neat, artistically. Guess so many angles had been tried already that something properly novel was always going to come off pretty strange at first. The issue I had was that as fucked-up as he seems, the script didn't give enough dimensions to work with; and more than once, his very line delivery seemed bad (in a bad acting way).

Ledger shits all over it.

C+

Last edited by Gamaur on Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:07 am
Lick my balls

Magnus wrote:
This was written by a sixth grader who just discovered Nietzsche for the first time and thinks they’ve figured out nihilism but hasn’t got a clue

Perfect.

Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:18 am
So much has happened to me that I don’t understand

I thought this was outstanding. Totally on board with Phoenix winning for this, and I loved DiCaprio. The physicality of his performance really takes it to another level, the way he bends his malnourished body, etc. The whole uncontrolled laughter, levity despite being miserable, part of his character was perfect for me. Really impressed by Todd Phillips directing. The cinematography felt natural and lived in to me and really set the world well. In the middle half of the movie I thought it was juggling a lot between the Thomas Wayne storyline, his mother, his comedy, De Niro, etc. but I think it's meant to signify all the things that can be happening in your life at once especially when it's swirling down.

I disagree with the people who think this has a shallow take "society deserved it" - that's what I was expecting this to be with Arthur spending the movie torturing wall street guys or whatever, but I thought it ended up more nuanced than that. For example one of the seminal moments that makes him the Joker permanently is when the guy that gave him the gun and the midget comes to his apartment. That guy was the only person to believe in him and 100% did nothing wrong and Joker killed him. So it is a sign that Joker's actions are not excused by the problems with society. De Niro's character didn't deserve to die either, he was acting as a moral voice of reason. When Joker says on his talk show that he's doing this because society is trash, it rings hollow because literally minutes before he claimed several times he is not political. Unlike Travis Bickle Arthur doesn't actually believe in anything, he only believes in himself as he inherited the narcissism from his mother. He doesn't really care about what the protestors are fighting for when he stands on the car at the end, he only cares that they're finally treating him as important and finally love him, and when he says on the talk show he's doing it to fix society he's changing his views to match them if anything and find any justification to latch onto. There is something of a Being There element to their worship of him in that the protestors project their views onto him, but in reality he is just a simpleton who is incapable of thinking with that complexity. I see Joker as clearly a villain not a hero and part of the message is that it's dangerous to treat people like this as heroes.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:02 am
New Server, Same X

I watched this two weeks ago and loved it. But now that it has settled in my mind a bit, it's more of a "I love Joaquin in this" type feeling, and everything else is just... there. The story is so minimal, it's a shame they couldn't muster anything better. It's basically a series of scenes of Joaquin acting his ass off, with a bunch of violence and loose strings of some sort of Joker origin story.

But the thing is... anything that actually ties this to any DC universe feels tacked on. I like the idea of Joker starting as a failed comedian. But without the Gotham setting and the Bruce Wayne scenes (especially near the end), it feels like the movie was 90% finished and then they decided to weave in some Gotham/Joker stuff.

I don't hate the movie at all. It's just that Todd Phillips' inexperience with heavier material and his desire to mimic Scorsese deeply hinder the movie at every turn. Once you get past "IT'S JOAQUIN AS THE JOKER!!", it's unfortunately flawed.

***/*****

It kind of reminds me of when Brett Ratner of all people wanted to do a Joker origin story after Ledger's Joker in 2008, and it was thankfully never brought up again. One of Phillips' only strong points is that this isn't as bad as a Ratner-directed Joker.

Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:24 pm
Keeping it Light

It's a good film elevated by a great Phoenix performance. There's a nice mood to the film and it fits itself well into the Batman universe too. It definitely has a different feel to it than other comic book character films because of its grim and a realistic tone and it works. But besides Phoenix I wouldn't rank it among the year's best, it doesn't really transcend the experience of being more than just a very solid drama.

B+

Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:55 am
We had our time together

A second viewing didn't do it any favors. I wanted to shut it off after Joaquin's 27th hysterical laughter scene during the first 30 minutes.

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2