Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Hustlers 

Rate this film:
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Hustlers 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Hustlers

Quote:
Hustlers is a 2019 American crime drama film written and directed by Lorene Scafaria, based on New York magazine's 2015 article "The Hustlers at Scores" by Jessica Pressler.[4] The film stars Constance Wu, Jennifer Lopez, Julia Stiles, Keke Palmer, Lili Reinhart, Lizzo, and Cardi B, and follows the story of a group of strippers who begin to embezzle money from stock traders and CEOs who visit their club.

The film had its world premiere on September 7, 2019, at the Toronto International Film Festival, and is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on September 13, 2019, by STXfilms. It received positive reviews from critics, with praise for Lopez's performance.

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:40 pm
Star Trek XI

Post Re: Hustlers
Such a delight, might be my favorite of the year! J Lo is sensational and Constance honestly deserves awards attention for Destiny

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:14 am
Extraordinary

Liked this a lot. Both Constance Wu and J Lo are terrific.

Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:36 am
Star Trek XI

Calling it now, Constance is coming for that oscar!

Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 pm
Hold the door!

This was probably the sexiest movie I’ve ever watched, I had to cover my eyes at points it was too much temptation. Game of Thrones has nudity, but it’s never shot like this. The story was eh, the performances are ok. J Lo is unreal at 50.

C

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:35 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

zwackerm wrote:
This was probably the sexiest movie I’ve ever watched, I had to cover my eyes at points it was too much temptation.

Look, a pair of tits -----> ( o ) ( o )

Isn't this the sexiest post you have ever read? And keep those eyes open.

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:30 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Hilarious, heartbreaking and poignant. The entire cast is pitch-perfect across the board - Cardi B is hilarious, Julia Stiles gives the movie a grounded presence, Lili Reinhart and Keke Palmer are fun comic relief and Constance Wu is riveting as the audience's viewpoint - but Jennifer Lopez steals the entire movie and deserves an Oscar nomination. She's absolutely wonderful and captivating (between her insane entrance to the way she enters every scene to her lovely final moments). One of the year's best, if not the best.

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:16 am
Profile YIM
Sbil

A rollicking, slinky cool delight of a heist movie that knowingly subverts the male gaze and presents its stripper characters as people, not plot devices. A surprisingly complex examination of female friendships and mentor/partner relationships. Writer/director Lorene Scafaria has made a film that both celebrates and damns lavish excess, depending on who's benefiting from it.

A wonderfully diverse ensemble cast of women is terrific. Constance Wu is a captivating lead as Dorothy/Destiny - she keeps the film grounded with a natural, layered performance. Keke Palmer and Lili Reinhart provide strong support, and Cardi B and Lizzo show immediate presence in their (somewhat unfortunately) cameo-ish roles. While everyone is strong, Hustlers belongs to Jennifer Lopez, who is an entrancing, charismatic fireball dynamo in her best performance to date. Not only is she mind-blowingly stunning at age 50, this performance feels like the culmination of what her acting career and megastar persona have been leading to. Ramona is the den mother whose greed and callousness gets the best of her, but she's also a wise, weathered woman whose experience has made her kind of a sage. Her entrance to Fiona Apple's "Criminal" is one of the more intoxicating movie entrances I can remember - it's impossible to take your eyes off J. Lo and her pole dancing.

The soundtrack is absolutely incredible. Opening the movie with Janet Jackson's "Control" and ending it with "Miss You Much" spoke to me on a DEEP level.

Drain the clock, not the cock.

A-

Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:54 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I've seen this three times already lol. I love this movie.

The scene where Ramona walks through the curtains after getting Gary's credit card is fucking badass and probably my favorite part.

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:12 pm
Profile YIM
Star Trek XI

Saw this again last night and loved it even more! Constance and J Lo better get awards attention here or there’s just no justice lol, their last scene broke my heart!!

“For Lily!” “Who could give up that baby? But I like to keep her with me?” :tears:

Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:28 pm
Star Trek XI

thompsoncory wrote:
The scene where Ramona walks through the curtains after getting Gary's credit card is fucking badass and probably my favorite part.

That scene, Ramona’s introduction, the Gimme More More montage and the Birthday Cake scene where they all strut in were all perfect, it’s so damn hard to pick a favorite scene lol. The timely 2000s soundtrack was amazing too

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:48 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Magnus wrote:
medicore.

I live, I die, I live again!

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:55 pm
Keeping it Light

It's a fine film, I don't really get any of the superlative praise, but it's a juicy story nicely made. J. Lo is definitely the star of the film and so far in the year it might garner a supporting nomination, though I don't think it's amazing enough to be a sure thing. And it's a nice cast overall, Constance Wu plays a different kind of role than I've seen her in before and Keke Palmer and Lili Reinhart solidly complete a multiracial group. Liked Julia Stiles in her small role too. There's pleasant use of music and its well shot and edited from start to finish as well. But I also think the story doesn't culminate to anything really memorable or nothing spectacular really happens. It's really just a bunch of strippers taking advantage of a bunch of nyc yups until they pushed it a bit too far. It's in capable hands with Scafaria, but it isn't transformed in anything more either.

B

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:48 am
Forum General

Would probably give it a B- or 6.5/10.

A fine experience but definitely over-hyped.

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:43 pm
Star Trek XI

All a matter of opinion I guess, if it entertains people that’s all that should really matter tbh. Best movie of 2019 for me

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:42 am
The Kramer

I thought this was pretty darn good. The first third of the movie had me thinking A Stripper Is Born. The camera work is so intimate and it really brings you into these people's lives.

I do wish there had been some type of recognition that what they did was wrong though. Everybody escapes this mess with minimal consequences.

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:20 am
Superman: The Movie

I never thought I’d see the day where it is 10000% believable a stripper could be as successful as J. Lo is (at least in that opening scene) without taking off a single piece of clothing. And the rest of her performance is pretty incredible too. I would’ve liked a couple of more scenes though where she has the swagger she does when she’s wearing the fur coat on the roof.

Two things work against her though: Constance Wu and the plot.

Constance Wu is not terrible, but I wouldn’t say she’s good either, and working directly opposite Lopez doesn’t do her any favors. And her “Oscar showcase” scene where she cries in front of Julia Stiles was absolutely abysmal (though to be fair I might have misread that scene and she’s maybe intentionally putting on a act).

As for the plot, outside of the Christmas scene, I feel like this movie should e been a little more fun. Sure what they’re doing as abhorrent, but it also gets repetitive fast.

Lopez great. Movie average.

B

And can we please stop comparing every film depicting crime to Goodfellas? Pleeeeeeease.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I think this is one of the best of the year. It was a blast. Lopez, Wo and even Palmer are at the top of their games here but it really is Lopez who walks away with the movie. She deserves all the buzz that she's getting about her performance. It's also a gorgeously shot movie. Can't wait to see it again.

A

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is still my favorite of 2019. So good.

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:31 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

Eh it was alright. I enjoyed it, but I didn't give a damn about any of these characters. J Lo is great and god damn does the woman still look amazing at her age, but her character wasn't the least bit likable. Constance Wu was good, but I wasn't really ever invested her character either. Honestly, the actress who played the Grandma and Julia Styles stood out the most IMO.

B-

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]