Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Ready or Not 
Devil's Advocate

Post Ready or Not

Quote:
Ready or Not is a 2019 American black comedy horror film directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett from a screenplay by Guy Busick and R. Christopher Murphy. The film stars Samara Weaving as a newlywed who becomes hunted by her spouse's family as part of their wedding night ritual. Mark O'Brien portrays her husband, with Adam Brody, Henry Czerny and Andie MacDowell as members of his family.

The film had its world premiere at the Fantasia International Film Festival on July 27, 2019, and was theatrically released on August 21, 2019 by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. The film has grossed $11 million and received generally positive reviews from critics, praising Weaving's performance and the blend of dark humor and thrills.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:36 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Ready or Not
The shadow of Get Out hangs over this as without the talents of actors like Bradley Whitford, Catherine Keener or Allison Williams, Ready or Not's murderous family doesn't feel as entertaining or memorable of a parody of rich people as you would hope it to be. I found myself hoping it would lean more into the humor of the pampered rich kids too young to remember the last hide and seek game not knowing what they're doing, or give them more creative and hilariously gruesome deaths. Most of the best moments in that area were given away in the trailer. Nevertheless as a thriller watching Grace fight her way through the night and the film at one point being open to the possibility she might lose it is entertaining, with the key being potential future household name's Samara Weaving physical performance. Overall no classic but a relatively solid horror-thriller.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:48 pm
Wallflower

One of the very best horror films of the year. It's gorgeously shot, suspenseful, funny. Just a lot of fun. Samara Weaving is a terrific lead. Adam Brody is great too.

I've seen it twice so far and wouldn't be opposed to going again.

9/10 (A)

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:53 pm
Extraordinary

Better than I was expecting. Thought the ending was great although the last line kinda didn't land for me.

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:32 am
Wallflower

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Better than I was expecting. Thought the ending was great although the last line kinda didn't land for me.

Really? I thought the last line was perfect.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]