Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Trust 

What grade would you give this film?
A 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Trust 
loyalfromlondon

Post Trust
Trust

Quote:
Trust is a 2011 American drama film directed by David Schwimmer and based on a screenplay by Andy Bellin and Robert Festinger. It stars Clive Owen, Catherine Keener, Viola Davis, and Noah Emmerich.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Trust
You know, you could just look in the request thread instead of clogging up these threads with your "amazing" guesses.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:25 pm
Pure Phase

A good film centered on a tough subject: criminals using the Internet to prey on children, as well as the impact of sexual assault on the victim and his/her family.

Friend-turned-director David Schwimmer (who made his directorial debut a few years ago with the Simon Pegg comedy Run, Fat Boy, Run, which couldn't be more different) and writers Andy Bellin and Robert Festinger could have gone wrong in two opposite directions. On one hand, the initial scenario--Will and Lynn Cameron's (Clive Owen and Catherine Keener) teenage daughter, Annie, played by Liana Liberato, agrees to meet "Charlie," a so-called student athlete she's flirted with in chat rooms, in real life, and he turns out to be a man in his 30s with nefarious intentions--could have given way to a typical, Taken-style revenge film, with Owen's character hunting down the pervert and going medieval on his ass. Which might have been entertaining and darkly satisfying, but this film has nobler, smarter intentions.

The film also could have gone wrong by becoming an overly vanilla after school special, dealing in holier-than-thou sermons and easy answers. To the film's credit, it finds a middle ground. It acknowledges the father's intense feelings of violation and failure, and his blossoming lust for revenge, but his lunges and plots always prove impotent. His journey becomes not one of vengeance, but learning how to reconcile with and help heal his aching daughter. Clive Owen gives a very powerful performance, one of his best.

The real star, however, is young Liana Liberato. The 15-year-old actress has a very tough role (especially since, following the rape, the girl refuses to believe she was wronged and continues to act as if she has a romantic future with the perpetrator), a role defined by intense mood swings, and she doesn't miss a beat, expertly using her face to express the character's inner confusion and sorrow. As good as Owen and Keener are, and as sound as most of the screenplay is, Trust soars or crashes based on her, and she meets the challenge.

The film isn't perfect. A subplot involving Clive Owen's character's job as an ad exec is underdeveloped and a bit too obvious ("See! You created ads for clothing companies objectifying and exploiting underage female models! How do you feel now?!" the film more or less screams), and a creepy standalone sequence during the end credits satisfies certain curiosities, but distracts from the beauty of the final conversation between Owen and Liberato. Overall, though, it's a nicely made, fascinating, and supremely well-acted drama well worth your time.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:47 pm
Pure Phase

Oh, plot hole alert: cameras in the mall?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:48 pm
Extraordinary

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:10 pm
Wallflower

An excellent movie with a couple of great performances by Liana Liberato and Clive Owen. Currently one of the year's best.

8/10 (A-)

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:04 am
Veteran

A good movie that ultimately gets bogged down by its own plot.
Spoiler: show
For much of the movie, it is spent through the eyes of the father who is bent on seeking revenge. Yet, he never even comes close to figuring out who the suspect is let alone catching him. The emotional weight of this horrible crime is lost as we spend more time looking for the sexual predator than it is seeing how it's taken a toll on the family but most importantly, the girl.
The movie is also unbalanced.
Spoiler: show
The son coming home for Thanksgiving and learning about his sister's encounter was one of the worst scenes. What's the point of having him learn about that when it carries no emotional impact? Instead, he awkwardly tries to comfort his sister to no avail.
It would have made more sense had they just made this a nuclear family of 3 only.

Still, those are just minor quibbles. The film was punctuated by some great performances especially by Annie. Clive Owen gave a believable and understated performance as the father. The ending was great as it not only closed the book on a terrible ordeal but it also reaffirmed the movie's theme about being careful as to who you can trust.

8/10 (B+)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:35 am
Pure Phase

I thought the Thanksgiving scene with the brother had emotional impact. Not because of the brother, but because of her and her reaction to her father's perceived "betrayal."

Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:44 pm
We had our time together

It's pretty good and Liana Liberato is a revelation. She was incredible in this and easily stole the show from everyone else. Loved the ending conversation. B+

Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

This is a film that I didn't even realise was made, but it's really excellent. It stars Clive Owen, Viola Davis, Catherine Keener and a load of nobodies, but it's about a peodophile that grooms Clive Owen's daughter. It's really well acted by all, and really well crafted by the director, David Schwimmer (Ross from Friends). I'm really glad that he directed it because I've been wanting to like his stuff since leaving Friends, and so far, as with Run Fatboy Run, it's been flat.

The movie really gives an insight into how a teenage girl can so easily be groomed and feel that she is loved and special, and then how deep the impact is when the realisation comes about exactly what did happen. It also shows how her father is preoccupied with hate for his daughter's attacker instead of comforting her and lifting her back up from her trauma.

The only thing I wanted to see was his face get smashed in, but it doesn't and that's why this movie is different from others. It shows off how good of a film-maker Schwimmer is now. The techniques used in the film are, while not unique, they are creatively used. The final shot (actually the whole final "scene") embodies just how scary the situation is, and that these sick people might be our teachers, doctors, next door neighbours, we just wouldn't know.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Putting it on my list to watch.

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:47 am
now we know

I've definitely recommended it to you before.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:51 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

So I finally watched this.
An excellent drama, well acted and just such an impactful look on reality.

A-

Sun May 10, 2020 3:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]