Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Angel Has Fallen 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Angel Has Fallen 
Keeping it Light

Post Angel Has Fallen

Quote:
Angel Has Fallen is a 2019 American action film directed by Ric Roman Waugh, starring Gerard Butler and Morgan Freeman in the lead roles, with Jada Pinkett Smith, Lance Reddick, Tim Blake Nelson, Piper Perabo, Nick Nolte and Danny Huston in supporting roles. It is the third installment in the Fallen film series, following Olympus Has Fallen (2013) and London Has Fallen (2016).

Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:10 pm
Top Poster

Post Re: Angel Has Fallen
I like the Fallen series a lot, but this 3rd entry makes no sense whatsoever in the way they set it up and allow it to play out.

In this entry we have Mike Bannon back in name only as the film expects us to believe that he's just a hardened SS Agent trying to make director. No mention is ever made of his heroic efforts from the first 2 films.

You would think that after saving the President and the US from nuclear disaster in Olympus has Fallen and Saving saving him again after 5 world leaders are assassinated in London has Fallen. He not only would be a national hero known worldwide, Decorated with ever possible reward ever created, and probably offered all kinds of money deals that would make him and his family pretty wealthy. Next the steps the government would take to ensure after the first 2 films that the security is fail safe would be 1000 times stricter than what happened in real life after 911. Nope the film ignores all that reasonable plausibility.

We open the film with Mike on a training facility owned by an old Army buddy who owns a Private army. He get's to show the young guys how it's done when you are against impossible odds. Only problem is Mike is battered and has lingering health issues from all of the conflicts in his life. This is all to set you up for maybe he isn't super human as most of the action movies make them out to be.

While out on fishing detail with former speaker of the house now the Elected President from the previous films. Once again the leader of the free world is under attack from another "Hey wouldn't it be cool" device of explosive drones that are only set to target every SS agent on site. Magically as one has clear sites on Mike "someone" turns the targeting off allowing him to survive and save the President once again. After waking up in the hospital Mike's handcuffed and the powers that be finger him as the prime suspect based on a recent 10 million transfer to his account and HPPA violations of his rights about his current health.

What follows is what has been told and scripted dozens of time before with much better results. The villains are no surprise the moment they speak there first words on screen. The cameo's while great are also so predicable. This all sets up a pretty stupid finale that wants you to believe that once it's revealed what you already figured out already. The bad guys choose to finish the job rather than flee for no real reason at all than to hey let's have one last gun battle.

Better to go back and watch the first 2 over the top movies in this series than watch this.

D-

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:54 am
Keeping it Light

I enjoyed this at least as much as London and really settles itself into one of my favorite action franchises. Waugh gritty directing style works well with the film, the action is good and well shot and Butler is still his uber coolness while also being placed more as a family man that needs a break. The score and overall pace and editing of the film is just solid and they did a good job continuing Mike Banning's story with this entry. But the script is not the best, the baddies are pretty thinly written, predictable and the CGI leaves room for improvement. It's not on the level of Wick's style and fluid set pieces, but it has created it's own little brand of R-rated action I'm also fond of.

B+

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:07 am
Extraordinary

ANGEL HAS FALLEN

It's nothing amazing but it is Butler's franchise. Freeman doesn't have much to do here but act scared. I liked Nolte as the father/prepper. The action was pretty good and entertaining. I thought it was better than London Has Fallen and I would be game for another episode of this series.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:03 am
Forum General

Eh I thought this was the weakest of the films in this franchise. I didn't think any of the action was all that exciting until it got to the finale, and the whole Fugitive aspect while different than the previous films just wasn't as engaging IMO. Butler is still a badass in the role though and I did like Nick Nolte as his estranged father, but man where Danny Huston and his generic group of henchman complete weak sauce in this.

C+

Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:08 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I thought the smaller scope and personal focus helps but it does not help that they double down on the faults of first movie. From the first 5 minutes you can figure out the problem and there aren't many surprises aside from Smith's death scene. The first movie was WAY better than these last two installments.

Sat May 09, 2020 5:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]