Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Extraction (2020) 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Extraction (2020) 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Extraction (2020)

Quote:
Extraction is a 2020 American action thriller film directed by Sam Hargrave and screenplay by Joe Russo, based on the comic Ciudad by Ande Parks, Joe Russo, Anthony Russo, Fernando Leon Gonzalez, and Eric Skillman. The film stars Chris Hemsworth, Rudhraksh Jaiswal, Randeep Hooda, Golshifteh Farahani, Pankaj Tripathi, Priyanshu Painyuli and David Harbour. The plot follows a black ops mercenary who must rescue an Indian drug lord's kidnapped son in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

The film was released on April 24, 2020, by Netflix. It received mixed reviews from critics, who praised the performances of Hemsworth and Hooda and the stunt work, but lamented the story and excessive violence.

Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:44 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Extraction (2020)
I liked the premise and whole setup of this film but the action scenes and execution is disappointing. The baddies are probably left for sequel so we don't get a true conclusion with them. The conflict between the main Mumbai vs Bangladesh folks is not explored enough. Half the movie has action scenes where Hemsworth's army trained mercenary is fighting teenage slum kids. There are loads of unintentional humor in the movie one that made me laugh for 5 minutes is where Hemsworth literally slaps a kid :funny: , or cries his worries to the kid when he can't do it with adults. The final bridge fight/gun scene is uninspired. Also the baddies use binoculars to see the bridge in one scene (its across the town) and then boss shouts "see what's going on there" and their goons are shooting our heroes in next scene (surprise surprise) and when Hemsworth dies the camera takes shot of the boss getting emotional (lol).

I like Hooda so much better in this compared to Hemsworth who was good but just didn't do much with his character, Hooda's character was the only complete character here. Harbour is completely wasted in here. The rest of the cast is collecting paycheck. Its difficult to route for the victim, he is caught doing drugs and running from an overprotective (yet jailed) father because he is tired of having money(?)

Poor execution for an otherwise passable setup and script.

Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:03 am
Forum General

The movie itself wasn't great, but I really did enjoy the action sequences that were on display in this. You could really tell that the director was definitely a fan of the John Wick/Raid films, because a lot of it is very well staged and choreographed. Chris Hemsworth looked great doing the sequences too and and hell I even thought he handled the dramatic stuff very well. Randeep Hooda's character was pretty awesome as well even if he should have gotten a bit more to do and David Harbour's cameo was entertaining. This movie definitely had some pacing problems at times though and that ending was a little too ambiguous IMO, but overall I did enjoy it and honestly between this and 6 Underground I do hope we get more of these big budget, hard R action flicks even if I personally prefer seeing these kinds of movies on the bigscreen.

B

Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:47 pm
100% That Bitch

C

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:56 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I kinda ended up loving it. It's a ruthless, brutal, bad-ass, unforgiving, hard-boiled action flick. And there is just enough heart to make the ending beautiful and poetic.

Action scenes are extremely violent and very well choreographed. The show stopper is of course the 15 minute long single take action scene that starts with a complex car chase, continues as a foot chase, then becomes a cat and mouse stalking sequence in apartment houses, turns into a great close quarter combat with knives and guns, some parkour, amazing stunt work, a killer knife fight in the street, and an enormous kill count. There are many hidden cuts of course, but it's still a triumph to watch.

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:25 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Netflix once again overdelivers on a poorly rated action film. This movie was so awesome in the first half. Total ripoff of John Wick but John Wick deserves to be ripped off. The second not so much, Hemsworth fighting kids isn't quite as exciting as watching him mow down adults. Still, that long take scene is one of the most thrilling I've seen and Extraction is a MUST WATCH because of it.

Also, he's totally alive at the end. Was expecting him to be the on who shot the villain in the bathroom, but coming back as the kid's guardian angel is better thematically.

Sat May 09, 2020 1:32 pm
Keeping it Light

Liked this a lot, the action is pretty excellent and it's just a very cool film. Thought Hemsworth was great, nice to see him play an Aussie too and the Indian bodyguard is good too. It's a bit predictable in parts which stops me from completely loving this, but it has a good story overall to make it very enjoyable actioner.

B+

Sun May 10, 2020 1:48 am
We had our time together

Extraction was just fucking awesome. Hemsworth is such a beast. So far, the best movie of the year. Let the sequel come.

Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:04 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]