Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Cinderella Man 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 22 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33

Cinderella Man 
Teh Mexican

holy hell! lately all these boxing movies have been pretty darn good! :happy:

Cinderella Man is a sad, moving, inspiring and exciting movie. The performences were fantastic, i was surprised i liked Russell Crowe, i usually hate him :P

A

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:05 am
Devil's Advocate

Fantastic. Probably, actually definitly the most riveting movie experience of the year for me. Not only are the depressionist and drama scenes great, the film is also amazingly exciting and gripping all at once. I've never felt this involved in a movie for a long time. Russell Crowe was superb, as always. He really nailed it down to a tee. Even the way he walked, the way he gestured and strided. Wow. Renee Zellwegger though I usually hate her also did a fine job, she was bearable and likable in this flick. Paul Giamatti was good, though I agree with Lecter and such that this is by far not his best performance. He wasn't much better in this than what he was in Big Fat Liar(which is not necessarily a bad thing, heh). All the rest of the supporting extras were great too, including the guys who played the other boxers like Louis and Baer. Only problems are that it is a bit slow with some of the depressionist parts, and it does have cliches. But, there's not much else stopping it from being perfect. One of the year's best movies. #6 on my 2005 list as of now.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:35 am
Veteran

Russell Crowe picks some great movies, doesn't he? L.A. Confidential, The Insider, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Master And Commander, and now this. Even if he is a jerk, he's a great actor. The whole cast is quite good. I found it very moving, especially the Braddock family's struggle to stay together. It's too bad this movie is being ignored by the year end awards circuit, mainly because the makers and cast have all been recent Oscar winners, except for Giametti. I hope this is his year.

My grade: A.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It's a very solid Depression Era boxing film with another great performance by Russell Crowe. Funnily enough, I thought that Paul Giamatti actually delivered a decent, but not very noteworthy performance. Renee Zellwegeer was pretty good as well. I never understood the hate for her. She is really a good actress.

The movie is also well-made on a technical level. The cinematography, the editing, the art direction...none of them are really outstanding, but all of them are pretty good with no bi flaws. The only flaws in this film lie in the black and white portrayal of the good and the "bad" guys, making Max Baer a pretty one-dimensional character. There are also a few rather cheesy moments too.

Other than that, it is a really good drama flick and I think it actually got less award attention than it deserved. I thought it was a better movie than Seabiscuit.

Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Cinderella Man
Andy's emoticon review was genius!! However unlike him I loved this film. Yes its revisionist sentimental fluff but what can I say the direction from Howard makes it work. The Boxing matches made the blood pump like no other depiction of a a sport in action bar maybe Frankenheimer's 1966 Grand Prix film.

Max Bear being used as a villian was very lazy and unfair though.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:24 pm
why so serious?

It's been a while since I last saw it, but I loved it. The performances from Crowe and Giamatti are top notch, and I was invested in the comeback story despite knowing how it would all turn out in the end. Fantastic movie.

A

Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:43 pm
He didn't look busy?!

it's very Ron Howard, which is always a pretty good thing... but never a great thing.

B+

Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:57 pm
Profile WWW

I should watch this again but when I saw it before I thought the direction was very solid and moreover I liked Crowe's performance. 8/10

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3