Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Anna (2019) 

Grade?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Anna (2019) 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Anna (2019)

Quote:
Anna is an upcoming English-language French action thriller film written, produced and directed by Luc Besson. The film stars Sasha Luss as the title character, with Luke Evans, Cillian Murphy, and Helen Mirren also starring.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:02 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Anna (2019)
In the midst of the #MeToo erosion of his career, Luc Besson has unexpectedly directed his best film since the late 1990s. This, in my opinion, truly feels of a piece with Léon: The Professional, The Fifth Element, and particularly La Femme Nikita. It is absurd, anachronistic, exciting, fashionable, hyper-violent, and sensual. Russian supermodel Sasha Luss is an archetypal Besson casting discovery. It is hard to tell from this film if she is a great actress in any conventional way, but she is supremely alluring, magnetic, and mysterious and cuts an agile, athletic figure in the chase and fight sequences. One in which the title assassin has to stab, shoot, punch, kick, and leap out of a restaurant filled with burly henchmen is an exciting highlight.

The more experienced players—Helen Mirren, Luke Evans, and Cillian Murphy—lend a healthy amount of gravitas and color; Evans in particular shares a very sexy chemistry with Luss.

The film also has a playful, self-consciously complicated structure in which we frequently move forward or in reverse through time, including seeing scenes play out on multiple occasions with new information or another vantage point. This element might be even more effective with less on-the-nose textual signposts (i.e. "three years earlier," "two years later"), but it is still very beguiling and enhances the intrigue of the espionage and double- and triple-crosses.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:53 pm
Extraordinary

I enjoyed it as well. I thought the way the movie kept going back and forth made it more interesting and intriguing. Think this will find a following down the line considering how dismal its doing in theaters.

Loved the Need You Tonight montage.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:29 am
now we know

This film is almost good. The supporting cast; Helen Mirren, Cillian Murphy and Luke Evans are a neat trio, and Luc Besson's sense of editing is also admirably sharp and snazzy. But the film falls more than it leaps, I'm afraid. It tells us it is 1987-1990, yet the main character, Anna, is seen using a laptop and a modern mobile phone on many occasions. This sort of stuff just instantly irks me and forces me to label it rubbish. It's a shame, too, because apart from stuff like that (and the idea that an 8-stone catwalk model can throw fully-grown men and kick their asses) it's well made and kept me invested until the end.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]