Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 A Rainy Day In New York 

Rate this film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

A Rainy Day In New York 
Devil's Advocate

Post A Rainy Day In New York

Quote:
A Rainy Day in New York is a 2019 American romantic comedy film written and directed by Woody Allen. It stars Timothée Chalamet, Elle Fanning, Selena Gomez, Jude Law, Diego Luna, and Liev Schreiber. The film follows the romantic exploits of a young college student (Chalamet) on a weekend trip in his hometown of New York City, trying to further bond with his college girlfriend (Fanning) while she is in the city to interview a famous film director (Schreiber).

The film was completed in 2018, but its distributor Amazon Studios halted the release of the film following controversy regarding Allen and the Me Too movement. It was released in Poland on July 26, 2019, with international distributors set to distribute the film in multiple European, South American, and Asian countries.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:24 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: A Rainy Day In New York
Allen’s direction is his finest in a while, the movie glides around New York from character to character with his jazzy score in a fantastical way. It is enjoyable to be in his hands once again. Chalamet is strong once you get past the pretentiousness, Fanning is a babe, and Gomez is very entertaining in a personality I didn’t expect from her. I’m left feeling like it’s a deep film that I missed something about though, I’ll have to read more interpretations online. Fanning’s day is almost too much of a fantasy, and Chalamet’s mom being a prostitute came out of nowhere, there is clearly a lot going on with his character in terms of both repressed sexual things and high class self loathing. A lot of characters feel like versions of Allen unsurprisingly. I have to think about it some more, but an interesting film to add to his resume that may be more appreciated more one day.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:30 am
Wallflower

Not one of Allen's better recent films but still reliably enjoyable. It's pretty to look at and a pleasant enough way to spend an hour and a half. Of the 3 leads I thought Gomez was surprisingly the best.

6/10 (B-)

Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:56 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Never heard of this will check it out this weekend.

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its enjoyable in bits and pieces but far from Allen's best. All three leads do well but the females come out better acting wise though I could only route for Gomez's character. There is just not enough time for characters and relationships to grow here, mostly because there are so many unnecessary side characters.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:25 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Better than the disastrous Wonder Wheel but still incredibly slight. The three leads are great though, especially Gomez.

Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:11 pm
Profile YIM
We had our time together

I was shocked how awful both Chalamet and Fanning were. I'm usually a fan of both but they were miscast here. Gomez was the best, easily.

Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:27 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]