Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Aladdin (2019) 

Grade?
A 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Aladdin (2019) 
now we know

Post Aladdin (2019)

Quote:
Aladdin is an American musical fantasy film directed by Guy Ritchie, from the screenplay co-written with John August, and produced by Walt Disney Pictures. It is a live action remake of Disney's 1992 animated film of the same name, which is in turn based on the eponymous Arabic folktale from One Thousand and One Nights. The film stars Mena Massoud in the titular role, alongside Will Smith, Naomi Scott, Marwan Kenzari, Navid Negahban, Nasim Pedrad, and Billy Magnussen.

Aladdin was theatrically released in the United States on May 24, 2019.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:14 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Post Re: Aladdin (2019)
Oh wow! I enjoyed more than I thought. It was charming & sweet & FUNNY! Will Smith was great as the Genie.
Jasmine! Oh my goodness :wub2: :wub2: love Naomi Scott! The dude playing Aladdin was good as well. The marketing team failed selling this movie. I hope people see it regardless.

Thu May 23, 2019 9:21 pm
Extraordinary

Jafar sucks.

The rest of the cast is good. The movie is enjoyable overall. It's servicable just like Beauty and the Beast is, not sure why the marketing didn't work as well for this as that.

Fri May 24, 2019 12:32 am
Hold the door!

Definitely more reason to watch this than the BATB remake, there are way more differences and they’re for the most part interesting. Will Smith and Naomi Scott kill it, Aladdin and Jafar were meh. Not much rewatch value, but was worth seeing once.

B

Sun May 26, 2019 11:47 pm
Extraordinary

I think the changes done to Jasmine's character were really well done.

Mon May 27, 2019 12:31 am
---------

I like all the changes, and really dug the cast.

They had an enormous challenge with the inability to give Raja, Abu, and Iago the big expressive stuff the animated film had, but they pulled it off by leaning into the more human stuff you can do with live actors.

My biggest beef was the genie form of Jafar. That looked incredibly terrible, especially when compared to the original where genie Jafar was pretty cool looking.

Tue May 28, 2019 12:07 am
---------

Also, I got the vague feeling they want to do a sequel to this. I'm down for a live action theater version of Return of Jafar.

Tue May 28, 2019 12:09 am
The Kramer

This was my favorite of the live-action remakes that have popped up so frequently this decade. It is the only one that captured the magic of the original for me, while at the same time it kind of works as its own thing and I forgot, more than once, I was watching a remake. My least favorite moments were when they had to stop the film for “Never Had A Friend Like Me” or “A Whole New World.” Though the musical aspects do work well in other parts, “Speechless” is really great and if you weren't already thirsty for new Jasmine it will get you the rest of the way.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Thu May 30, 2019 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed May 29, 2019 8:55 am
The Kramer

MGKC wrote:
Also, I got the vague feeling they want to do a sequel to this. I'm down for a live action theater version of Return of Jafar.
I would love a sequel with an original story. Arabian Nights fantasy worlds are so rare it’d be a smart thing to do even if the movie fails to hit the heights of the Jungle, Beauty and Lion King remakes.

Wed May 29, 2019 8:56 am
The Kramer

Will Smith genie was annoying at first when he was trying to match the manic energy of Robin Williams. As usual though, when Smith is playing himself its more than enough to get by. “In ten thousand years I aint never been more embarrassed” got a huge laugh.

Wed May 29, 2019 9:28 pm
Extraordinary

ALADDIN 2019

I didn't like the idea of Guy Ritchie directing this or seeing Will Smith play Will Smith playing the Genie. I was Wrong! I loved the movie beginning to end. The cast is great. The vocals were good where they needed to be. I enjoyed all the musical sequences. The visuals were excellent. Carpet was funny. The only guy who was weak was Jafar. Should have got someone older and more menacing. Will Smith was fantastic, funny, charming as the Genie. Great role great performance. Massoud was great as Aladdin. Great eyes great hair. Naomi Scott was excellent as Jasmine and she's got a good voice and I liked her solo. Rajah was realistic and that just still amazes me. I don't think it was a real tiger but maybe I'm wrong. Apu was cute and Iago was excellent and I liked it when he was turned into this giant menacing parrot. Scary! Definite Rewatch and Definite Buy. I would love a sequel with this cast.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 am
Indiana Jones IV

I kinda loved it? I wasn't planning on seeing this, but then the boyfriend mentioned being curious about it and I figured "Why not?". That it actually turned out to be very enjoyable caught me by surprise. Most of the cast was great and/or incredibly charming, it brought the world of Aladdin to life in a wonderful way through both visuals and music, and with all that easily blew past the (admittedly low) expectations I had for this.

My only real gripe was Jafar just kind of... not being all that great. Hot as hell, but failing to bring any of the charisma that the animated version of him had.

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:11 am
Keeping it Light

Quite the lovely film. Certainly I had doubts considering early promotional images and the first trailer, but it all worked out well. Smith, Massoud and Scott are great in the leading roles, they carry the film well. Jafar only is a bit of downer, he feels awkward, but aside from him it's quite the exotically Arabic and colorful tale. It succeeds at being feel good and brings out a lot of joy in watching it, mostly because of the songs. The story misses a bit of zing in between them, but the songs are classic and I was looking forward to every next one, they provide the wonderful type of entertainment I like going to the cinema for. I'm not too much into the Disney classics actually and I don't remember the original well enough to really know what changes been made to this either, but this live action version is a pleasure.

B+

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:11 am
Forum General

I'm glad I finally saw this, because I did end up enjoying it. Naomi Scott was the clear standout IMO and while I liked Will Smith as the genie its just Will Smith being Will Smith which is always entertaining to watch, but it just doesn't come close to Robin Williams. Mena Massoud was okay as Aladdin, but I didn't completely buy him in the role and Maren Kenzari was just a weak, non threatening version of Jafar all together and easily the worst part of this movie.

I really liked how colorful it was at times though and the CGI on Abu, Raja, Iago and the magic carpet were all really well done. The songs were pretty good too and even though this was better than I expected considering Guy Ritchie being at the helm I still think he should stick to doing more films like The Gentleman.

B-

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]