Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Bird Box 

Rate this film:
A 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
C 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
D 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Bird Box 
Keeping it Light

Post Bird Box

Quote:
Bird Box is a 2018 American post-apocalyptic thriller film directed by Susanne Bier and with a screenplay by Eric Heisserer, based on the 2014 novel of the same name by Josh Malerman. The film follows a woman (Sandra Bullock) who, along with a pair of unnamed children, must make it through a forest and river blindfolded to avoid a supernatural entity that takes the appearance of its victims' worst fears and causes them to commit suicide. Trevante Rhodes, Jacki Weaver, Rosa Salazar, Danielle Macdonald, Lil Rel Howery, Tom Hollander, BD Wong, Sarah Paulson and John Malkovich also star.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:25 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Bird Box
Though A Quiet Place is the most obvious and immediate comparison, this reminds me a lot of a few mediocre-to-bad apocalyptic or alien-invasion films from the 2000s and early 2010s, most notably The Happening, The Invasion, and The Darkest Hour (distinguished from Joe Wright's Churchill biopic by the the).

I feel sad to an extent for Sandra Bullock because she delivers a very committed and emotional performance here, but she is caught in a stilted and dull "horror film" which is too tasteful and...beige to be scary, with Susanne Bier (After the Wedding, Serena) showing no aptitude for staging suspenseful set pieces or conjuring a sustained atmosphere of menace. She notably fails to capitalize on the fact the film's characters are forced to navigate the world blindfolded, a conceit suggesting myriad opportunities for immersive sound design and (non)-point-of-view shots. It is also not cleverly written or profound enough to be engaging as drama, with a lot of thinly conceived characters and underdeveloped world building. A very tedious two-hour sit overall.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:36 pm
100% That Bitch

I kinda loved it and yeah Sandra Bullock always this role so easily

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:17 pm
Forum General

I wasn't a big fan of this one honestly. Sandra Bullock is fantastic in it and I really liked Trevante Rhodes's character, but I didn't care for any of the other characters and I thought the way they handled the threat in this movie was pretty weak and unsatisfying IMO. David is right that this film has a lot more in common with mediocre to bad disaster flicks like The Happening or The Darkest Hour than AQP. That movie handled the concept so much better though, and there was actually a lot of tension in certain sequences unlike this movie. The only reason this isn't as bad as something like The Happening is only because it is actually well acted for the most part, but its still pretty damn forgettable and it gets really silly and predictable at times too.

C+

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:41 pm
Hold the door!

This was awesome and really intense. Netflix has its first truly iconic original movie on its hands. My only complaint is that there’s too many questions left unanswered at the end. We still know so little about what actually happened to everyone.

A-

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:09 pm
now we know

There is a reason this is a Netflix movie, because it's a TV-level version of A Quiet Place. It is totally illogical and not very interesting. The melodrama inside a suspense horror plot just doesn't work here, and it's mostly due to the script and performances. A lot of people will say Sandra Bullock's performance is great just because it's Sandra Bullock. But quite frankly I've no idea where she's got this Meryl Streep level of recognition from. I think she's mostly poor in this film. The early banter-y scenes in the hospital with her sister are so terrible I wished I WAS blind.

The film is kind of stupid how they expect us to believe that after five years of being in one place, they are only now beginning to run out of food. So in five fucking years they didn't bother to cultivate their own food? Though I saw lots of food being grown in a few shots, so not sure how they're running out food. The other reason they're contemplating leaving was because of the mental patients. But again, in five fucking years they never ran into them? If not, then keep doing what you're doing! No need to move at all. And how are the mental patients getting food? I find it hard to believe they are growing food on allotments. Then comes more non-logic...when the boat capsizes, "boy" and "girl" somehow survive the rapids. That's quite some natural swimming ability they have there. Were they taking swimming lessons at night when the alien presence was sleeping? Fucking ridiculous movie. Just take the fucking blindfold off for a second to peak. But nobody ever does. The story is not clever. But it thinks it is. It limits itself for the effect of stakes. And did they expect us to be mindblown that the aviary was a blind hospital? It was so half-heartedly revealed, and I just shrugged it off as "well, ok".

John Malkovich is pretty much the only reason to watch it. He's hilarious and has some great lines.

Avoid.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:13 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

If not for Sandra Bullock, one might confuse this for the Asylum version of A Quiet Place. It's not the worst movie ever, but the production quality and most of the acting is so bad.

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]