Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Silence 

Grade?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Silence 
now we know

Post The Silence

Quote:
The Silence is a 2019 English-language horror film starring Kiernan Shipka and Stanley Tucci. It is directed by John R. Leonetti based on a screenplay by Carey Van Dyke and Shane Van Dyke that adapts the 2015 horror novel of the same name by Tim Lebbon.

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:18 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: The Silence
A forgettable, but pretty entertaining creature feature IMO. I get why so many people didn't like it, but I only found out about this movie a couple of days ago anyways, so its not like I went into this with high expectations to begin with. It's essentially another cheap, bargain bin copy of AQP even though I know the book this movie is supposedly based on came out before. There is no way this would have made if it wasn't for the success of AQP though just like Bird Box, but at least this one didn't frustrate me as much as that one did which is easily the most positive thing I can say about this movie.

C+

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:53 am
The Kramer

Post Re: The Silence
I enjoyed this, though I won't it's some amazing story. It goes over a lot of the same ground as the two similar movies from the past year, and it has far too many occurrences where you wonder "why in the world would that person do that?" Or how is the internet still working when half the country is being eaten? Tucci and Shipka give strong performances though and it grounds the movie, making you care about their plight as much as the monsters in the sky. Bird Box never accomplished that for me.

The creature design in this movie is A+ and that's what I came for. These super-bats are way scarier than a shiny light in the sky, and even more so than the unstoppable alien killing machines of A Quiet Place. Instead of being vague, they tell us what the bats are, where they come from, what their strengths and weakness are and why we can't stop them with all our modern weaponry. This increases the ways we can relate to the crisis and thus increases the terror from every encounter. The only thing that isn't quite right is their lack of echolocation, but if they had that too then there is no movie. Nature and film must always have a balance.

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]