Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Tequila Sunrise 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Tequila Sunrise 
College Boy Z

Post Tequila Sunrise
Tequila Sunrise

Quote:
Tequila Sunrise (1988) is an American crime thriller film written and directed by Robert Towne, and starring Mel Gibson, Michelle Pfeiffer and Kurt Russell, with support from Raúl Juliá, J. T. Walsh, Arliss Howard and Gabriel Damon.

The film, only the second (after Personal Best) to be both written and directed by Academy Award-winning screenwriter Robert Towne, was commercially successful, making over $100 million at the box office worldwide, but critical reception was mixed. One author was of the opinion that, "perhaps because the elements were so irresistible — Robert Towne directing Gibson, Russell and Pfeiffer in a California crime film — an aura of disappointment settled over Tequila Sunrise, no matter how engaging, and profitable, it turned out to be."

Tequila Sunrise was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Cinematography.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:02 pm
We had our time together

edit: It's so long ago I've seen this film, I don't know if the grade is still correct

Last edited by Riggs on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:00 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Brilliant movie, Mel Gibson is always brilliant, but Kurt Russel was amazing in this. I love this film, not as good as Braveheart or anything like his other films ,but its a nice film.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Oh what a web we weave when we practice the art of deceit, 16 June 1999

Tequila Sunrise has one of the best scripts ever written, and it is no wonder considering that it is written and directed by Robert Towne. And overall this movie may seem confusing at first, but after you view it several times, you will realize that this is a masterpiece.

The cinematography in this film is beautifully crafted and the direction moves at just the right pace. But what really makes this film a treasure is the characters and the situations that they are put in and how they resolve them. One of the best lines in the film ( and there are many to choose from ) is when Joanne ( Pfeiffer ) confronts Mac about his notorious past with drugs. She notes that he was out with Andy Leonard the night he was arrested but he assures her that he was not selling drugs. Leonard was. Why were you there she wonders. " I was trying to teach him how to sell them. What it comes down to is that Andy is smart enough to be a lawyer but way to dumb to be a crook. " So what does that give you, she wonders out loud. It gives him respectability he replies. But for who she wonders. " You, so that in case I ever asked you out on a date you'd accept. "

This is an old fashioned love story that has Gibson as the ultra cool former druggie but when it comes to the ladies he is as shy as a 20 year old virgin that hasn't even been kissed. The movie develops this plot and many others and then ties them all up nicely at the end of the film. This is one great film and it is worth seeing if only for the great cast and wonderful script.

10/10

Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Tequila Sunrise
I only recently saw this, and I'm not really sure why, the amount of Kurt Russell/ Mel Gibson films I haven't seen can be counted on a single hand. Maybe I assumed it was going to be more of a love story which it is, but wrapped around an incredible story of friendship and the mere circumstances of where you work impacting everything. This is an awesome film with tremendous acting from the three leads. And man oh man, I forgot how fucking brilliant an actor Raúl Juliá was. He is hilariously twisted in this film. The dynamic of best friends on different sides of the law, mixed in with enemies on the same side of the law is a surprisingly fresh idea, that even more surprisingly has been copied to death over the years. The score, and way they shot the film is fantastic too. The shot of Gibson and Russell in childhood swings with the sun behind them is such a beautiful shot, and in one take. There is not much to dislike in this film.

A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:18 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Tequila Sunrise
It a damn decent not-Lethal Weapon film. Michelle Pfeiffer is great as usual, though the whole cast is good at the selling the idea that we don’t know where anybodies true loyalty stands. It is a bit of a corny 80s music at times, they really didn’t need to Crank the jazz music any time there was a love scene.

Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]