Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Triple Frontier 

Grade?
A 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Triple Frontier 
now we know

Post Triple Frontier

Quote:
Triple Frontier is a 2019 American action thriller directed by J. C. Chandor, with a screenplay by Chandor and Mark Boal, from a story by Boal. The film stars Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac, Charlie Hunnam, Garrett Hedlund, and Pedro Pascal.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Triple Frontier
I loved this. It just hits the right notes: super involving heist story, from the tense initial reconnaissance to subsequent fallout, including the borderline gallows humor of their loot increasingly dwindling; crisply staged and appropriately violent action sequences; a terrific cast with a persuasive sense of camaraderie even if no single character is super well-developed; etc. It feels very commercial, yet it also maintains a core integrity and intelligence, which is always an appreciated blend.

It also inspired me to pause for a moment and marvel at the Netflix era. This is such handsomely (and, presumably, expensively) mounted and star-driven adult entertainment writ large, and it just quasi-quietly landed on a streaming service on a Wednesday.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:31 am
Gamaur's sex slave

Haven't seen this yet, but I agree with your second paragraph. I also hope Netflix or other online providers keep churning out these mid-range movies that lately don't find their way to the cinema, where it's either $10m or $200m productions and barely anything in-between.

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:44 pm
Keeping it Light

Excellent, Triple Frontier is a macho driven tense action drama. The band of brothers is deliciously cast, with every star playing a character with an own identity that complete a group I got engaged with from the moment they appear on screen. The tone of the film is mostly gloomy yet with a certain lightness to it too, many scenes are full of constant tension that kept me at the edge of my seat. There's a sense that shit is about to hit the fan and then it often does putting the group in peril, it offers both bitterness through the fuck-ups and satisfaction in however they get through it. The films feels a bit imperfect through its imperfect characters but they're also the beauty of it.
The sound, score and cinematography is great and it's fast paced. Too fast sometimes as I enjoyed certain settings or scenery so much I wished they lingered a bit more. It's making me look forward to live it over again already.

A

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:37 am
now we know

This is fucking excellent. Superb story, great action sequences, believable camaraderie, and it just feels like a privilege to watch this film. I was fucking blown away when Affleck died! This is certainly the Den of Thieves of 2019, and the best men-on-a-mission film I've seen in a long time. Everything about Triple Frontier is just so cool, too. And I'm so glad that a film finally made the connection that Charlie Hunnam and Garrett Hedlund look similar. Best film of the year so far, and who'd have thought it would be a Netflix film. Life is unreal.

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah I knew stuffp and Algren were going to love this. I honestly wish I could say the same as well, but it didn't quite reach that level for me, although I still really enjoyed it. This cast worked fantastically well together though, and I definitely bought into every bit of banter that they had with each other. It was just cool seeing these guys interact, especially the family connection between Hunnam and Hedlund. You couldn't get more perfect casting for brothers IMO. Also, the action sequences are very well done and just the right amount of gritty and bloody. My only real problems with the film were that it was a little slow at times and something about how Ben Affleck's character is handled felt kind of off to me, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I think the ending could have been a bit stronger too, but it did surprise me how many of them actually survived.

B+

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:08 am
Keeping it Light

Saw it again this weekend, definitely holds up on repeat viewing. Not much new to add I guess, just love the setting and the characters, great story and execution. A real treat to watch.

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:01 am
The Kramer

This is a great fucking movie.

It is almost always really tense, but it never gives into being overly sensational or nihilistic like so many do. The characters don't really end up accomplishing anything, but that feels like the right ending. They chose the wrong path for the right reasons, almost got away with it, but their own greed literally brought them out of the sky.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:02 pm
The Kramer

I will say that, as great as this looked in 4K, I really wish I had been able to see it in theaters. It captured my attention away my phone for almost nearly the entire run time, but the few times it didn't and an unnecessary bathroom break did hurt the experience a little for me. Now that's mostly my own fault, but it wouldn't have happened in a theater.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:05 pm
now we know

Definitely holds up on repeat viewings, though today's was, like, my fourth or fifth. What I really love about this film is you are with them all the way along. You're the sixth team member, and you're constantly agreeing or disagreeing with the team's decisions, working out what you would do, etc. It's a riveting ride.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:38 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

I have to see this. It’s a forgotten/overlooked film because it was released on Netflix. A theatrical run would have set this up as a success or at worst a bit of a cult film.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]