Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Colossal 

Rate This Film
A 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Colossal 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Colossal

Quote:
Colossal is a 2016 science fiction comedy film directed and written by Nacho Vigalondo. The film stars Anne Hathaway, Jason Sudeikis, Dan Stevens, Austin Stowell, Simon Pegg, Agam Darshi and Tim Blake Nelson.

The film had its world premiere at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival. It was released on April 7, 2017, by NEON.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:10 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Colossal
I loved this. It's an incredibly smart and well-developed story of female empowerment with a monster movie facade. It's incredibly well-written and directed like a big sci-fi blockbuster, but the human conflicts at the center of it are what resonated the most with me. All of the actors are fantastic. Anne Hathaway delivers one of her strongest performances in years, the character is actually reminiscent of her role in Rachel Getting Married in that she's a bit of a lovable mess. She's equally matched by Jason Sudeikis, who without giving too much away turns the whole 'nice guy' persona on its head. The best scene of the movie is when he reveals his true colors to everyone at the bar near the middle of the film. Dan Stevens is also solid in a supporting role as is Austin Stowell. It actually builds tension very well and leads to a powerhouse finale that had me on the edge of my seat. Highly recommended. A-

The short film that plays before this is also absolutely hilarious too. I was dying at the third part at the art gallery :funny:

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:20 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

Yeah I honestly kind of loved this as well which is a big surprise. It turns the giant monster movie formula on it's head and ends up being something very unique and interesting. As good as Anne Hathaway is in this and I agree that it's definitely some of her best work I thought Jason Sudeikis was absolutely fantastic. They do a complete 180 with his character half way through and holy shit is it believable. Easily the best performance have ever seen from the guy and I always appreciate when actors play against type. Also, I was expecting a light hearted dramedy, but this movie was dark as fuck at times, but you know what I liked that. I didn't really care for Dan Steven's character though, but he's fine in the role.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:17 am
Cream of the Crop

Colossal is stuffed full of great little story ideas, but it's a tad short on the connective tissue. Luckily, that doesn't matter all that much because the movie is just so darn charming and offbeat. Jason Sudeikis continues to demonstrate his attainment of his leading man stripes, and of course, I'm an eternal Anne Hathaway fan. Then there's the fact that I laughed out loud, several times. *B+*

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:03 pm
Wallflower

Loved this! Hathaway and Sudeikis were great. One of my favorites so far this year.

9/10 (A-)

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:47 pm
Extraordinary

Uh... this was a fucking weird movie lol

Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:37 am
Extraordinary

The flashback showing the cause of the whole thing is Sudeikis's character as a child destroying a school project.... Uh lol ok

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:10 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was great but yeah the cause and the overall second half wasn't handled well, plus the death of so many people is just taken for granted. I really like Sudekis here, he does better than Hathaway and that's no small feat because she is great here as well. Its dark and funny and a weird concept but still maintains a sense of fun.

7/10

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:06 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

This is all over the place in the 2nd half. I still enjoyed it overall, and there are some very funny parts. But some wild tonal swings. Sudeikis was great as a villain tho.

B/B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]