Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Double (2013) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Double (2013) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post The Double (2013)
The Double (2013)

Quote:
The Double is a black comedy film written and directed by Richard Ayoade and starring Jesse Eisenberg and Mia Wasikowska. The film is based on the novella The Double by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It is about a man who is driven nearly to breakdown after finding out his life has been usurped by a doppelgänger. The film was produced by Alcove Entertainment, with Michael Caine, Graeme Cox (Attercop), Tessa Ross (Film4) and Nigel Williams as executive producers.

Sun May 11, 2014 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Double (2013)
A comic suspense film inspired by an early novella by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Double is set in a claustrophobic and grim world of imprisoning cubicles, shadow-veiled pathways, and apartment buildings as imposing as they are cold and generic: an inhospitable environment in which the human condition is most unwelcome. It is never specified whether this is the near or distant future or even a type of alternate past, but it is not hard to spot the films from which aural and/or visual inspiration is drawn, including Brazil, The Element of Crime, Eraserhead, and Modern Times. This, however, is not a simple game of cataloging allusions and identifying references for an hour and a half. The Double is a grand entertainment with imagination, rage, romance, wit, and a well-conjured, rather literary atmosphere of bureaucratic menace.

The plot turns on Simon James, a woeful introvert who lives alone and is only barely recognized by his colleagues after seven years of employment. He pines for and spies on one of them, Hannah, but his shy nature restrains him from even trying to establish a deeper relationship. His uneventful life is upended when he encounters James Simon, his doppelgänger, an exact physical replica who is no other way resembles Simon himself. James is charming, outgoing, self-indulgent, sly, and prone to womanizing. At first, the two share a certain truce, with Simon helping James excel on a professional level in return for a personal education in confidence and flirtation, but their coexistence grows unstable as James advances. He begins to lord over and abuse Simon before threatening to erase his existence altogether.

Star Jesse Eisenberg has never scored a more rewarding or suitable part than the dual roles of Simon James and James Simon. They give him the rare chance to divide and explore the screen presence he has solidified over the last decade, with Simon representing his ability to play inward and troubled characters defined by their youthful sensitivity (as in The Squid and the Whale) while James calls for the sarcastic short fuse he employed in The Social Network and Now You See Me. He is convincing on both counts, but particularly adept at ushering the audience into the tortured romantic soul of the protagonist. As Hannah, Mia Wasikowska, who I believe may be the most talented of today's up-and-coming stars, is more enchanting than ever and, in a refreshing twist, invited to explore the artistic angst and desire blazing beneath her character's elusive-dream-girl exterior. A veritable who's-who of British, Australian, and American character actors lend aid to the stars in the roles of varying size, including the venerable James Fox as "the Colonel," a patrician-bordering-on-totalitarian figure exerting an unusual power over the society presented in the film, and Noah Taylor, who lands a few ace one-liners as a horny and thorny almost-friend to Simon.

The Double is the second film directed by Richard Ayoade, a British comedian and television star perhaps known best for The IT Crowd, a series with a cult fan base. Between this and his directorial debut, the French New Wave-indebted coming-of-age story Submarine, he has introduced himself as an enthusiastic directorial talent more than capable of standing alongside a peer such as Edgar Wright. It is clear he is a devout student of both popular culture and film form and has a sharp mind overflowing with ideas for set pieces and shot compositions, as well as a genuine respect for characters who might be termed abnormal or outsiders.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 11, 2014 2:46 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Great to hear! I'm a fan of Ayoade and really enjoyed Submarine.

Mon May 12, 2014 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I suspect you will highly enjoy this then.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon May 12, 2014 5:20 pm
---------

This was crazy and unnerving. Eisenberg is the entire movie, but he nails it. I don't think I could even grade this movie though - somewhat similar to Under the Skin.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:15 pm
Keeping it Light

I needed some time to get into this film, it only really got going once the double appeared. From then on, it becomes A haunting game of cat and mouse, that becomes more eerie after every turn. Everyone is actually really wonderful in this, but what make the film so good is the directing of Ayoade. Only knew him from IT crowd, and no idea he had this in him. He creates a grim setting, that is disturbing but fascinating at the same time. There's also a wonderful score, that perfectly catches the tone of the film. Even the narrative isn't very interesting for me, the film takes my attention with it's cinematography and editing.

B+

Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:19 pm
now we know

It's ok. It's trademark Ayoade in terms of quirkiness and comedy, which I did get enjoyment from. You could just see him deliver every line that Simon and James utter. It's just...I hated the setting and the production itself. It was well nicely shot - had a sort of low-budget makeshift feel to it (apart from the doubling of Eisenberg), but the film just falls into an odd area where I can admire things without actually liking it. Especially with Mia's character. I hate it in films when they turn the girl into a quirky cool one. It's lustful direction in that sense. Probably Ayoade's dream girl. So I guess the pleasure here is with the supporting characters. I enjoyed seeing Chris Morris, Chris O'Dowd, Tim Key, Sally Hawkins, and Paddy Considine.

C+

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]