Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

now we know

Post Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
I didn't like how they expected us to know "blue". You know, as if we all should know it because it was such a famous element of Jurassic World. Felt they jumped a few stages with that one. None of the character names from Jurassic World were embedded in my psyche at all. Not like Ian Malcolm or Alan Grant or Robert Muldoon. So the first mention of "blue", and I didn't know what the hell they were talking about. Second mention I was ok.

The Indoraptor was aptly named. I do not remember seeing it outdoors once. ;)

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:42 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

stuffp wrote:
but if there's one thing the film needed, it was more Jeff Goldblum really.

I love Jeff, and his Ian Malcolm is a highlight of the first film (with several iconic lines)...but I was not a huge fan of his role here. It just feels too shoehorned in, too divorced from the central action. You can almost hear the ka-ching of Goldblum cashing his paycheck.

Seems I disagree with consensus here. I thought the film became significantly more interesting and entertaining once the action switched from the island to the mansion.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:55 pm
Superfreak

the opening scene is fucking awesome.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:14 am
Superman: The Movie

The worst blockbuster since Batman v. Superman.

I’m stealing this from somewhere (might even be from here) but Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom makes Jurassic Park III seem like Jurassic Park.

I can’t remember the last time I was this bored by a blockbuster (seeing it on the same day as Incredibles 2 didn’t help). This movie has two set-pieces and they’re nothing to write home about. One we saw in the trailer with the volcano. The other is the insane (not in a good way) finale. And fuck the idea of clone girl right in the face. We need some sort of excuse to let the dinos out at the end. No, we can’t have our leads set them free because they’re not absolute morons. Oh, I know. Let’s back-build some dumb backstory that Hammond had a partner (he might’ve...I don’t care) who lost a daughter and was in so much grief that he genetically created a new one (that timeline makes no sense, but who cares?) that way she’ll feel simpatico with the dinosaurs and free them...even though she’s some sort of human and has fucked the human race (but we deserve it, right Ian Malcolm?).

Inept, boring and stupid is no way to make a blockbuster J.A. Bayona, though I think most of the blame should fall to Trevorrow, Connolly and whatever cynical fuck at Universal decided to greenlight this shit script.

D

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:18 pm
Profile WWW

And of course...

Jurassic Park

The Lost World
Jurassic World

Jurassic Park III

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Were people surprised by the clone thing? I thought it was obvious from her very first scene, considering Malcolm talks so obviously about what else the technology will be used for right before they cut to the mansion.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:41 pm
now we know

I did not even know the girl was a clone until I just read it in Jmart's review! lol. I thought she was just adopted or something. That point totally flew over my head. And that's kind of annoyed me now. What a shitty thing to include in a Jurassic Park film.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:05 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

David wrote:
stuffp wrote:
but if there's one thing the film needed, it was more Jeff Goldblum really.

I love Jeff, and his Ian Malcolm is a highlight of the first film (with several iconic lines)...but I was not a huge fan of his role here. It just feels too shoehorned in, too divorced from the central action. You can almost hear the ka-ching of Goldblum cashing his paycheck.

Seems I disagree with consensus here. I thought the film became significantly more interesting and entertaining once the action switched from the island to the mansion.

I did enjoy the more horror oriented aspect of that portion, because that is what Bayona excels at, but those human villains really bring it down IMO. I mean you got the stereotypical Russian bad guy in a room filled with a whole bunch of rejects from a Bond movie bidding on dinosaurs that for some strange reason don't even seem high enough. I could be wrong, but a dinosaur only costing 5 or 20 million dollars sounds insanely cheap. Then you get even sillier stuff like the bit with Ted Levine going into that cage and the Indoraptor almost winking at the camera before it kills him which was funny, but really cartoony. I don't even want to go into the clone stuff with the little girl which came even more out of left field, but yeah you could tell Bayona directed the hell out of some of those scenes which is a shame seeing the material he had to work with.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:54 pm
now we know

Dil wrote:
a dinosaur only costing 5 or 20 million dollars sounds insanely cheap

I also thought that. But then the prices started to get higher and it seemed fair. This is the black market after all.

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Jmart wrote:
The worst blockbuster since Batman v. Superman.

Batman v Superman is nothing compared to Justice League.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:06 am

Yep, it is nothing. Justice League is at least watchable. I’ll take watchable over incoherent (theatrical) or monotonous (director’s cut).

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:51 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I think David was saying that, in terms of bad movies, Batman v Superman has nothing on Justice League.

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:53 am
Profile WWW

I know. I turned his words to suit my opinion.

We’re having fun with words!

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

C

Soon as they left the island it turned into shit.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:31 pm
We had our time together

I enjoyed the first half quite a bit, but the second half when it's becoming a horror movie just bored me to no end. Big disapointment after the very entertaining first one.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:37 am
Profile WWW
Child Actor

I really enjoyed the film on the island. I was "meh" with everything at the mansion except for the Indoraptor scenes, had a nice horror vibe. The acting was ok.

It's not as good as Jurassic World, but certainly better than JP III.

C+

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:14 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

The only bits when once they return to island are done well but anything before and after doesn't do well. After going in the right steps with Jurassic World this went completely off rails with this entry. Disappointing because I liked Bayona's direction slightly better than that of Trevorrow

Tue May 26, 2020 1:36 am
Devil's Advocate

This is a little bit different than I expected, lighter, more kid characters, somewhat cheesy villain characters, etc. It works when they're on the island however when it's just them being chased by one raptor in a mansion it feels small for a sequel to one of the biggest movies of all time. By the end it just feels like a set up to the third movie more than anything else. I'm not sure raptors who can respond to laser directions is that game changing of a war weapon which hurts the stakes a bit. I think Bayona's action directing is really good on an individual scene level with a lot of fluid scenes. Pratt is solid charisma wise and I appreciated the BDH cleavage. This could have been really good but structurally the plan on paper was questionable. I think they had all they needed on the island for a full second movie between the dinosaurs, bad guys and lava, or at least they could have stayed there for 2/3s of the movie and then gone to the mansion. Still though I appreciate the effort at trying something different than the usual blockbuster sequel.

Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:46 am
Indiana Jones IV

this is so bad, but in a way that almost works. It’s cartoony and ridiculous and so fucking contrived, but the tone and vibe are the only instance of the newer trilogy that feel internally consistent. and the set-pieces felt playful and interesting instead of pure rehash. Whereas Jurassic World felt like an ironic re-engineering of the first JP minus any sense of soul or wonder, and Dominion was, I don’t even know, so convoluted and asinine that it was too painful for me to even finish, this one felt like a cartoon version of “dinosaurs in the present day” and it’s fine. It’s terrible but it’s fine, almost fun. B-

though I hated the drawn out Brachiasaurus-tragically-dies-on-the-pier-from-lava scene, fuck.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2