Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hotel Artemis 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Hotel Artemis 
Keeping it Light

Post Hotel Artemis

Quote:
Hotel Artemis is a 2018 American dystopian action crime thriller written and directed by Drew Pearce, in his directorial debut. It stars Jodie Foster (in her first appearance on-screen since 2013's Elysium), Sterling K. Brown, Sofia Boutella, Jeff Goldblum, Brian Tyree Henry, Jenny Slate, Dave Bautista, and Zachary Quinto.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Hotel Artemis
An intriguing mediocrity. One yearns for the science-fiction-adjacent neo-noir Hotel Artemis to crystallize and transcend because there is so much potential, from an enticing high-concept setting (an unlicensed hospital for the criminal set in futuristic Los Angeles) to an eclectic cast including Dave Bautista, Sterling K. Brown, Jeff Goldblum, musician Father John Misty, and the iconic Jodie Foster in her first film role in five years. But the film, the directorial debut of Iron Man 3 and Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation writer Drew Pearce, never finds an appropriate rhythm; it is a film of self-contained great moments (of acting, of world building), dull interludes, and a general air of the disjointed, and it begins more strongly than it ends. The most successful element, besides an exciting-but-too-short hallway fight sequence featuring a knife-wielding Sofia Boutella, is the chemistry shared by Bautista and Foster; she is the title location's beleaguered head nurse, he is her imposing orderly slash security guard, and their banter is endearing.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:16 pm
now we know

I hate this title. I keep wanting to say Hotel Armetis.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I enjoyed this. I got such a John Carpenter vibe from it throughout at least some of his earlier stuff and the movie just looks and feels like something I would have watched on tv back in the 90's. I wouldn't call it an action film though, because so much of it is people talking and walking around a Hotel, but I still found it pretty engaging and involving. Bautista was utilized perfectly here and is probably my favorite character in the movie. I also thought Sterling K. Brown, Jodie Foster and Sofia Boutella were really solid aswell. I just wish Jeff Goldblum was in it more than he was, and the Zachary Quinto sub plot could have been interesting if it was developed more. The ending is kind of weak too.

B

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]