Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Isle of Dogs 

Rate this film:
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Isle of Dogs 
Keeping it Light

Post Isle of Dogs

Code:
Isle of Dogs is a 2018 American stop-motion animated film written and directed by Wes Anderson, produced by Indian Paintbrush and Anderson's American Empirical Pictures. It features an ensemble voice cast, including Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum, and Bob Balaban. It was the opening film of the 68th Berlin International Film Festival.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:27 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Isle of Dogs
Not my favorite Wes Anderson movie and it's certainly not Fantastic Mr. Fox, but it's not bad. It's gorgeous to look at too - the animation is stunning. Tilda Swinton's vocal cameo is hilarious. B

Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:25 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Isle of Dogs is not my favorite film by Wes Anderson (a director I love, love, love), but it is still excellent. It is nothing short of a aesthetic and world-building extravaganza; every stop-motion frame is a delicious smorgasbord of color, detail, and invention. And it is frequently hilarious in Anderson's singular, deadpan way. Where the film falls ever so slightly short of his best, in my opinion, is the cast of characters. This may have the greatest voice cast ever assembled for a single animated film, but there is no single figure as enigmatic and memorable as, say, Max from Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaum, or The Grand Budapest Hotel's Gustave H. (Bryan Cranston's Chief comes closest. His compatriots, voiced by, among others, Bill Murray and Edward Norton, have charming moments, but are underutilized, particularly during the third act, and never quite emerge as distinctive individuals. Greta Gerwig's Tracy is a rare example of a misjudged Wes Anderson character; she feels uncomfortably shoehorned in.)

1. The Royal Tenenbaums
2. The Darjeeling Limited
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel
4. Moonrise Kingdom
5. Rushmore
6. Fantastic Mr. Fox
7. Bottle Rocket
8. Isle of Dogs
9. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:36 pm
The Kramer

This movie is solid, but as mentioned not as great as Fantastic Mr. Fox. It could have used some more humor, and while the kinda-love story is cute I wish it didn’t come at the expense of the other dogs. They are all basicaly forgotten about once the action starts. Jeff Dogblum even stops hearing rumors apparently.

But the world building, score and core story all very good.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:28 pm
Indiana Jones IV

God, I love Isle of Dogs! (no surprise as I love Wes Anderson, and dogs). I need to see it again to let it sink in, but safe to say overall I thought it was fantastic. Mid-tier Anderson, which is excellent. (not Budapest Hotel or Fantastic Fox perfection, better than Darjeeling and Moonrise Kingdom (my opinion y'all)).
David wrote:
Greta Gerwig's Tracy is a rare example of a misjudged Wes Anderson character; she feels uncomfortably shoehorned in.

At first I had some similar thoughts, 'why does there have to be an American female hero in this?' but the character grew on me a lot. My friend who I saw this with, female, had just spent a week in Japan, and thought it entirely appropriate that the rabble-rouser was American -- "Japanese women wouldn't rebel like that," obviously an over-simplification but not inappropriate in its illustration of cultural values. I enjoyed her scene in the bar with the scientist, and by the end was rooting for the freckled firebrand (or was that acne?).

The movie evoked in me a kind of melancholy awe, a warmth and gentle outrage, serenity and tempered glee. And encouraged me to appreciate even more the dogs in my life.

A

Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]