Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ready Player One 

Rate this film:
A 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
B 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Ready Player One 
now we know

Post Re: Ready Player One
Steve wrote:
Wade getting kidnapped by the Resistance and meeting Art3mis in real life, no tears are shed whatsoever, the whole "they killed my aunt" thing doesn't even register until 30 minutes later when he tells the bad guy, "You killed my mom's sister." Mega fail in translating the significance of: these guys aren't just internet baddies, they'll fucking kill you and your fam. Totally, tonally flat. Wade doesn't seem to give a fuck because he just met a hottie and her underground rebel fighters.

The *gee-whiz* nerdist glee of the book doesn't translate well to screen. And the romance was terrible. Any credibility gained from Wade's "I don't care what you look like" evaporates when presented with the real life Art3mis, who is obviously very attractive. "I found love!" okay....

It's a lot of noise and spectacle signifying nothing.

:funny: Brilliantly put.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Magnus wrote:
the song selection seemed to be just a shuffle play from a Spotify "That's So 80s!" playlist. I love me a good 80s soundtrack but like everything, the songs are just thrown out at random with almost zero thought put into it.

I agree with this. I obviously liked the music as I dig 80's music, but the songs rarely felt like they were needed when they were played. Especially the times it would play when entering the IOI building. I swear one started up every time. I thought the 80's music was much better utilized in last year's Atomic Blonde.

That being said I really wasn't very interested in this movie. The trailers did nothing for me. But my cousin wanted to see it and had nobody to go with so I agreed to watch it with her. To my surprise I had a lot of fun with it. Yeah a lot of the animation is pretty unappealing but that's just a small quibble. I generally find it difficult to get into movies like this. Especially big, loud action sequences like the extended one towards the end. But I was never bored, which is impressive given the running time.

Tye Sheridan and Olivia Cooke are appealing leads and I had fun with all of the pop culture references. I would like to see a sequel.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:53 am
Hold the door!

This was fantastic. There's a lot of story and it's convoluted at times, but the 2 and a half hours flew by. Very engaging, even without the pop culture references. It borrows from a lot, but it creates a pretty fresh and exciting experience. I actually think the OASIS was gorgeous, and I was incredibly pleased with almost every sequence in it.

A-

Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:57 am
100% That Bitch

Meh
C

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2