Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Pitch Perfect 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Pitch Perfect 2 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Pitch Perfect 2
Pitch Perfect 2

Quote:
Pitch Perfect 2 is a 2015 American musical comedy film directed by Elizabeth Banks and written by Kay Cannon. It is a sequel to the 2012 film Pitch Perfect, which was loosely adapted from Mickey Rapkin's non-fiction book, titled Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate A Cappella Glory. The film centers on the fictional Barden University and The Bellas, an-all female acapella singing group. The film features an ensemble cast that includes Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, Ester Dean, Hana Mae Lee, and Alexis Knapp. It was released on May 15, 2015 by Universal Pictures.

Fri May 15, 2015 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Pitch Perfect 2
I thought it was incredibly disappointing. I was looking forward to it a ton because I'm a huge fan of the original and the best comparison I have for it is Legally Blonde 2. The first half is pretty annoying and dire, it amazed me how much on the back burner Anna Kendrick was. The new characters did nothing to further the plot and the subplot with Anna Camp was horrible. It did get better in the last 45 minutes or so but not anywhere enough to save it. The soundtrack pretty much sucked this time around as well and "Flashlight" is stupid.

C

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri May 15, 2015 10:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's not as polished as the first film and runs a little long, but it's still a highly entertaining and hilarious movie with more than a few jokes that made me laugh out loud. I also really liked the themes of friendship and growing up and the way they were handled. Hailee Steinfeld is a likable addition and it's clear that she's going to be the headliner for future movies, and Anna Kendrick shines once again. Rebel Wilson, Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins steal the show though, as well as Chrissie Fit - who is absolutely hysterical. The musical numbers are rousing and well-directed and the climax is undeniably touching. Elizabeth Banks has said that she set out to make a movie that would entertain, and that she has. This should definitely please fans of the original movie and is a more-than-worthy follow up. B+

Fri May 15, 2015 10:31 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

movies35 wrote:
it amazed me how much on the back burner Anna Kendrick was

I thought she was pretty central. Her relationship with Skylar Astin was definitely on the backburner but I was fine with that.

Fri May 15, 2015 10:32 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Felt a little long, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Sun May 17, 2015 4:22 am
Extraordinary

The best parts (especially the battle between all the groups) made me smile and I had a pretty enjoyable time with it but it comes no where near close the first unfortunately. For me this kinda felt like the third entry in the series; I would've liked to see a second installment where they were actually the best group at the school and killing it.

Also, the jokes with the Mexican girl? Too much.

Sun May 17, 2015 5:11 am
Sbil

Only a tiny notch below the aca-awesome original film, Elizabeth Banks guides Pitch Perfect 2 into being the rare comedy sequel that doesn't feel particularly stale or overblown. B+

Sun May 17, 2015 11:38 am
Forum General

The good reviews and WOM for this just stump me.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun May 17, 2015 12:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

I saw the original Pitch Perfect for the first time a few hours before watching the sequel. These films are not my cup of tea in general, and the second one is inferior. The potency, the warmth, of the female camaraderie is reduced; there are charming moments and clever one-liners here and there, but too few. And beyond the obvious financial reward, the film is unsure why it exists: it has no sustained momentum and no center as it builds toward a standard-issue, unexciting climax at a singing contest. The introduction of Oscar-nominated True Grit starlet Hailee Steinfeld as a potential protagonist in future installments falls completely flat (she is as bland as bland as can be, unfortunately), and the returning co-stars are seldom given a chance to expand upon their fan-favorite characters despite a substantial length of nearly two hours. And "Flashlight," an original song treated by the plot as a Second Coming and obviously intended to match the chart impact of "Cups," is a wildly insipid pop song of the lowest order.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 17, 2015 10:45 pm
You must have big rats

publicenemy#1 wrote:
The best parts (especially the battle between all the groups) made me smile and I had a pretty enjoyable time with it but it comes no where near close the first unfortunately. For me this kinda felt like the third entry in the series; I would've liked to see a second installment where they were actually the best group at the school and killing it.

Also, the jokes with the Mexican girl? Too much.

She is Guatemalan, you racist! :funny:

Mon May 18, 2015 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Finally got around to seeing this, and I'm not really sure why I bothered. I absolutely loved the first one, and have watched it many times since it first came out, but the sequel just missed the mark for me. Whenever people weren't singing, I just wasn't really interested in what was going on. The biggest misfire for me was Hailee Steinfeld's character, who was about as interesting as a piece of cardboard with a face drawn onto it. She was just a void of personality, and her complete lack of comedic timing only further dragged down a film that wasn't that funny to begin with. The second half of the film was better than the first, with a few jokes that actually worked and more singing to distract from the (lack of) plot, but overall this just did not work for me.

C

Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:15 am
Hold the door!

This was enjoyable enough, but it will be forgotten by the end of the year. I love Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson, but they deserve higher caliber work than this. The covers are really fun to listen to, and the parts with Fat Amy are funny, if still a little too lowbrow. There's not really too much more to be said than a sequel to the far superior Pitch Perfect now exists.

B

Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:22 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was enjoyable but Banks as the director is the problem here. Too many scenes are left to hang in there more than their welcome. The addition of Stienfeld serves this well and the finale as always is great here but definitely a step down from the original.

B-

Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]