Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Star Wars: The Last Jedi 

Is this film strong in the Force?
A 52%  52%  [ 14 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 8 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27

Star Wars: The Last Jedi 
Extraordinary

Post Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Quote:
Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares to do battle with the First Order.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:49 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
The review embargo ends tomorrow at 9 am PST. Let's just say there's plenty to talk about.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:49 am
Romosexual!

Gives us your social media reaction

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:54 am
Extraordinary

Saw one big spoiler... hopefully won't see anymore. interested in why some people are saying they'll turn their backs on the franchise lol

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:31 am
Extraordinary

Rev wrote:

It’s bold, emotional, and goes places I wasn’t prepared for.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:03 am
Romosexual!

The Dark Shape wrote:
Rev wrote:

It’s bold, emotional, and goes places I wasn’t prepared for.

How do u compare/rank it with the other movies in the franchise?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:37 am
Extraordinary

"What do you know about the Force?"

"It's a power the Jedi have that lets them control people and make things float."

"Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong."

What is the Force? What is a STAR WARS movie?

THE LAST JEDI is unlike any other film in the series. It picks up immediately after its predecessor. Its B-plot is a two hour chase as the First Order dogs the Resistance fleet across the galaxy. In many ways, its purpose is to demystify the Jedi - to strip away what makes them special and then build it up again.

At the heart of this is Luke Skywalker, and Mark Hamill's performance is sad and terrifying... except when it isn't, because there's a twinkle in his eye, and this is still Luke, not just a grumpy hermit who looks like him. Luke isn't concerned with the nature of good and evil anymore because it isn't that simple. Great good leads to great evil and the suffering of others.

This is the nature of THE LAST JEDI. Kylo Ren and Rey, two sides of the same coin. They're pulled together across the whole film and it's fascinating. In my mind, this is the most fascinating relationship in the whole Saga. They're the deepest, rawest protagonists in the series. It's not about "Will Rey turn evil?" or "Will Kylo be redeemed?"

People will latch onto that, of course. Think pieces will be written about their relationship to the Dark Side and the Light. But every word in those sentences will be wrong.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:00 pm
Romosexual!

WOW!

:D Can't wait until Thursday 7pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:04 pm
Hold the door!

Glad to see there’s some risks being taken.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:45 pm
Hold the door!

Do they blow a big ship up at the end?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:54 pm
We had our time together

Well, this was kind of disapointing. I loved the hell out of Episode 7 (best SW movie ever) and expected Ep 8 to be even better. It came close here and there but overall I wasn't as satisfied. What really worked was the humor, there are some incredibly funny moments in the movie. The best thing about Force was the Finn/Rey relationship and I sure missed seeing them together. Finn's storyline was easily the weakest in the whole movie and seriously brought the movie down, especially in the middle section. Mark Hamill was pretty fantastic and it was fucking great seeing him again in his trademark role. I also loved that we got way more Oscar Isaac this time. The Action was damn good but nothing came close to the Rey/Ren fight at the end of Force. All this may sound like I didn't like it very much but I actually enjoyed it a lot, I was just disapointed after the greatness of Ep7 and thought Rian Johnson would deliver a much more epic film than he did.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

A very good movie that is going to piss a lot of people off.

”Let the past die.”

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Spoiler: show
I'd agree the Finn plot is the weak point (as I don't think he and the other girl end up making any difference to the Resistance's escape).

Kylo and Rey make this movie. I loved every scene they shared and so badly wanted them to team up to do... anything.

So happy Rey is not connected to anyone. Plus they got rid of Kylo's mask.

Luke, as already said by others, is great. The movie left you wanting more from him, so I think they ended up using him well.

Definitely better in plot, characters, and speed than Episode 7, which would make it my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:25 am
Romosexual!

I liked it. When I see it again 3 more times tomorrow I’ll love it I’m sure.
But I’m trying to take in everything I just saw. WOW!

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:42 am
Superman: The Movie

I’m seeing it again on Saturday so I’ll have concrete thoughts by then, but for now...

A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
Revenge of the Sith

Everything above Sith is **** (A-) and above.

Rogue One
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

I think I’ll appreciate the ending with time, but I’m not sure how earned it is. I really did like the last scene though with the kids (the shooting star was kind of dumb). It’s both Luke inspiring the next generation of the rebellion, but it’s Johnson love letter to the kids (and storytellers) in all of us. That kid might as well have had a nameplate on his back identifying him as Rian Johnson. It’s weird that he does this after killing off Luke, which is an especially bold choice after Carrie Fisher died in real life. Speaking of which, that shot of Leia floating through space after the explosion...

Bittersweet is good word to describe this movie. They’ve let the past die. The should open the next movie with Chewy, R2, and Threepio going on a mission in the Falcon only to have it explode after takeoff. Might as well kill off any last ties.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:53 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Second viewing confirms: this is my favorite STAR WARS movie.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:02 am
Superfreak

SHEER. AWESOMENESS.

Best crowd since THE DARK KNIGHT RISES/AVENGERS. Endless clapping. This is the best Star Wars movie that I have seen in a theater by a MILE. A lot going on but thematically very powerful and wrapped up wonderfully. Reminded me greatly of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES. MAJOR props to the ballsy director for actually moving the story forward instead of simply worshiping the past ala Abrams in TFA. Sorry, JJ, but this is a big boy movie. Da Force Awakens is for kids. Driver, Ridley, and Hamil are all totally aces here. Driver/Ren in 2 films has already destroyed Anakin in the prequel in terms of development and awesomeness. I admit the first half is a tad slow, Finn and co. seem like filler at best and as if the writers didn't know what to do with him considering his plot truly goes nowhere. Pretty much the same for Poe too. But the execution of everything once Rey leaves the island is simply flawless.

A few scenes truly stand out that are worth mentioning

1. It's been ages since I heard a theater react the way they reacted to Ren killing Snoke. It was all :shock: :noway: :D :thumbsup: :yes: An incredible story turn executed flawlessly. So glad I avoided the spoilers there.

2. Holdo kicking into light speed & the silence aspect of it was :whaa:

3. Luke fucking Skywalker walking out of the tunnel and facing down the big bad army was :cool: :yes: .

The entire theater erupted at the following moments:
-When he strutted into the room to see Leia :tears:
-When he stands before the entire army :ohmy:
-When the guns stop firing and he just like :whistle:
-When Hux tries to lecture Ren & Res....silences him
-When it is revealed that Luke is actually calling on the island :sweat:
-When Luke says "I will not be the last Jedi" as Rey rescues the remaining resistance :thumbsup:

One big disappointment:
I thought Kylo Ren and Luke were about to THROW DOWN! The set up an epic duel that turns into Luke dodging a few swipes and then showing how he has fooled Ren. I suppose it was unneeded but it would have been hella cool.

I, for one, 100% assume we will see Luke in the sequel given that Leia obviously will not be in it.
But they have achieved something that the prequels failed miserably at: Kylo Ren and Rey are 100% interesting characters whose stories absolutely match the original trio. They have earned their place in Star Wars in their own right in a way that HC's Anakin obviously didn't and McGregor's OWK only did due to OWK legendary status from ANH.

A+. WELL FUCKING DONE to the director.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:12 am
Superfreak

It's boring that Finn and Poe basically do nothing and their story lines ultimately add nothing to the story. However I can think of many acclaimed blockbusters where, essentially, "trying and failing" makes a big part of the film.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:25 am
Superfreak

Luke's death also adds nothing to the movie and feels unnecessary. Should have ended with him in tears on the rock upon the realization that his faith in the Jedi has been returned and ready to rejoin the fight for good.

Could have avoided a lot of fanboy whining and lost nothing.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:42 am
Extraordinary

Excel wrote:
Luke's death also adds nothing to the movie and feels unnecessary. Should have ended with him in tears on the rock upon the realization that his faith in the Jedi has been returned and ready to rejoin the fight for good.

I disagree with this soooooooooooooooooo much.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:44 am

I don't know how to grade this. Parts are great(Luke/Kylo/Rey) but so many flaws in the movie that cannot just be ignored.

Initial thought is like a B+

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:44 am

Excel wrote:

Agreed so much

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:46 am
Superfreak

The Dark Shape wrote:
Excel wrote:

Why.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 am
Extraordinary

Excel wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Excel wrote:

Why.

Because he ascends. Because it literally makes Luke Skywalker myth, the spark for a whole generation of heroes. Because a broken man regains his faith in his moment of death.

There are a thousand reasons. It's beautiful.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:52 am
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Excel wrote:

I'm with TDS.

Luke dying is necessary to move on. Though I also think Leia should have died in this too and its gonna feel kind of dumb that they're gonna kill her off-screen probably now in between the two movies (i'm guessing they say that she had complications from her near-death experience in this movie and it killed her).

but Hamill will 100% be in the next movie as a ghost. I'd be shocked if he wasn't.

I am 100% for moving the story forward. Luke's death, to me, does nothing to move it forward short wise. It feels much more like the writers were all "We need Luke dead to allow to Rey to be top dog" and just off him.

They made up a new Jedi power this time, I'll be SHOCKED if the finale has none of the OT characters. Luke will be back and he needs to FIGHT.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next