Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Wish Upon 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Wish Upon 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Wish Upon

Quote:
Wish Upon is an upcoming American supernatural horror film directed by John R. Leonetti, written by Barbara Marshall and starring Joey King, Ryan Phillipe, Elisabeth Rohm, Ki Hong Lee, Shannon Purser, Sydney Park and Sherilyn Fenn.

It is set to be released in theaters on July 14, 2017, by Broad Green Pictures and Orion Pictures.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:47 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Wish Upon
if you've seen the trailer you pretty much get what you expect. watchable and never boring but laughable and stupid.

the ending LOL

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:19 am
Pure Phase

To a certain degree, Wish Upon plays as a sixth Final Destination film, but in the least interesting, most uninspired way imaginable. The film's structure is very clear: the heroine is given a mysterious, purportedly wish-granting Chinese music box by her father. Her every teenage-angst wish—to be the most popular girl in school, for example, or for her dad to be less embarrassing—is followed by a quasi-comic scene or a pop-music-set montage where the wish comes true. Which is then followed by a person on the periphery of her life violently dying because the cursed music box demands payment in blood. The film almost spectacularly fails to wring even an iota of suspense from those latter set pieces. Unknowing victims engage in routine activities with the potential to become precarious—changing a tire on the roadside, cleaning a garbage disposal, riding an elevator—and we wait for it go awry, but in the way we tediously wait for a bus or a dental appointment, not with any sense of armrest-clenching dread. These scenes are simply boring and exhibit no visual flair, with the PG-13 rating requiring a rapid, sanitizing cut away from any bloodshed or viscera. And any non-horror scene is painful; this film is curiously heavy on scenes of tone-deaf high-school melodrama and, there is no easy way to say this, Ryan Phillippe (poor fellow) playing saxophone. The sole bright spot is a capable lead performance by Joey King, an expressive and gifted young actress deserving of superior projects.

D

P. S. I was waiting for the mother's wishes to be revealed: maybe the eccentric uncle's wealth derived from a wish, maybe a twist revealing the protagonist died as a child and was revived with a wish... But as far as I can tell, the mother being a previous beneficiary/victim of the box has no actual bearing on the plot.

P. P. S. Jerry O'Connell cameo!

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:13 pm
Pure Phase

I love the scene where she is going to throw away the murderous, demonic box, but is given pause by the sweet, sweet sound of Phillippe soloing on sax. ;) Almost as great as the scene where she and her friends celebrate her new wealth by SITTING ON THE KITCHEN COUNTER to eat gourmet finger foods. Wild!

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:30 pm
Wallflower

I totally understand people finding it bad. It kind of is but I also found it to be a decent time-waster and was exactly what I expected. Apparently they cut like 11 minutes from it to make it PG-13. Would definitely be interested in seeing an "R" version.

6/10 (B-)

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:46 pm
Extraordinary

lol at the sax thing.

I also found it funny how the main character visits the neighbor after what seems like weeks after she died that no one else checked up on her. Poor woman.

It would've been interesting to see what the mother wished for, but I guess I don't know how they could've put that into the narrative.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]