Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Bad Batch 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Bad Batch 
Pure Phase

Post The Bad Batch

Quote:
he Bad Batch is a 2016 American romantic black comedy horror-thriller film directed and written by Ana Lily Amirpour.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:30 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Bad Batch
For around 45 minutes to an hour, this is a sensational post-apocalyptic film. It propels its heroine, and by extension the audience, headfirst into a desert wasteland George Miller and Rob Zombie might conceive if placed in the same room for a day. Long portions of the first act feature minimal or no dialogue, and dynamic visual storytelling is used to establish this world of cannibals and outlaws in excruciating, exhilarating, excrement-coated, sun-scorched detail. It hurts, and it is a blast, and it feels bold and creative even if one recognizes other properties from which it borrows. Suki Waterhouse is a fetching lead; Jason Momoa is instantly imposing and striking as a heavily tattooed muscleman (a grandeur slightly reduced once he opens his mouth and unleashes a peculiar, arbitrary "Cuban" accent); and a nearly unrecognizable Jim Carrey has a brief-but-fascinating role as a mute, benevolent recluse. The film unfortunately loses considerable steam in its overlong second hour. It does not become bad in any way, but it is clear more imagination and craft was devoted to imagining this perverse scrapyard milieu than writing a particularly gripping story to set within its cruel, sandy confines. There is the antagonistic presence of Keanu Reeves as a mustachioed Lothario who woos adherents with drugs, music, and functional plumbing, but, despite the A-list casting, he never registers as particularly menacing or enigmatic...just super sleazy. And the film ends with a bit of a shrug, particularly compared to the bang with which it begins.

B

Two more observations:

1. Awesome soundtrack. Loved hearing the underrated British band White Lies at the end.

2. Since I am fond of him, I wish Diego Luna had an extra minute or two of screen time. Every other recognizable player, even Giovanni Ribisi, is at least given a bit of a scenery to devour. The role of the DJ is truly...just there, barely.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:35 am
Keeping it Light

That sucks and sorry about that...it was some sucky timing...as it was still empty when I deleted it, because this one already existed...

Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:17 am
Forum General

I remember really disliking this film. I can't even specifically remember why because it was such a long time ago that I watched it, but I kind of remember most of it being really boring.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:00 pm
Wallflower

I really need to watch this. I've come to like Suki Waterhouse lately after Assassination Nation and New Year, New You.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:16 am
Keeping it Light

It's a pretty cool movie, from Waterhouse's stunning looks, Ribisi and Momoa's eccentric characters, and dystopian plot of a free for all prison in the desert. I wish the story was more interesting though, we're given hardly any backstory and little point is made about what life means for anyone "on the inside". And characters played by Keanu and Jim Carrey are underutilized, more there for their name than a place in the story. But there's plenty of good stuff, the world building is pretty great, a desolated desert, means of how people move around and what they eat are results of a impressive art direction. The film has a great sound track too, definitely one of the best scores of 2017 and Waterhouse is just fascinating to watch in dealing with her situation. It could have been more purposeful but it's very enjoyable to watch nonetheless.

B+

Wed May 15, 2019 7:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]