Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Mummy (2017) 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

The Mummy (2017) 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Mummy (2017)

Quote:
The Mummy is a 2017 American action-adventure horror film directed by Alex Kurtzman and written by David Koepp, Christopher McQuarrie, and Dylan Kussman, with a story by Kurtzman, Jon Spaihts, and Jenny Lumet. It is a reboot of The Mummy franchise[3] and the first installment in the Dark Universe film series.[4][5] The film stars Tom Cruise, Sofia Boutella, Annabelle Wallis, Jake Johnson, Courtney B. Vance, Marwan Kenzari, and Russell Crowe.

The Mummy premiered at the State Theatre in Sydney, Australia on May 22, 2017 and is scheduled to be released in the United States on June 9, 2017 in 2D, 3D, and IMAX 3D.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:49 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Mummy (2017)
This was worse than I thought it'd be.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:56 am

Looks like a shitty cross between Mission Impossible and a generic horror film sprinkled with a touch of something trying to start something bigger

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:08 am
I heet the canadian!

This is so much an Alex Kurtzmann film that it's physically painful. Tom Cruise and Sofia Boutella try their best to insert life into it, but otherwise this exemplifies everything wrong with modern Homewood franchise building. I don't have the energy right now to say any more.

D-

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:14 am
I heet the canadian!

Now that I've had a drink...

-The relationship between Cruise and Wallis is as unconvincing as any central pairing I have seen in years. It's astounding how underdeveloped it is when the the entire emotional arc of the finale relies on it. "I wish we had more time" being uttered here made me retroactively like Wonder Woman more.
-I was more than a little unsettled by the film having an air strike called on Iraqi insurgents within the first 10 minutes.
-I still love how physically committed to his roles Tom Cruise is, but this one was so clearly written for someone 20 years younger it was kind of embarrassing. One of the main exchanges is about how he finishes in 15 seconds; possibly funny when directed at a 30 year old actor, completely bizarre for one in their 50s.
-There's a complete unwillingness to ever fully succumb to fun, even when the zombified minions disintegrate with comical ease. I would expect this is due to Universal deciding to call this the "Dark Universe", a tremendous shame considering all of that universe building is just horrendous.

I've seen worse films this year, but this one sort of defeated me. I saw it mentioned elsewhere that this takes all the problems of BvS and condenses in into less than 2 hours, and that's about right. Studios have got to learn that making a cohesive, good film cannot take a back seat.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:32 am
Extraordinary

This has gotta be one of my forgettable movies I've ever seen. There are no memorable sequences, the characters are flat and while it moves relatively quickly, it does so in a manner where I couldn't care less about what happened.

Pretty laughable that this is gonna be the foundation of a cinematic universe.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:41 am
Superfreak

Any black Lagoon reference? That would easily best biggest remake of the ones mentioned

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:38 pm
Hold the door!

Every other film in this Dark Universe sounds way more interesting than The Mummy.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:40 pm
I heet the canadian!

Excel wrote:
Any black Lagoon reference? That would easily best biggest remake of the ones mentioned
There's a shot of the Creature's webbed hand in a formaldehyde jar.

There's also a shot of the golden book from The Mummy '99.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:47 pm
Pure Phase

I rather enjoyed the first and second acts, from the introduction of Tom Cruise as a wily, treasure-hunting soldier in Iraq through to the car chase from the churchyard to the forest. It is a satisfying enough blend of adventure, comedy, and tame-but-admirable gestures toward the macabre. Cruise, as always, is agile and charismatic, and, similar to Edge of Tomorrow, the film treats him as a durable punching bag with frequently amusing results. I hate to say it as a fan of his in general, but Russell Crowe's entrance into the plot proper signals a drastic reduction in quality. He is game enough playing the solemnly professorial Jekyll and a Guy Ritchie-style Hyde, but this shoehorned-in element just feels...odd, stilted, as do most of the attempts at establishing his creature-feature Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. And the final stretch is borderline awful, defined by uninteresting plot devices, a thinly developed love story, one of the lowest-stakes scenes of citywide destruction in recent action-movie memory, and a not-so-tantalizing promise of sequels to come.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:30 am
Pure Phase

It will be interesting to see if this "Dark Universe" endeavor truly pans out. I know Universal gathered Crowe, Cruise, Johnny Depp, and Javier Bardem for a group photo, and they already have their special extended-universe logo, but it is hard to imagine this movie being the foundation of a sprawling, mega-budget media franchise. Does Cruise seriously want to reprise the who-cares role of Nick/Set?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:36 am
now we know

It's a pretty good film, but far from great. The start to the Dark Universe could have been better, but this was a decent effort. Cruise does most of the heavy lifting. He is "Tom Cruise Action Man" here again, but he's a thief, so he has an edge to his motives and quips. I liked him in this. The jokes are subtle but work - I had a good time with them. The aeroplane scene, and the scenes in Iraq, and the walk-through of the history behind The Mummy is all great. The first half of the film is good up until around the ambulance section, then it begins to lose points (though it is still more or less fine until the final part). The action direction is pretty bad. Hits and blows are strangely edited and hidden both in the ambulance getaway and the British catacombs. The "final fight" is oddly timed, the story becomes vacant, and it is a little dark in presentation. But overall the story is fine - simple, no need to be convoluted for this type of film. I loved how they included Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Russell Crowe) and a few glimpses of other monsters (such as a Dracula skull in a vase filled with water), but I wished he actually turned into a hulking Mr. Hyde ala The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

So, all-in-all, not exactly a promising start, but it has my attention. Not as good as The Mummy (1999) or The Mummy Returns, but still a start to a universe that I am eager to see continue. I firmly believe they just need better directors. A little worrying is that Kurtzman's name is all over this potential universe.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:00 am
Profile WWW
now we know

It does not seem to have the care or attention to detail that is required. It feels slightly rushed, perhaps as if this Dark Universe was fast tracked because Universal saw other cinematic universes (such as Warner Brothers' "Monsterverse") and wanted their own.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Were you forced to watch it in 3-D? Even in the 2-D versions, a lot of the scenes are very dimly lit, which I imagine would be awful in 3-D.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:35 am
now we know

Yes, it is only in 3D here. But this time (as opposed to when I saw Dead Men Tell No Tales and King Arthur), I made sure to choose the 4K screen, which is much larger and clearer, and doesn't seem as dark with glasses on. I would have liked more of the film to have been shot in daylight, though.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I didn't mind the action too much, but there is definitely a losing battle with visual murk at times. And I feel a lot of playful creature moments (Cruise putting his hand through a mummy-zombie's head and such) are a bit stunted by this.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:54 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

David wrote:
It will be interesting to see if this "Dark Universe" endeavor truly pans out. I know Universal gathered Crowe, Cruise, Johnny Depp, and Javier Bardem for a group photo, and they already have their special extended-universe logo, but it is hard to imagine this movie being the foundation of a sprawling, mega-budget media franchise. Does Cruise seriously want to reprise the who-cares role of Nick/Set?

Fox once took this photo:

Universes can be rewritten QUICKLY.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:05 pm
Sbil

This was SO bad. Nothing made any sense, the effects are cheesy, it's mind-numbingly dull, and Tom Cruise may as well have been replaced by a mop for all the charisma he showed. Also, an unforgivable waste of Jake Johnson. I really hope they don't expand on this Dark Universe, because if this is the best they can do...stop now.

D

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:32 pm
Pure Phase

What's one part which confused you?

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:43 pm
now we know

It has 17% on Rotten Tomatoes. Just saying.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

David wrote:

To whom is this question directed? Couldn't find anyone making any reference to being confused.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:32 am
now we know

Price wrote:
David wrote:

To whom is this question directed? Couldn't find anyone making any reference to being confused.

Libs wrote:
Nothing made any sense

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

Thanks. Confirmed. I need glasses.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:56 am
Pure Phase

And I am not going to bat for this movie as a beacon of high-minded or complex storytelling. Obviously a lot of it is just fantasy-movie baloney (ONLY WHEN THE RUBY AND THE DAGGER ARE JOINED CAN SET ACHIEVE HUMAN FORM!), but saying none of it made sense feels glib to me.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:03 am
Pure Phase

It did annoy me how the film again and again refers to Set as the Egyptian god of death, which is almost certainly Anubis or Osiris. Set's real designations, such as god of chaos or god of storms, would sound just as hardcore in exposition.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next