Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 The Sweet Hereafter 

What grade would you give this film?
A 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Sweet Hereafter 
Sbil

Post The Sweet Hereafter
The Sweet Hereafter

Quote:
The Sweet Hereafter is a 1997 Canadian film written and directed by Atom Egoyan. It is an adaptation of the novel of the same name by Russell Banks.

Sat May 21, 2005 12:52 pm
Sbil

Amazing, starkly emotional film. One of the best of 1997. A

Sat May 21, 2005 12:54 pm
Extraordinary

Excellent. Egoyan is one of the best directors of the past few generations. He's a real genius and Sweet Hereafter is probably his most accessable movie. That's not a bad thing mind you, it just means it got alot more exposure, and the scenario (mass death) resonated with people more than, say, watching your wife slowly leave you for another man and not knowing it because you don't speak Armenian.

Sweet Hereafter, based off of a Green novel (which I think was based off of an even earlier one) is the intriguing story of an insurance agent sent to investigate a bus accident that left many of a small Canadian town's children dead. The agent himself is struggling with a daughter who has long since fallen from grace, and the two have a reverse-abuse and hysterical relationship. Here, depicted through phone calls he receives from her while on investigation. The town is very sparse, a bit alientated, and many details and comments are illicited from one family about the next. Egoyan takes the time to use the history of the dead children to trace their family and community relationships. The ending isn't quite as shocking to me as I would have first thought. The desire to shuffle trauma under the rug and try to move on is insightful, even if its very upsetting in this context. A sense of transience when one would expect adherence to memory and some non-existant ultimate quest for the "truth."

Here is an entire thread we have dedicated to him and his books and movies: http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopi ... ght=egoyan

A

Sat May 21, 2005 1:58 pm
Forum General

I watched it a couple years ago and thought it was brilliant. And all the Egoyan discussion has made me want to see it again (it was on IFC last night and I Tivo'd, so I'll comment after my second viewing).

Wed May 25, 2005 4:24 am
Profile WWW
Team Kris

I watched it a couple years ago and thought it was brilliant. And all the Egoyan discussion has made me want to see it again (it was on IFC last night and I Tivo'd, so I'll comment after my second viewing).

Haha what a coincidence! I'm glad I caught this on IFC last night, (God bless digital cable) and I must say I am impressed and in awe of this beautiful movie. Horribly underrepresented at the Oscars of 1997 - only got a screenplay and directing nod, it should've gotten nominations for Ian Holm, Sarah Polley, and its stark cinematography.

Searching for the truth can be so frustrating yet you don't really need it once you've learned to move on.

Wed May 25, 2005 6:04 am
Award Winning Bastard

I'm going to try to watch this tonight, but if it's sad, I'll probably stop it. I don't think I could handle a sad movie right now.

Fri May 27, 2005 11:39 pm
Hot Fuss

Fri May 27, 2005 11:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Yes zach, see it and let me know what you think...very soon!

Check out this thread too if you haven't already: http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2325

I think Egoyan is one of the most brilliant director's of the current (and ever) generation. I would also highly recommend Calendar, my second favorite of his, and along with that Felicia's Journey. I still have to see Ararat unfortunately, but its certainly on my list.

Sun May 29, 2005 2:36 am
Hot Fuss

I'll have it by this weekend, hopefully. I've also got la dolce vita comming as soon as it's available! :)

Sun May 29, 2005 11:42 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Wow. What a beautiful film. What an emotional film.

I want to rewatch it once more before I say this... but... that has to be one of the better films I have ever seen. Superb.

I agree with Christian, this film was sorely underappreciated by the Academy in 97. It's probably the best film to come out of that year. (And I think 97 was a great year).

=D> Bravo, Egoyan. Classic.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Sweet Hereafter
I just saw this for the first time today and it was AMAZING. Definitely a new favorite of mine. Sarah Polley delivers one of the best child performances ever, IMO.

A

Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:50 pm
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

A

It's as you executed as one can possibly get for a movie of its type. Straight dramas don't get much better.

It's been a few years since I saw this actually.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:13 am
Extraordinary

Not a fan of this one - - Egoyan's most overrated film, and that's saying a lot...

Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]