Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Collide 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Collide 
Pure Phase

Post Collide

Quote:
Collide is a 2016 action film directed by Eran Creevy and written by Eran Creevy and F. Scott Frazier. The film stars Nicholas Hoult, Felicity Jones, Marwan Kenzari, Ben Kingsley, and Anthony Hopkins.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:27 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Collide
This is a solid B-movie. It won't reinvent the wheel, but it's fast paced and fun and has some great action sequences. And Ben Kingsley and Anthony Hopkins both turn in deliciously campy performances. Felicity Jones is completely wasted though. B

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

A decent, modestly scaled American-Chinese-German action-crime movie. First and foremost, it delivers on its genre's core promise: involving, kinetic, well-staged sequences of chaos, pursuit, and violence, from a foot chase through a medieval town to the demolition-derby centerpiece set on the Autobahn. The action is frenetic, loud, and credulity straining without ever becoming so over-the-top (or computer-generated) as to defuse the tension. Another highlight: a pair of knighted, Academy Award-winning actors delivering absurdly over-the-top performances as dueling gangsters. Anthony Hopkins plays an outwardly tasteful, poetry-quoting magnate-sadist in a powder-blue suit, and Ben Kingsley counters as a gold-plated, half-lucid, ultra-vulgar drug lord. Neither archetype is new to either prolific actor, but they push the envelope further than usual here, and the destabilizing, scenery-devouring, almost vaudevillian result will sate aficionados of Pacino- or Cage-style emphasis. Nicholas Hoult delivers a competent, straightforward performance as the car-thief hero, his photogenic blue eyes conveying the right amount of anxiety and cunning. Felicity Jones, though, however gorgeously photographed, is extremely overqualified for her thin, mostly-absent-from-the-action love-interest role (this film sat on the shelf for a while, a victim of prior distributor Relativity's financial collapse, and was shot before the release of The Theory of Everything, let alone Rogue One).

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:55 am
Pure Phase

The love-story framing device mostly lands with a corny thud, yet I don't mind it, either. I broadly respect the film trying for a left-field, A Life Less Ordinary-style vibe. It gives it a dose of personality and charm even if the conceit is not entirely effective.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:00 am
Forum General

I'm all for mindless, dumb action films, but aside from two decent action sequences this flick was so fucking empty. Maybe you guys got more out of it than me, but even watching this at home I got bored pretty fast. It's a shame too because for some reason Anthony Hopkins and Ben Kingsley agreed to be in this, and are there to do nothing else but be over the top or camp it up. I really like both of them as actors, but I didn't give a shit about their characters. The same applies to Hoult/Jones who have zero chemistry and I never cared for their forced romance.

Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:14 am
Wallflower

I thought it was a pretty entertaining action movie. It looked great and had some fun car action.

7/10 (B-)

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:31 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

It had a couple of good car chases but overall it just wastes the talented actors in here. There is just no chemistry between Jones and Hoult but I believe that wasn't the point here anyways. As for mindless action movie it could be watched once if its on TV.

4/10

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]