Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Resident Evil: The Final Chapter 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

Quote:
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter is a 2016 science fiction action horror film written and directed by Paul W. S. Anderson. It is the sequel to Resident Evil: Retribution and the sixth and final installment in the Resident Evil film series, which is loosely based on the Capcom survival horror video game series Resident Evil. The film stars Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter, Shawn Roberts, Ruby Rose, Eoin Macken, William Levy and Iain Glen. In the film, Alice and her friends are betrayed by Albert Wesker, who gathers the entire forces of Umbrella into one final strike against the apocalypse survivors.

It was released on December 23, 2016 in Japan[4] and is scheduled to be released on January 27, 2017 in the United States in 2D, 3D and IMAX 3D.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:28 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter isn't a movie - it's a ride! With skillful hyper-editing at a staccato rhthym that hurtles viewers beyond the point of conscious analysis to a direct visual visceral impact. The story takes a serious tone and is practically humor-free, which is exactly the right choice. The creatively staged horrific death scenes are all the leavening this Resident Evil requires. There's a brief after credit bit, and even before that we know that this is only the beginning of the end for Alice and now I can't wait to buckle up for the next ride, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter 2. *B+*

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:07 pm
Forum General

Holy fucking shit at the amount of shaky cam in this movie. Usually, it doesn't bother me, but not since Taken 3 have I seen such jittery, epileptic action sequences in my life and honestly it might be even worse than those Taken sequels. Other than that there really wasn't much to this movie. Iain Glen has some great scenery chewing scenes, but that's about it. More than half of the movie is nonsensical, indistinguishable action sequences and you don't care anything for the characters even Alice, because at this point you already know she's indestructible. I'm just glad this franchise is over.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:37 pm
Cream of the Crop

Dil wrote:
Holy fucking shit at the amount of shaky cam in this movie.
I am generally not a fan of shaky cam myself, but it was taken into the realm of stylistic art in Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. I agree with this reviewer's observation:
Quote:
Hand-held camerawork and frenetic cutting have come to replace the balletic action choreography praised as “bodies in motion and / or space” by numerous online film pundits.

Yet once one is acclimated to this chaos-cinema form, the writer-director’s simultaneous economic storytelling and boyish imagination come into clear view.

I've only seen 3 of the 6 movies in the series - here is my ranking:

A ..Resident Evil: Extinction
B+ Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
D ..Resident Evil: Afterlife

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)
Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2017)

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:14 am
Pure Phase

The sixth and reportedly final Resident Evil film, sadly just subtitled "The Final Chapter" rather than another bold, tantalizing noun (Cataclysm? Revelation?), opens with erstwhile, oft-cloned heroine Alice rousing in a ruined Washington, D.C. Played with ease yet again by an agile, stoic Milla Jovovich, Alice encounters the nefarious Umbrella Corporation's central computer program, the Red Queen. The avatar has turned against the company and informs Alice of an airborne antivirus capable of saving humanity, precipitating a zombie- and henchmen-beset homeward journey toward an underground laboratory in Raccoon City. I watched every Resident Evil film upon their initial theatrical release—the first and third are the best—but I still have no clue how well the details and events of this film align with those in its five forebears; I suspect no other franchise, Terminator perhaps excepted, is more torturous for those highly invested in canon and continuity. But as a superficial, lightning-fast-paced exercise in car crashes, gunfire, lasers, creature viscera, and general mayhem and motion, this is a satisfying and almost absurdly kinetic ride. Paul W. S. Anderson is an unfairly maligned genre craftsman with a sharp visual eye and a playful, teenager-esque sense of on-the-fly, and-then-there-was-a-dragon! invention, and his brand of primitive exuberance comfortably brings this video-game-derived franchise to home plate.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:11 am
Pure Phase

I wonder if there is enough time between its release and this film going into production for Mad Max: Fury Road to have inspired Anderson. Clone Iain Glen reminds me of Immortan Joe with his wasteland vehicular armada and vague, post-apocalyptic religiosity.

I swear I remember the sunglasses-wearing antagonist being more powerful (an Umbrella executive?), whereas here he just registers as the chief henchman.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:14 am
now we know

What I like most about this franchise is how serious it takes itself. The sixth entry in the series isn't concerned with continuity or looking pretty. It is a choppily-cut post-apocalyptic actioner, and it excels within its own rules. The film is edited to the max, which makes the action difficult to decipher. Shaky cam is not at all the issue. But anyway, it's all still fairly enjoyable on a throwaway entertainment level. Jovovich is a great action heroine, and this series will be far from over despite its "Final Chapter" title. The film starts with an attempt at a recap before giving up and just saying "I am Alice, and this is the end of my story", which is basically code for "Just sit back and watch me kill more things and look cool, don't worry yourself with plot or what's gone before".

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Huh, I didn't write about this when I saw it. I actually thought The Final Chapter was pretty fun. Everyone seems to be having a blast making it and that comes across.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:09 pm
The Wall

** / ***** (D)

It continues the same (tired) formula of the previous movies. Even if it nicely sums up the whole story so far it just doesn't really give a good enough reason for itself to exist besides earning some $$$$$ for everyone involved.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its the same old movie with different action set pieces. Jovovich does great again and I wonder if this will be the last one given that this entry is so successful plus the ending still gives away room for sequels. It might be Jovovich's last I believe and they might get some other one to take the helm. It was nice to see Ali Larter back here. The movie is good for some god old action but nothing more.

5/10

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]