Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Split 

Rate This Film
A 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
B 55%  55%  [ 6 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Split 
now we know

Post Re: Split
I thought it was a genius move, to be honest. I instantly noticed the Unbreakable theme and was rewarded for it right after while still being in the dark right up until I saw Bruce. I agree with David that there's no way the girls in the diner would connect this incident with the wheelchair dude 17 years ago, but I can overlook that because I loved the idea of linking these films.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:26 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
Split

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! Unbreakable 2! This is such a sensational and progressively intense watch, and that ending, my jaw hit the floor. So glad I wasn't spoiled on it. As soon as I heard the music from Unbreakable I thought "hmmm, M. Night's re-using some music there". Did not even twig that the film was in the same universe. Then the diner scene! Awesome, awesome stuff, and what a fucking performance by McAvoy. Anya Taylor-Joy was also fantastic, and fucking smoking. Shyamalan is back. Finally.

A
Yay someone else loved it! :thumbsup: I'm glad you were able to stay unspoiled.

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:40 am
now we know

I was most surprised by the muted reception for it here on KJ. I assumed before watching it that it was loved. I'd seen it in a few A spots in people's yearly lists, the reviews are great, it seems to have positive vibes when people mentioned its box office performance...then I saw a bunch of Cs and Bs and negative comments.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:40 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Good film, eerie. Shyamalan puts a good layer on the telling of this story too. I just couldn't care too much for it. McAvoy is incredibly good and Anna Taylor-Joy puts in a good turn as the stoic teenager. The Unbreakable tie-in is pleasing in the way that it makes me want more of it but the film feels lengthy. Maybe unfortunately knowing the twist, I found the build-up with the mystery of multiple identities not so interesting. At times it feeds of some similar good vibes like 10 Cloverfield Lane, but as a whole it lacked the same suspense.

B

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:02 am
now we know

I don't know. Getting better but that still doesn't sound like a B. I think you could focus more on why you gave it a B and less on why you haven't given it top marks. But don't get me wrong, it's not as lopsided a review as Sparrow gives (posts 3/10 then sees it twice more in the cinema, lol).

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:17 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

In short the B is for good acting and a nice directorial style. Can't say there was anything else that stood out for me, but those points are enough for it to be a B. Also there's nothing bad about it, some things I didn't like so much, or hindered it from being better is what held it back from getting a higher grade. I might even give it a B+ just for the incorporating a multi-identity character superbly played by McAvoy, but the not caring enough for the characters, except for ATJ's one perhaps, made it hard to like it more. It's way better than an average (C) film.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 am
now we know

Yeah, I'm just butthurt you didn't like more. :funny:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:42 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

If it helps, different films, but equally as good an experience as Fast 8 :D

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:55 am
now we know

I will beat you like a Cherokee drum. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:16 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

A movie's rating had nothing to do with watching multiple times in theaters there could be other reasons but you'll always have a way to bring me in your​ gay conversations with your partner

Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:41 pm
now we know

Nothing to do with it? Really? You really are hilarious. Usually, people (and by that I mean people that are not retards) do not go to see a movie three times that they gave a 3/10 on first viewing. What's the definition for insanity again? Oh yeah, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. So you're either insane or retarded. Which is it?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:06 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its my choice and I don't have to defend it to the likes of you specially when I gave the reasoning before. I didn't say I was expecting different results, when did I say that? Stop your bullshit assumptions, the world doesn't revolve around you or according to your thoughts, others can do different things than your liking. I sound hilarious, read half your posts again I am sure you will find the irony in that point. Also don't tell me you haven't watched a single movie twice in your life that you didn't like, everyone does that once in a while. Stop with the "insane" and "retards" bullshit multiple times in the same sentence, you sound like a broken record, also clearly going insane (unable to get my point) making a fool of yourself. I believe you are so stupid that you can't digest the fact that I watch more movies than you.

And I know you will come back with some more shit after this but that's all I am going to say here.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:27 pm
now we know

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Its my choice and I don't have to defend it

Yet you keep doing so.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:29 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Overrated. I enjoyed the Visit more than this. It's got good parts, but it's just too damn slow for the most part. And the two girls that got killed were way hotter than Anya Taylor-Joy. But I'm interested to see the tie in to Unbreakable in the sequel.

B-

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:52 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

zwack maybe you just shouldn't watch adult oriented thrillers if they are too slow for you.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:22 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I rewatched this and Unbreakable in preparation for Glass and enjoyed this more than I remembered. It's incredibly goofy but entertaining.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:51 am
Profile YIM
Defeats all expectations

I saw this in 2017. I remember I liked the meticulous structure of the story. The step-by-step revelation from each therapist session had me appreciate the writer-director's effort.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:23 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

zwackerm wrote:
Overrated. I enjoyed the Visit more than this. It's got good parts, but it's just too damn slow for the most part. And the two girls that got killed were way hotter than Anya Taylor-Joy. But I'm interested to see the tie in to Unbreakable in the sequel.

B-

Why....did this negatively affect your grade?

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:14 pm
Forum General

I do still enjoy this film, but I knew there was a reason I haven't seen since it first came out. I'ts way too long and a lot of the stuff with Betty Buckley's could have been completely cut out IMO. That being said it has some great moments though. After re watching it I do love the whole train sequence bit with The Beast being born with the music swelling in the background and then seeing McAvoy move like an animal down the streets and alleys. I didn't notice it before, but a lot of that stuff was actually really well directed by Shymalan as was most of the sequences in that third act.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:29 am
On autopilot for the summer

It's a Shymalan film.

Maybe he is one of the last current Auteurs out there for better or worse. It sits nicely with his work that I'm sure will be taught at some point. He definitely won't be remembered for this one., but it's a solid top 25 film of any given year. I think there would be a good argument that James will be more remembered for this then Professor X or Wanted and Last King of Scotland.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2