Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Moana 

Rate This Film
A 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18

Moana 
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Moana
Edit: I'm dumb. I said it was a masterpiece compared to this. That's hyperbole. The ending of Frozen sets the two slightly apart for me, but the difference is small.

It really boils down to this.

Moana = Two good songs (three if you include The Rock's, but I couldn't hum it to save my life right now)
Frozen = One good song and one great song.

Pretty much a wash, though Frozen has a slight edge because of the ending.

Both are going to be massively overrated.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I didn't see the twist with the lava monster being the island. I thought that was a good enough twist for the end of the movie. But whatever.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:49 pm

I'm not really debating which ending is better, just that Frozen's made that mostly bland story somewhat worthwhile.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Prepare for a lot more bland stories from Disney then.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:59 pm

Well again, it's what they do with it (how they dress it up). Pete's Dragon is really only a story about a boy and his dog (insert dragon). It's a movie we've seen before, yet I fucking loved that movie. It's still far and away my favorite film this year.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
This movie is not good enough (or bad enough) to warrant any kind of above average reaction. Settle down y'all.

This

Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Beautifully rendered animation and an undeniable spirit in the tradition of the best Disney films, although the story is a bit more derivative than I had hoped. B+

Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:39 am
Forum General

Magnus wrote:
This movie is not good enough (or bad enough) to warrant any kind of above average reaction. Settle down y'all.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. I saw it yesterday afternoon in 3D (which added nothing and was barely used) and I found it incredibly average. The animation was beautiful, the songs were mostly mediocre or even bad (how "Shiny" is even in the final product in mind boggling to me) and the middle section dragged a lot. It was cute and all but definitely not up to par with Disney's past efforts as of late.

B-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:57 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hold the door!

Disappointed in the reaction here. With a Metascore and RT average rating higher than Zootopia and Frozen I thought it would get at least an above average reception here, rather than cute to meh. I fail to see how it's not at least on par with Tangled and Frozen. It's songs are way better than Tangled songs.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:01 am
Forum General

It's because it's just pretty mediocre.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hold the door!

movies35 wrote:
It's because it's just pretty mediocre.

I know that's the consensus here. I'm just wondering how it got such good reviews if it's so mediocre.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:31 am
Hold the door!

These three things are derivative.

1. A father who is reigning his daughter in (Pocahontas)
2. A relative dies and the hero sees them in a vision (The Lion King)
3. It involves a Point A to Point B journey (countless movies)

Literally everything else in the movie is at least fresh if not completely original.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:36 am
Forum General

On Meta Critic there are plenty of reviews that are graded between 67 and 80, which is where most people's grades are. There are only a few crazies like you. :P

Honestly, the way you are talking in this thread, I would think Disney is paying you some big bucks to praise it so. :P

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I enjoyed it more than Frozen or Tangled. I liked both of those films (B+), but Moana tops them for me. Clements and Musker have a signature touch that I'll always appreciate, whether its my all-time favorite film (The Little Mermaid) or the hugely underrated Treasure Planet, their films are among Disney's best.

1. Moana (A-)
2. Zootopia (A-)
3. Big Hero 6 (B+)
4. The Princess and the Frog (B+)
5. Tangled (B+)
6. Frozen (B+)
7. Wreck-It Ralph (B+)

Honestly, everything below Zootopia is mostly interchangeable. It's hard to rank them.

And Shiny isn't bad. It's an upbeat, silly, flamboyant song with a menacing undertone. Jemaine Clement also does excellent voice work. And choosing a coconut crab, named Tamatoa (either an anagram or play on its spiritual name in the Pacific), for the character is quite clever. Also, the end credits scene, did anyone here stay for it?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Corpse wrote:
I enjoyed it more than Frozen or Tangled. I liked both of those films (B+), but Moana tops them for me. Clements and Musker have a signature touch that I'll always appreciate, whether its my all-time favorite film (The Little Mermaid) or the hugely underrated Treasure Planet, their films are among Disney's best.

1. Moana (A-)
2. Zootopia (A-)
3. Big Hero 6 (B+)
4. The Princess and the Frog (B+)
5. Tangled (B+)
6. Frozen (B+)
7. Wreck-It Ralph (B+)

Honestly, everything below Zootopia is mostly interchangeable. It's hard to rank them.

And Shiny isn't bad. It's an upbeat, silly, flamboyant song with a menacing undertone. Jemaine Clement also does excellent voice work. And choosing a coconut crab, named Tamatoa (either an anagram or play on its spiritual name in the Pacific), for the character is quite clever. Also, the end credits scene, did anyone here stay for it?

Loved the end scene. It's amazing how much people seem to hate Shiny. It wasn't my favorite song, but it was fine, and it was still a really exciting scene.

Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I'll re-watch it but this was definitely well below Frozen and Tangled for me. I loved the island scenes but once the voyage starts it becomes formulatic and stays there without a chance to mature the characters. There is also the fact that the lead friendship is left somewhere hanging in the middle (twice). The animation is gorgeous and voice cast is great here, specially Rock and Auli'i but its far from Disney's best. The songs were decent but nothing memorable aside from final song before the big battle, I found the instrumental work much better here.

7/10

Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:21 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I think Moana herself is one of the most fleshed out, and best animated characters... ever. Probably since Mr. Incredible at least.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:03 am
Hold the door!

I think the film truly shines once Moana sets out on her journey. The island stuff that Jack Sparrow cites is where it feels like Pocahontas.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:08 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Not really, though. There was hardly any village scenes in Pocahontas that didn't have to due with the conflict of John Smith and gang.

The Moana scenes on the island are all about her taking up the "chief" role and how they live.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH it's because they're both women of a darker skin tone! THAT'S why the comparison is being made!

Fucking pricks.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:47 am
Hold the door!

Chippy wrote:
Not really, though. There was hardly any village scenes in Pocahontas that didn't have to due with the conflict of John Smith and gang.

The Moana scenes on the island are all about her taking up the "chief" role and how they live.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH it's because they're both women of a darker skin tone! THAT'S why the comparison is being made!

Fucking pricks.

I don't think it's exactly like Pocahontas. Just a little bit. The stuff on the water is just where it almost entirely becomes its own thing with the exception of the dead relative coming back as a ghost to motivate our protagonist cliche.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:03 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

But it's the setup. The journeys are essentially the same in all animation movies. This one does exactly the same goes from point A to point B. I don't understand how it becomes it's own thing in the sea. This is not life of pi, she learns sailing but in a quick succession, as I mentioned earlier the friendship is not explored enough to give any satisfying ending. It's just gorgeous animation executed nicely.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:14 pm
Hold the door!

I thought the journey was plenty flavorful with the Kakamora, realm of monsters, Te Ka, etc. I also thought the Moana Maui relationship was very well done, refreshing that there was no romance. But that's just me I guess.

Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:45 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I'm also glad that it didn't turn into a romance but the friendship in itself is not explored enough. Maui doesn't really grow in the movie. Neither are his fears addressed enough to gain confidence again only to be broken...twice. Just these emotional touches in the movie are lacking.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:22 am

I dug it, one of the better Disney films of late

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:27 pm

1. Moana
2. Zootopia
3. Tangled
4. Frozen
5. Princess and the Frog
6. Wreck it Ralph
7. Big Hero 6