Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Elle 

Rate This Film
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Elle 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Elle

Quote:
Elle (French for "she" or "her") is a 2016 French-German-Belgian psychological thriller directed by Paul Verhoeven and written by David Birke, based on the novel Oh... by Philippe Djian. Djian's novel was released in 2012 and received the Prix Interallié (National Literary Award).

The film stars Isabelle Huppert and tells the story of a businesswoman, Michèle LeBlanc, who is raped in her home by an unknown assailant and stalks him back.

It is Verhoeven's first feature film in ten years after his 2006 film Black Book, and his first in French language. The film premiered in competition for the Palme d'Or at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival where it received critical acclaim.[3][4] Elle was subsequently selected as the French entry for the Best Foreign Language film at the 89th Academy Awards.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:48 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Elle
Every new Paul Verhoeven movie is a special occasion! (Though I must admit, I didn't get to see his previous film 'Tricked', which didn't play in my market.) The director of such Dutch classics as 'The Fourth Man' and 'Black Book', not to mention a couple of American movies, Verhoeven knows his way around a movie camera and a story structure. His latest is the French movie 'Elle'.

Elle is a comedy of manners. Or perhaps more accurately, Elle is a violent sexual assault mystery psychodrama of manners, with a couple of good laughs. Isabelle Huppert is the tour de force that Elle orbits around, without her gravity all the other characters will spin off into the void. It's a carnival dark ride into the horror that lies beneath the ever so thin veneer of civil society. And Elle knows when to get off. *A+*

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:20 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

That typical overrated French movie that always ends up getting random awards buzz for some reason, except decidedly more trashy, this is literally only worth seeing for a good (if not year-best) performance from Isabelle Huppert. The rest is predictable and dull which is surprising considering how ridiculous some of the plot twists are. I hated every single character and didn't care about anything that was going on at the end. Didn't like this one at all. C

Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:02 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

It's okay to admit sometimes that you did not understand a film or its intentions.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I got it, it was just dumb.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:25 am
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

It was a lot of things and it certainly is divise. But dumb ain't one of them. It is satire. Great satire on gender politics.

Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

An interesting watch for sure. Not sure I get the Huppert awards buzz but she was good.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:21 am
The Wall

**** / ***** (B)

This is not Paul Verhoeven movie. This is Isabelle Huppert's solo show. She ran away with the whole movie. She's mesmerizing to watch. You can't keep your eyes off her and her intricate character. Lots of thing happen in this one, but none is more important than each and every move on Huppert's face and her "Ah's/Oh's".

The movie is a smart (very) dark comedy about life.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

A tight psychological drama. Meaningful character development is what makes this film interesting. During the film, our protagonist Michele(Isabelle Huppert) is sexually assaulted in her house by a masked intruder, multiple times. We learn as the film progresses that a traumatic childhood experience involving her father contributes to her stoic response to the assaults and her distrust of the police and the media (or people in general). The nature of the "assaults" (used loosely here) changes as Michele finds out who did them and she and the assaulter interact and develop a tacit relationship. The complexity of the character alone makes Huppert's performance awards-worthy. The film is pretty good at tying up loose ends without being too obvious.

I need a second viewing to get more understanding of the film.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Isabelle Huppert is magnetic in here but I didn't like the final twist movie tries to bring. I would have loved that it wasn't trying to be smart enough. The first half was very interesting but I found the middle act boring, once the reveal happens it becomes interesting and there are some really tense scenes. I just didn't love the ending as much as others.

C+

Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]