Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Certain Women 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Certain Women 
Pure Phase

Post Certain Women

Quote:
Certain Women is an American drama film written and directed by Kelly Reichardt. The movie is based on short stories from Maile Meloy's collection, Both Ways Is the Only Way I Want It.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:04 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Certain Women
Set amid the long highways and snow-swept prairies of Montana, Certain Women presents a trio of very loosely connected vignettes, each focused on a female protagonist. Laura (Laura Dern) is a lawyer who at once empathizes with and fears an unstable client (Jared Harris) treated poorly by a former employer after a construction-site injury. As she and her family build a new house, Gina (Michelle Williams) is envious of and frustrated by her husband's (James LeGros) relaxed, lightly conspiratorial relationship with their teenage daughter. And Jamie (Lily Gladstone) is an itinerant Native American ranch hand whose melancholy existence is briefly energized by a friendship with an exhausted law-school graduate (Kristen Stewart). The film is directed by Kelly Reichardt in her usual rustic-stately-steady-slow way. How a viewer responded to her past films, including Old Joy, Meek's Cutoff, and the slightly more accessible Night Moves, will safely predict his or her reaction to the latest. The first two chapters, focused on the Dern and Williams characters respectively, are perhaps a shade too academic and deliberate (particularly Williams' segment), though the meticulous acting and wintry tonal precision cannot be denied. The third and final one, however, is a miniature masterpiece, a sweet and then devastating tale of social isolation and hesitant bonding anchored by striking newcomer Lily Gladstone. Her expressive, doe-eyed countenance conveys an ocean of hope, regret, and yearning despite relatively minimal dialogue.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:31 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Eh. The only thing to write home about is Lily Gladstone who admittedly gives a very stirring performance in the final third. The last scene of her in the car is fantastic. The rest didn't really impress me even though I like a good number of the cast members. Laura Dern is good and Michelle Williams is fine but their stories didn't go anywhere, especially Michelle Williams - her entire arc felt pointless to me. It's also incredibly slow paced, which is a know is a Kelly Reichardt characteristic but it bothered me. It's well-shot though. C/C+

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:14 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

I agree about Williams. The entire middle section was supremely boring and pointless to me.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The Michelle Williams chapter is definitely the least satisfying, though I did modestly dig the idea of the old man's Pile of Stones I Will Use...One Day becoming her Pile of Stones I Will Use...One Day.

Gladstone's performance is just flooring and devastating.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:04 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Gladstone's the only reason to watch this in my opinion. But she is stupendous.

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:15 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is not the usual slice-of-life movie but it somehow works thanks to Kelly Reichardt's direction and brilliant acting from the three leads specially Lily Gladstone. The third act is just brilliant and heartbreaking and most accessible of the three acts. The second act with Williams seemed very pedestrian and at times boring and pointless. Laura Dern's act was good and gets a "closure" in the end, her character is sympathetic which is what made it worthwhile. Stewart in a small role is decent here as well but Gladstone steals every scene she is in here.

B+

Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]