Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Keeping Up with the Joneses 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Keeping Up with the Joneses 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Keeping Up with the Joneses

Quote:
Keeping Up with the Joneses is a 2016 American action comedy film directed by Greg Mottola and written by Michael LeSieur. Starring Zach Galifianakis, Jon Hamm, Isla Fisher and Gal Gadot, the film follows a suburban couple (Galifianakis and Fisher) who begin to suspect their new neighbors (Hamm and Gadot) are spies. It is scheduled to be released on October 21, 2016 by 20th Century Fox.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:42 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Keeping Up with the Joneses
I like some of the elements of Keeping Up with the Joneses. Isla Fisher. A couple of zany setpieces. But overall the writing and direction had no zest. Zach Galifianakis is a hair off his game here - nowhere near his recent superb performance in Masterminds. Gal Gadot? Well let's just hope her acting improves. But still the movie made me laugh now and again. *C*

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:16 pm
Pure Phase

Keeping Up With the Joneses plays as an expensive, feature-length pilot for a sitcom destined to be canceled after a few further episodes. The concept is fine for a broad comedy in the spiritual vein of Arthur Hiller's well-regarded The In-Laws—the pleasant, slightly dull existence of an American couple (Isla Fisher, Zach Galifianakis) is upended when they learn their photogenic and well-traveled new neighbors (Gal Gadot, Jon Hamm) are spies—but the film simply does not deliver much in the way of style, wit, or even basic amusement. It is a bore, full of labored, overly telegraphed gags and a few inertly shot and cut action sequences. And the ensemble cast is less than the sum of its parts: Hamm is fine in a role only requiring he be suave, but Gadot's uncertain English and aura of rigidity frequently disrupts the comic timing, and Galifianakis just seems fatigued and oddly hesitant to indulge in too much buffoonery. Only Fisher is on point as a suburban wife and mother with a secret reserve of courage and suspicion, and she easily steals almost every scene. This is a disheartening turn for director Greg Mottola, who previously made Superbad and Adventureland, comedies with far more personality.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:45 am
New Server, Same X

This felt like something I would have loved as a kid, even though I wouldn't have understood some of the jokes, and would have ended up loving it forever in a nostalgic way, despite its flaws. But as it is, it's an able action comedy with nothing new to add. I do agree with the sentiment that Isla Fisher steals it. She deserves a better breakout role to crack her out of the "Oh yes, her" sentiment I have when I see her. After I'm done mixing her past roles with past roles played by Amy Adams.

Grade: C+

Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:23 pm
Keeping it Light

Keeping Up with the Joneses is mostly a pretty silly film, standard comedy fare if you will. Some of the jokes are lame and unnecessary too really (the Isla Fisher getting sedated could be totally left out for me). But it's cast is overall pleasing, with Galifianakis the the weak link among the 4 leads. Isla Fisher was definitely good, Hamm was kind of just playing himself but I like that and Gadot showed up as the babe that she is with the right humor too. What finally makes the film passable are the flurry of well written jokes that do come by. There's some misses and the action-sequence parts feel mostly boring but there's laughs throughout and ultimately that doesn't make it a bad comedy but it's not a good film either.

C+

Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:22 pm
now we know

Much like Masterminds, this is also a very fun film. Galifianakis is his usual dim-witted self, which is great and just how he should be. Hamm is ok apart from the Mandarin part. Gadot is meh. But Isla Fisher steals the limelight as the sexy female and the funny one too.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Not bad. Fisher and Gadot steal the show. It's far from fresh or original, but it has a few laughs, though it does feel a bit long.

B-

Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:59 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

It wastes the talented cast for cheap laugh and a familiar story that has been done MUCH better before. It does have a few laughs and both Fisher and Gadot look great in it.

4/10

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:10 am
Forum General

This movie is actually alright compared to the shitfest that was Masterminds. I thought Gadot really shined here with her comedic timing and now I wonder if comedies might be more of a better fit for her than big blockbusters or superhero movies. Hamm was just there, but he was still fine in his role and Zach Galifianakis was Zach Galifianakis. Isla Fisher stole the show though and my god does she still have an amazing body even at 41 with three kids.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]