Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 American Hero 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

American Hero 
Pure Phase

Post American Hero

Quote:
American Hero is a 2015 American-British superhero comedy-drama film written and directed by Nick Love.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:37 pm
now we know

So now we know what it's like when a science-fiction film doesn't have a plot to save the planet, where the hero is not in a position to save humanity and so on. The film tries to, in fact, show that an American hero is not someone that saves the day from villainy. It's more focused on showing that an American hero is someone that quits drugs, stops smoking, becomes sober, gets his act together, helps the community, provides for his son etc. So, yeah, I get that, and it's cool that the film attempts this, but I feel it is the wrong approach (especially when the trailer indicated more of a spectacle). About the most heroic thing he does is disrupt a local street gang that sells dope to kids. This is film, the medium that can do just about anything, and you are using cool effects, but you're applying them to such a low-key story. It is frustrating. I'd have been cool with all of it as long as there was a final pay-off with Melvin having a) more of a motive to deal with the thugs, and b) more of a threat to deal with.

As it is, it is a decent film, but I wish Love would have had a more ambitious vision. And the effects are rather shoddy at times - which I wouldn't have brought up if the film went the way I would have liked. But a lot of it seems aimless, with Melvin just getting pissed or high. And the documentary construct that the film begins with is not maintained, often turning it on as and when it helps the plot. It is a shame because this could have been a very good film.

B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]