Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Abandon 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

Abandon 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Abandon
Abandon

Quote:
Abandon is a 2002 American thriller film released by Paramount Pictures and Touchstone Pictures. It was written and directed by Stephen Gaghan, starring Katie Holmes as a college student whose boyfriend (Charlie Hunnam) disappeared two years previously. Despite being set at an American university, much of the movie was filmed in Canada at McGill University's McConnell Hall.

It is based on the book Adams Fall by Sean Desmond. The book was re-titled Abandon for the movie tie-in paperback printing.

The film co-stars Zooey Deschanel and Gabrielle Union, with Benjamin Bratt playing the detective investigating the boyfriend's disappearance. It received generally negative reviews, with Variety magazine dismissing it as "a tricked-up Fatal Attraction wannabe".

Sun May 05, 2013 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: Abandon
One of the worst movies I've ever seen theatrically.

Mon May 06, 2013 12:29 pm
Wallflower

Libs wrote:
One of the worst movies I've ever seen theatrically.

You're crazy. :P

It's really underrated. I wish I would have seen it theatrically ;). I haven't seen it in ages but do want to revisit it again sometime soon. It was really well-made and hypnotic. I loved the atmosphere and style. The majority of critics didn't like it but there were a few that did. I agree with those few.

[Gaghan] successfully illustrates that if a filmmaker is capable and intelligent -- and assumes that his audience is the same -- he can transcend the limitations of even so lowly a genre.
- Joe Baltake, Sacramento Bee

In the end, the film is less the cheap thriller you'd expect than it is a fairly revealing study of its two main characters - damaged-goods people whose orbits will inevitably and dangerously collide.
- Nick Rogers, State Journal-Register (Springfield, IL)

For what I suppose must be classified as a 'teen thriller,' this film has a surprising amount of substance.
- John R. McEwen, Film Quips Online

Easily the most manipulative thriller since Brian De Palma retired to a career of spectacular irrelevance. That's why it's so effective - and fiendishly satisfying.
- Jonathan R. Perry, Tyler Morning Telegraph (Texas)

Once I realized that Abandon was going down a different path, I really started to admire it.
- Mike McGranaghan, Aisle Seat

A psychological thriller that doesn't thrill much and whose ending we can guess halfway through; but if you're a lover of smart dialogue and intelligent characters, you won't be disappointed.
- Erik Lundegaard, Seattle Times

What begins as yet another school-set thriller gradually evolves into something more psychologically layered.
- Josh Larsen, Sun Publications (Chicago, IL)

Richard Roeper also liked it, and Ebert gave it a decent 2.5/4 and thought Holmes was great in it.

I gave it a strong B but could see it going up slightly if I watch it again.

Mon May 06, 2013 1:01 pm
Wallflower

I really need to re-visit this. Wish it would get a Blu-ray release.

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]