Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Disappointments Room 

Rate This Film
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4

The Disappointments Room 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post The Disappointments Room

Quote:
The Disappointments Room is an upcoming American horror film. D. J. Caruso directed a script written by Wentworth Miller. Kate Beckinsale and Lucas Till are the leading stars of the film. The film is scheduled to be released on September 9, 2016, by Rogue Pictures.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:58 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Disappointments Room
The Disappointments Room opens with astonishing novelty, with a troubled family hoping for a fresh start in a large, isolated, decidedly Gothic home with a sinister history. Before even a colorful local can declare, "No one has lived there in ages!," light bulbs explode, a mysterious canine is glimpsed surveying the property, and the mother, played by Kate Beckinsale, discovers an enigmatic room not on any blueprint. The setup indicates a supernatural cacophony in the vein of Insidious, but the film, directed by D.J. Caruso (Eagle Eye), is more a melodramatic mystery with a side of conventional jolts and a modest dash of graphic violence. It is a very uneven, at times incoherent experience—a key character's fate is left unconfirmed in a way indicating editorial oversight rather than teasing ambiguity—and never particularly scary, but I am also intrigued by it. It has an out-of-time and almost lurid fascination with what one might term female hysteria. This is represented by a conspicuous clip from the Orson Welles version of Jane Eyre and in nearly every moment of Beckinsale's testily over-the-top performance, culminating in her savage, alcohol-fueled disintegration at a polite dinner party (a future YouTube gem, I am convinced). And the central haunted house is a handsome-if-clichéd feat of art direction with its dense exterior covering of ivy and vertiginous circular staircase. One of the film's downfalls: it never devises a suitable punishment for the heroine's husband, a dull, murmuring hipster-weasel of a man played in a dreadful performance by Mel Raido, a Jamaica-born Englishman sporting a grating approximation of a Brooklyn accent here. He is every disbelieving "it-is-just-the-wind-so-go-to-bed" genre-movie spouse dialed to eleven, almost registering as the piece's true antagonist with his ineptitude and patronizing tone.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:38 pm
Pure Phase

Did Lucas Till's character show up to clean the grave? Did the ghost father murder him? Did Beckinsale? Did either hang him? Is he truly just in town romancing a bar wench? Does the movie itself even know?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:40 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

So lame and dull. I watched this a few days ago and have already forgotten almost everything about it. Everyone in it is terrible too, even Beckinsale. D+

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:38 am
Profile YIM
The Wall

* / ***** (F)

It's not a horror. The only death that happens makes no sense as the cat was perfectly happy and fine living in that house until they came, then suddenly the ghost dog wants to kill it? LOL. As a psychological story about parenting and the parallels it draws between the two stories it's well underdeveloped. I'd much rather these were your usual angry ghosts.

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:21 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

This had nothing in it other than the actors who seem trapped by the screenplay's atrocities. There is not even a single thing this movie offers which was horror or even entertaining.

The only plus side is that the actors try hard to make it convincing.

3/10

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:29 am
Forum General

This movie is fucking awful. Easily the second worst film to come out last year for me.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:55 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's horrible but I honestly barely remember watching it, which is the biggest compliment I can offer ;)

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:24 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

I was surprised to see Kate Beckinsale in this. For some reason I thought this was a Nicole Kidman film. Anyway, it's fairly bland and just not well written at all. Most of what makes sense is taken from years of similar movies. The rest is messy. But then, what can you expect from the director of xXx: Return of Xander Cage? He wrote this one too!

D+

Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:10 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]