Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Mechanic: Resurrection 

Rate this film:
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Pure Phase

Post Mechanic: Resurrection

Quote:
Mechanic: Resurrection is an American action thriller film directed by Dennis Gansel and written by Philip Shelby, Tony Mosher, Rachel Long and Brian Pittman. It is the sequel to the 2011 film The Mechanic, which was a remake of the 1972 film of the same name, and stars Jason Statham, Tommy Lee Jones, Jessica Alba and Michelle Yeoh.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:36 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Mechanic: Resurrection
Mechanic: Resurrection is an old school action thriller, and a pretty darn good one at that. Jason Statham is always worth watching as Earth's reigning b-movie action hero. And check out the wild card costars: Michelle Yeoh!!! Tommy Lee Jones!! Jessica Alba. The refreshingly improbable story is better than 70% of the screenplays of movies I've seen this year. The well choreographed action sequences are the work of ace film editors, not the too often substituted shakycam. M:R is a solid end-of-summer surprise! *B+"

Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:06 pm
Pure Phase

Mechanic: Resurrection is a chic and exciting sequel to one of Jason Statham's best star vehicles, itself a loose update of a Charles Bronson film from the early 1970s. The story begins with hired gun Arthur Bishop hiding in Brazil after surviving a conflict with his late protégé, played by Ben Foster in the prior film. An international arms dealer (Sam Hazeldine, suitably contemptuous) tries to force him to commit three high-profile, perilous assassinations and gains leverage by abducting Gina (Jessica Alba), a humanitarian and teacher Bishop loves. It is a utilitarian, no-B.S. genre setup to put our bullet-headed, lithe action hero into motion, and once he is, the film sings, pouncing from one well-staged set piece to another. See Bishop infiltrate a Malaysian island prison! See Bishop scale a Sydney skyscraper à la Tom Cruise in Ghost Protocol (albeit with slightly lousy green screen)! The film is just pure, absurd fun and left me hoping for a third Arthur Bishop adventure. I am counting on you, overseas box office.

Statham is in fine fighting form and as tersely charismatic as ever, and the film nicely nods toward his livelihood before acting (competitive diving) with a heavy emphasis on water-based stunts. Alba's love-interest character spends most of the film in captivity, but she acquits herself well enough and has a few moments of playful chemistry with Statham, as well as an obligatory bikini-clad swim where she is just as striking as she was in Into the Blue eleven (!) years ago. Tommy Lee Jones has a minor, campy part near the end of the film as a pajama-wearing gunrunner with a soul patch and a dry sense of humor; it is perhaps not a career highlight, and people may be let down by his minimal screen time relative to his high billing, but it is at least a zestier and more creative utilization of the icon than his blandly authoritative part in Jason Bourne.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:51 pm
Pure Phase

I dig the way both Mechanic films end with surveillance video showing Bishop secretly escaping an impossible, fiery situation. A nice touch should the series continue further.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:37 pm
Forum General

There are a few decent action sequences mostly towards the end, but this is easily my least favorite Statham movie since Parker. From a weak plot to shoddy green screen effects, and a pretty much lifeless love interest in Jessica Alba I just don't understand why they even bothered making this movie in the first place. Statham seemed to be really phoning it in here compared to the first and the villains weren't worth a shit. Not to mention Jones/Yeoh roles are barely more than glorified cameos which was the most disappointing, although I liked the Under Siege reference at the end.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:56 pm
now we know

This is a non-stop action thrill ride. Sun, sea, bikinis, muscles, sex, action, explosions, swimming, stunts, exotic locations ... it is the perfect collection of James Bond elements in a non-007 film. Statham is the unequivocal action star. Here, in the sequel to 2011's The Mechanic, the tone and style is different. It is less serious, less grounded, and more over the top, but still a whole heap of awesome. It could honestly pass for any stand-alone Statham film. The plot is insanely staged for some full throttle action sequences as they travel from one lush city to the next (beautiful cinematography of Thailand and Sydney). The assassination concepts are very enjoyable to watch. And the cast fits the style rather well too. Statham at his ass-kicking best. An ever so slightly past-her-prime Jessica Alba, but still looking hot. A way past-her-prime, Botox-ed Michelle Yeoh as a nice addition. And Tommy Lee Jones, who goes back to 1992 as if he hasn't aged a day to get his Under Siege character out of retirement. Superb, highly entertaining actioner. Look forward to a third.

A-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I saw The Mechanic earlier this year, which I thought was splendid. Mechanic: Resurrection continues very much on the same path, Statham excels again in the hitman assassin role. I don't think any other hitman film has a cooler style than the action and execution these films. In Resurrection the focus is put more on spectacle than character development. If you seen the first one I don't think it hurts it though. The action scenes and locations Statham finds himself in are awesome, making it a very well rounded and enjoyable action film. Alba is also perfect as the love interest. Simply gorgeous and she shares a good chemistry with Statham. Yeoh and Lee Jones have some pleasant small roles as well. The villain is a bit generic and the plot or script have some undeniable holes, but the film is pure entertainment and Statham's role of Bishop is must-see cinema for me each time. Resurrection doesn't hit the tone as well as the first film, it's pretty much the best sequel it can be though.

B+

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:41 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re:
I'm happy to see most people are enjoying this fine actioner!

Algren wrote:
it is the perfect collection of James Bond elements in a non-007 film.

Not only that, but the set pieces are in the style of the classic James Bond movies - just the right touch of absurdity!

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:09 am
Keeping it Light

It starts right off when Bishop jumps on the parasailer, reminding me very much of Bond's escape in Goldeneye. Truth be told, the Goldeneye stunt is the most crazy one I've seen in a serious film and I doubt it will ever be topped by anything. Cruise had some nice MI stunts too, but the Goldeneye one remains #1 for me.

Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:21 pm
You must have big rats

Post Re:
Algren wrote:

This is a non-stop action thrill ride. Sun, sea, bikinis, muscles, sex, action, explosions, swimming, stunts, exotic locations ... it is the perfect collection of James Bond elements in a non-007 film. Statham is the unequivocal action star. Here, in the sequel to 2011's The Mechanic, the tone and style is different. It is less serious, less grounded, and more over the top, but still a whole heap of awesome. It could honestly pass for any stand-alone Statham film. The plot is insanely staged for some full throttle action sequences as they travel from one lush city to the next (beautiful cinematography of Thailand and Sydney). The assassination concepts are very enjoyable to watch. And the cast fits the style rather well too. Statham at his ass-kicking best. An ever so slightly past-her-prime Jessica Alba, but still looking hot. A way past-her-prime, Botox-ed Michelle Yeoh as a nice addition. And Tommy Lee Jones, who goes back to 1992 as if he hasn't aged a day to get his Under Siege character out of retirement. Superb, highly entertaining actioner. Look forward to a third.

A-

If someone told you a year ago you'd like this far more than Jack Reacher 2...

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Algren wrote:

A-

If someone told you a year ago you'd like this far more than Jack Reacher 2...

...I wouldn't find it so hard to believe. After all, I did love The Mechanic. I gave it an A.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I just watched this again and forgot that the Chinese version is somewhat cut up. I must remember next time to download the US version. It is a fantastic action film. It has everything.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Mechanic: Resurrection wss definitely one of my better cinema viewings last year.

What are things you noticed cut from the Chinese version?

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:20 am
now we know

stuffp wrote:
Mechanic: Resurrection wss definitely one of my better cinema viewings last year.

What are things you noticed cut from the Chinese version?

When Statham breaks into Tommy Lee Jones' compound, they start talking and then it abruptly cuts to them in another area of the compound. Statham does not even finish his sentence before he has started another. I wonder what is said or shown that was deemed unsatisfactory for Chinese eyes.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]