Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Ben-Hur (2016) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Ben-Hur (2016) 
Pure Phase

Post Ben-Hur (2016)

Quote:
Ben-Hur is a 2016 American epic historical action drama film directed by Timur Bekmambetov and written by Keith Clarke and John Ridley. It is the fifth film adaptation of the 1880 novel Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lew Wallace following the 1907 silent film, the 1925 silent film, the Academy Award-winning 1959 film and the 2003 animated film of the same name. It has been termed a "re-adaptation," "reimagining," and "new interpretation" of the novel. The film stars Jack Huston, Morgan Freeman, Toby Kebbell, Nazanin Boniadi, Haluk Bilginer and Rodrigo Santoro.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:15 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Ben-Hur (2016)
Ben-Hur is a spirited remake of the 1959 remake of the 1925 remake of the 1907 film. It is a classic 'revenge' story that was made for the medium of film, even though the original novel predates cinema itself, and one that stands worthily beside other revenge/redemption tales such as The Count of Monte Cristo, The Man in the Iron Mask and Les Miserables. I will always make time to go and see each and every remake of all of these four classics. There was a small amount of shakycam, likely to make up for the small budget for battle scenes, but otherwise director Timur Bekmambetov is ideally suited for the action rich plot and Jack Huston plays a noble kick-ass Judah Ben-Hur. I wish it could have been longer, perhaps 3 hours, because the 125 minute running time seemd a bit compressed to generate the full epic feel this property deserves. The chariot race was filmed fantastically, and there's a small scene right at the beginning of the film that shocked me more than anything I've seen at the movies this year. Very nicely done. *B+*

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:13 am
Cream of the Crop

Now that I've written my review, I'm having a browse through the commercial reviews and can recommend this especially well-informed & well-written review that gives a fair assessment of this latest incarnation of Ben-Hur.

Though I'd add the context of this quote from the review on Roger Ebert's website:
Quote:
Does the movie radically re-arrange both its source material and that material’s most famous adaptation? It sure as hell does. But I doubt that many contemporary viewers consider either of those as holy writ. This is a “Ben-Hur” of and for its time, but also a little better than its time, it turns out. I’m not qualified to say whether it’s an effective delivery system for its Christian message, but I think I can credibly pronounce it a good popcorn movie.
Plus, for the unrepentant haters, I'll link to one of the negative reviews:
Quote:
Also working against the new “Ben-Hur” is the decision to give additional scenes to Jesus Christ (Rodrigo Santoro, who makes Huston’s Ben-Hur look like a wimp). Seen only from the rear in earlier iterations, this chatty Jesus ends up with a larger role than Ben-Hur’s love, Esther (Nazanin Boniadi), who doesn’t have much to do until the truly ridiculous finale.
Personally, I dug the assured eloquent Yoda portrayal of Jesus in this version.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:47 am
Pure Phase

Though its creators can claim right and left it is just another interpretation of the 19th-century Lew Wallace novel, the new film version of Ben-Hur will be compared first and foremost to the 1959 adaptation, widely regarded as a cinematic milestone on the rarefied level of Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane, and The Godfather, though I believe its grandeur is tempered by certain wooden and/or sanctimonious elements. And those comparisons will not be favorable, but I believe there is at least a minor case to be made for this lean B-movie variation on the story of a Jewish prince who becomes a galley slave and then a champion charioteer during the lifetime of Jesus Christ. It is well-performed by Jack Huston (a quieter and more subtly tortured Judah Ben-Hur than Charlton Heston could ever have played) and Toby Kebbell, portraying moral compromise and a tendency toward venality without mustache-twirling theatricality as Messala, imagined here as Judah's treacherous adopted brother rather than just a close friend. The obligatory chariot race is spectacularly visceral and features inspired use of point-of-view shots, and there is also an impressive rain-swept naval battle. There are, alas, several flaws, too: an expanded role for Jesus (Rodrigo Santoro) is oddly shoehorned in, saccharine, and clearly coming from an avaricious place (the almighty faith-based dollar!) rather than one of artistic conviction. And outside of the action sequences, director Timur Bekmambetov has an unfortunate tendency to settle for functional, slightly bland medium shots rather than aiming for beauty and splashily showcasing the production design.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:18 pm
now we know

It is a good thing that I went in with low expectations. I was expecting a complete and utter disaster with bad acting, shoddy camerawork, shoehorned in jokes, and a generally TV-level production. Three out of four ain't bad! But I was prepared so it did not bother me. Over the course of the movie, as I became invested, I even forgot about it. Basically, it's not a bad film. Jack Huston does a decent job of playing Ben-Hur, while Toby Kebbell enjoys playing his frowning brother. But we did not need yet another remake of this story, which is just too simple for modern audiences. It does nothing new or creative. It plods along nicely, but each frame needs to amaze and instead it just exists. And its digitized look makes it feel small and worthless. Simply put; if you want to see Ben-Hur but dislike older films, see Gladiator.

C

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]