Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Absolutely Anything 

Your Grade
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Absolutely Anything 
Keeping it Light

Post Absolutely Anything

Quote:
Absolutely Anything is a 2015 British science fiction comedy film directed by Terry Jones, and written by Jones and Gavin Scott. The film stars Simon Pegg, Kate Beckinsale, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Rob Riggle, Eddie Izzard and Joanna Lumley, with the voices of Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam, John Cleese, Eric Idle and Robin Williams in his final film role.[4][5] It was the first film to feature all living Monty Python members since 1983's Monty Python's The Meaning of Life.[5] Principal photography and production began on 24 March 2014, and ended on 12 May 2014. The film was released in the United Kingdom on 14 August 2015 by Lionsgate UK. The film grossed $3.8 million worldwide.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:46 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Absolutely Anything
Pretty terrible. Not a fan of Pegg in this. It's just a pretty plain film, with not much to write home about. Guess could call it a very poor man's Bruce Almighty. Beckinsale is lovely though, and Williams as the dog in one of this last parts is good too. Riggle does his shtick as the antagonist alright, but there isn't anything in the film that makes it for it's blandness or silliness throughout. Luckily it just runs a short 85min.

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:59 pm
Pure Phase

I never heard of this despite a cool cast. Odd.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:14 pm
now we know

With a less familiar and less likeable cast, Absolutey Anything would be a forgettable and silly farce that fails to take full advantage of its concept. And while it does still retain some of those qualities, with a great British cast including Simon Pegg, Kate Beckinsale, Eddie Izzard, Sanjeev Bhaskar, Meera Syal, Joanna Lumley, John Cleese, Michael Palin, Eric Idle, and Terry Gilliam (not to forget the voice of the late Robin Williams), it is a brisk, charming, mildly amusing 'What If?' comedy.

The space/alien effects are below-par, the story is purposely low-key despite its potential magnitude, and Rob Riggle lowers the level with his usual overblown, American nature and spoof-feeling presence. But written and directed by Monty Python's Terry Jones, and having been a script of his for more than 20 years, the story has an unmistakable yesteryear delightfulness. Not being a fan of Monty Python, I suspect Absolutely Anything is Jones' best film to date.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Wow, I'm surprised. I couldn't find much good about it.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:52 pm
now we know

stuffp wrote:
I couldn't find much good about it.

Sure you checked here? ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:05 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I did check it's page at some point and now upon review of your link: the fresh reviews are Singaporean (I guess Jack Sparrow will like this too then), two British (biased) and two Spanish (hmm...so they're into this kind of humour). Perhaps doesn't mean anything, but just putting that analysis out here.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:48 am
now we know

Why are the British reviews biased? I am pretty sure the two British reviewers did not invest financially in the film and therefore have nothing to gain from giving it a positive review. They just enjoyed it. Which makes sense. British people like British humour in British films. It doesn't make the reviewers biased.

But anyway, of those 6 positive reviews, surely you can find something good about the film. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, I was more rambling about good things and bias-ism than that it really has any founding.

I noticed that for some reason I left my grade out in my review.

D

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:51 am
now we know

stuffp wrote:
the fresh reviews are Singaporean (I guess Jack Sparrow will like this too then)

By the way, I believe Jack Sparrow is Indian, not Singaporean.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]