Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Interstellar 

What grade would you give this film?
A 54%  54%  [ 14 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

Interstellar 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Interstellar
Interstellar

Quote:
Interstellar is a 2014 science fiction film directed by Christopher Nolan. Starring Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, and Michael Caine, the film features a team of space travelers who travel through a wormhole in search of a new habitable planet. It was written by Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan; Christopher combined his idea with a script developed by his brother in 2007 for Paramount Pictures and producer Lynda Obst. He is producing the film with Obst and his wife, Emma Thomas. Theoretical physicist Kip Thorne, whose works inspired the film, acted as both an executive producer and a scientific consultant for the film.

Warner Bros., who produced and distributed some of Nolan's previous films, negotiated with Paramount, traditionally a rival studio, to have a financial stake in Interstellar. Legendary Pictures, which formerly partnered with Warner Bros., also sought a stake. The three companies co-financed the film, and the production companies Syncopy and Lynda Obst Productions were enlisted. The director also hired cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema since his long-time collaborator Wally Pfister was busy working on Transcendence, his directorial debut. Interstellar was filmed with a combination of anamorphic 35 mm and IMAX 70 mm film photography. Filming took place in the last quarter of 2013 in locations in the province of Alberta, Canada, in southern Iceland, and in Los Angeles, California. The visual effects company Double Negative created visual effects for Interstellar.

Interstellar premiered on October 26, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. Theatrically, it is scheduled for a limited release in North America (United States and Canada) on November 5, 2014 and a wide release on November 7, 2014. It will also be released in Belgium, France and Switzerland on November 5, 2014 and in additional territories in the following days, including the United Kingdom on November 7, 2014. For the limited release in North America, it will be released in 70 mm and 35 mm film formats in approximately 240 theaters which still project the formats, including at least 41 70 mm IMAX theaters. For the wide release, it will expand to theaters that will show it in digital format. Paramount Pictures will distribute the film in North America, and Warner Bros. will distribute it in the remaining territories.

Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Interstellar
I honestly loved it. Visually stunning and for the most part engaging throughout, surprised how much I enjoyed it as I'm not the biggest Nolan guy.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:07 am
Extraordinary

It's... god, it's certainly dense. And it's messy in places. But it's also incredibly powerful.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:39 am
Extraordinary

also wtf at
Spoiler: show
Matt Damon
being in this!? That caught me off guard, although I thought it was cool that I had no idea about that.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:02 am
I heet the canadian!

I can't believe Nolan made a 3 hour movie on the power of love. And I can't believe how much of it works.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:46 am
You must have big rats

The Nolan jizzfest has begun.

I actually agree with what Magnus said in his first post. Yes, it is powerful cinema. But it is way too flawed to be terrific, IMO.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:29 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

It's greater than the sum of its parts, eh doctair

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:40 am
The Incredible Hulk

This movie has way to many problems for me to give it more than a C+. By far nolans worst film but some of it does work. The Acting is great the the plot is a huge mess.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:52 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought it was absolutely sensational. I definitely want to see it again this weekend as it throws a lot of information at you throughout its running time that I'm not sure I entirely digested, but on an emotional level as well as a purely theatrical scope this movie is absolutely unparalleled compared to any film released thus far in 2014. I was completely invested from beginning to end and despite not being nearly as action-heavy as Nolan's previous three outings it never dragged. The last hour or so starting with the discovery of Dr. Mann is incredibly intense and the whole docking sequence was absolutely spectacular. At its heart though this movie is actually a very simple father-daughter story and often a lot of the film's quieter moments are where it holds the most power. Matthew McConaughey is AMAZING here - I actually think his work here is a bit better than his Oscar-winning turn in Dallas Buyers Club. He uses his everyman likability to great effect and a good number of his scenes are heartbreaking. Jessica Chastain is also sensational and despite not showing up until well over an hour into the film's running time steals every one of her scenes. Her video message scenes are incredibly powerful and two of the film's strongest moments. I think both of them easily deserve Oscar consideration. Anne Hathaway doesn't get as much dramatic material to work with as these two but still more than holds her own (and is easily the female lead appearing in probably 80% of the film) and proves to be a great foil for McConaughey - I really liked the early banter between the two as well as them becoming closer and closer as the mission continued. Of the supporting cast I thought Mackenzie Foy was lovely and shared a believable father-daughter chemistry with McConaughey, John Lithgow and Michael Caine do well with their smaller roles, and an unbilled A-lister who shows up during the final stretch was also great and in the film more than I was expecting. Visually the film is stunning and its cinematography and special effects are expectedly top-notch. It's definitely a theatrical experience that demands to be seen on the big screen, and I question how effective it would be without the booming sound and overwhelming visuals. Hans Zimmer's score is great and harkens back to Spielberg and Kubrick films (clearly Nolan's intention) and definitely adds another layer of emotion to every scene - I also don't understand the critics who say it is too bombastic because one of the things I liked the most about the film was how well it used its quieter, more somber moments. Ultimately this is a movie that very much wears its heart on its sleeve and that is undoubtedly going to make it have its detractors. But I was very, very moved by this movie and what it was trying to accomplish - and even though it almost certainly has some flaws I was able to overlook them because of how powerful the final product is.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:11 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

I have a feeling I'm going to be crying a lot during this.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:52 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I have $43 to my name.

So... I have to wait until the weekend, sir.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:57 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I haven't even seen Gone Girl yet, man. (don't tell Libs)

I'm incredibly behind on my movie watching. But this is at the top of my list.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:59 pm
Extraordinary

Chippy wrote:
I have a feeling I'm going to be crying a lot during this.

I cried three times. Might as well own it.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Why do I get the feeling that Dr.Lecter is the only voice of reason on this site when writing or expressing his opinion about a movie and the only one that tries to go with a blank slate and no prejudices. Granted, David also expresses himself well and tries to justify his opinion, but I feel he is still positively biased towards certain kind of movies, while Lecter is more level headed.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:39 pm
Extraordinary

Price wrote:
Why do I get the feeling that Dr.Lecter is the only voice of reason on this site when writing or expressing his opinion about a movie and the only one that tries to go with a blank slate and no prejudices. Granted, David also expresses himself well and tries to justify his opinion, but I feel he is still positively biased towards certain kind of movies, while Lecter is more level headed.

Why do I get the feeling you just don't want this movie to be very good? Which makes it especially funny when you complain about prejudices.

I always try to go into a movie with a blank slate, but I can't help the fact that certain filmmakers, like Nolan, almost always connect with my sensibilities.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:42 pm
Extraordinary

I think the flaws that this has (not that well developed characters being the big one) is overshadowed by how big and grand the whole production feels. I enjoyed this way more than Gravity. The film is bloated but not in a way that makes the film drag for too long. I think I'll see this again in a week probably.

I heard some girls cry at the end. I don't think I was that emotionally affected by the film but in awe of how sumptuous it looked.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:15 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

The Dark Shape wrote:
Price wrote:

Why do I get the feeling you just don't want this movie to be very good? Which makes it especially funny when you complain about prejudices.

I always try to go into a movie with a blank slate, but I can't help the fact that certain filmmakers, like Nolan, almost always connect with my sensibilities.

1. If I didn't mention you or some other people is because you are not one of the 'usual reviewers'. Most of the reviews I see from you are for horror movies (which is fine with me as it's my fave genre) but the quantity of your reviews is still low compared to others. Btw, any ideas when Green Inferno is finally going to be released?

2. If I don't post reviews is
a) I'm a lazy bastard
b) I'm somewhat busy because of work but still try to see at least a movie a day. Therefore, right now I'm seeing movies that were released around June and no one cares about those any more. I also watch a lot of older stuff, which makes the backlog even bigger.
c) I'm fine with single word reviews, but have to laugh at things like: it's flawed, it's somewhat boring in parts , but it's Nolan (Kubrick, Argento, Rattner, Verhoeven, Boll, etc) so I give it an A+.

3. Pre-excitement is fine. I also look forward to movies of certain directors, but when it looks and smells like shit, you know, it's shit. I usually like Mamet as a writer and/or director, but Oleanna is one of the most boring pieces of cinema I have seen in my life. And the same movie would still be a big pile of poo if it was directed by Verhoeven, Nolan, Rob Cohen or some unknown or first time director.

4. I cannot comment on Interstellar myself, as I haven't seen it (at the rate I'm going I will probably see it in April), but I have enjoyed everything I have seen from Nolan so far (everything but Doodlebug), with Memento being my favorite and Insomnia the weakest as I thought it did not really bring anything new to the Skjoldbjærg original. So, why would I want it to fail?
I just like to make fun of blind fanboys.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:28 pm
Gamaur's sex slave

Double post.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:32 pm
Extraordinary

Enjoyed it, especially the second half where everything got tied together. Some breathtaking images, in particular that initial scene of driving through the corn field to chase the drone.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Price wrote:
The Dark Shape wrote:
Price wrote:
c) I'm fine with single word reviews, but have to laugh at things like: it's flawed, it's somewhat boring in parts , but it's Nolan (Kubrick, Argento, Rattner, Verhoeven, Boll, etc) so I give it an A+.

... I don't think anyone in this thread gave it an A+. I would understand your essay if you already watched the film already but you haven't. I am definitely not a Nolan fanboy (if I said what I really feel about the Dark Knight trilogy I'd probably get shunned) and I thought this film was great filmmaking, that's it. I was apprehensive about watching this and ended up enjoying myself, that's all that matters.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:01 pm
You must have big rats

Price, whether I am right or not, if you are gonna see the film, you absolutely MUST see it on the big screen.

Funny thing is, that my grade is not that different from Magnus (it is around 8-8.5/10), but I am far more critical of it, at least vocally. Of course the film has got tremendous posotive things about it: the score, the visuals, the two robots, most of the acting, the fact that a whole lot of its science actually seems plausible. Yes, it is a good movie. But criticism towards it is fair.

I'll bite, so here's one of the things that bothered me, in spoilers, so Magnus (and others) can discuss with me on it:

The bookshelf thing...the second the bookshelf messages appeard in the film, I knew it'd be McConaughey behind it. Why? Because it is a Nolan-film, so you expect a twist and given that the film plays with wormholes and space/time-issues, it was obvious that whoever is sending that message wouldn't be some random grey alien, but would be someone we know. It was so painfully obvious that I was slightly sad when I turned out to be right. But that is franly a minor gripe - lack of any surprise in the film.

The bigger is, and maybe that is the cynic in me - the film basically states that love is a tangible, measurable force. That it is powerfu force that draws people and that basically Hathaway's wish to go to that other planet, based on her love for that astronaut, was corect because of the POWER OF LOVE. What a CROCK OF CORNY SHIT. I'm sorry, but the whole Love Is All Powerful that it is a physical force is just cringe-worthy to me. That is basically one of the two only big flaws I find in the film.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The love stuff was pretty corny but I didn't mind it too much. Now if this was another director I'm sure all that stuff would get torn to shreds. I was reading somewhere that if Zack Snyder made this exact movie it'd get scathing reviews and I agree.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:05 pm
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
Ignaity Vishnevetsky ftw:

Quote:
"That's what I love about this relativity, man. My daughter gets older, I stay the same age."

winner

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

We can agree on that. My problem was that it really tried to, more than actually trying to be its own thing.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

Magnus wrote:
Price wrote:
I just like to make fun of blind fanboys.

so PE1, thomps, xia, TDS, and BGE are all Nolan fanboys? ok.

I get if your target is me and that's fine.

1. I wouldn't call xia, TDS and BGE fanboys.
2. I make fun of fanboys in general. There are worse than Nolan ones. Coughcoughpixarcoughcough.
3. You are not a target. At least not for this one. :ninja:

Also, Lecter, in my original comment I never imply that you dislike the movie. I just state that I find you the most honest reviewer on this site and like 70% of the time we do agree about the movies we like! especially horror ones. That's why I really like to see your reports from the Fantasy Film Fest, as your preferred films are the ones that I try to catch first.

Last edited by Price on Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next