Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Suicide Squad 

Rate the film:
A 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Suicide Squad 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Suicide Squad
Watching the extended cut. I will say that I liked most of the additions, there's one particular sequence that I don't get why it was cut (Harley talking to each member of the squad)

Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:40 am
Keeping it Light

Finally saw this, been looking forward to it, and probably the main blockbuster I still missed. As it appears, I didn't miss anything. The film is mostly terrible, it seems so awfully put together and while it seems action packed it feels so boring. For a film that attempt to be wacky and different it does nothing interesting. Deadpool was fun and cool and while Suicide Squad has some highlights, they are so far and between to find. The best thing in the film is probably Jai Courtney, he fits the role perfectly, he comes in small doses and his parts are enjoyably. Margot Robbie also couldn't be more perfect than Harley Quinn. All the rest, they are mostly fine or ok, there's not much they can do with the material I guess. The film seems poorly written, I watched the extended cut by the way and it jumps way too heavily from one sequence or character emotion to the next. It didn't allow me to bond with anything. Another good thing is the soundtrack, it features some great songs, but the execution of them in the film feels very choppy. With BvS I found there to be some great scenes, it just didn't form coherence. With Suicide Squad it even looks difficult to get a scene right. It's often unintentionally funny, which is where I took more enjoyed out of than the film overall. There's also a few other jokes that hit, but the film has really a problem that it doesn't know what it wants to be. I liked Ayer's Sabotage and Fury, gritty and down with realism, they had some engagement. Suicide is just devoid of it. The fact there's some good songs in it and Robbie being pretty much great in the lead role is what tend me to be still be a bit kind to this.

D+

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:37 pm
Cream of the Crop

...more like Sissified Squad... amirite?!? :shocked:

Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:57 pm
now we know

The key to enjoying this film is in the expectations.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

*1/2 / ***** (D-)

Not as terrible as BvS, but not much better too. The plot is pointless. Basically everyone is at their worst acting wise. But there's some charm here and there with the characters that didn't deserve this. At least it's not a pretentious serious sociopolitical affair like BvS utterly failed to be.

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

1. Is Flash an already established in costume super hero? I thought the reason Batman wasn't there is because he is off recruiting the JL, yet we have a flashback of the Flash catching Captain Boomerang?

2. There is no reason for this plot. Waller didn't want them fighting, but to simply come to her building, only to leave them behind in a helicopter she could have called at any time. They're the ones who ultimately chose to fight them.

3. Why didn't Enchantress suck out their souls and turn them into her demons, as she clearly had that power?

I think this is the best of the DCU so far with faint praise as their is a lot of good things in here, but this film is just so dam sloppy. It was better the second time I watched it. I think at least MOS is the only cohesive film so far. They really need to just get their shit together and simplify their movies. (They actually introduced these unknown characters pretty well) Their plots are really getting in the way of overall great style, action, acting, etc.

Man of Steel A
Suicide Squad B
BVS C-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:36 am
Keeping it Light

I have a very tough time considering this better than BvS which I thought had the better plot, acting and action. I do say though Leto's Joker > Eissenburg's Luther, but otherwise it was worse in most aspects. Also Suicide Squad has such a great soundtrack, but it was so poorly applied.

Man of Steel is just a very good film, too bad the last 20min. or so is just numb-making CGI.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:42 am

I think it's better for the fact potential is there, you can tell they reshot a lot and edited it to make it as fun as possible. BVS fails on the fact it's really the only time we can get that plot. Hopefully now that we are passed the dcu "half assed catch up to marvel" period is over. In the end we got 3 Superman sequels horribly mixed together, and a new interesting take on Batman. Wonder Woman is really the important to see if they actually slow down and focus on one coherent movie

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:58 pm
You must have big rats

Thegun wrote:

I think this is the best of the DCU so far

Thegun wrote:
Man of Steel A
Suicide Squad B
BVS C-

Wut?

Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:18 pm
Profile WWW

I can se why that is confusing. I don't really consider MOS Dceu because it was before everything was tainted by the bullshit. More just that SS is leagues above BVS. MOS is coherent just not my type of Superman movie, so even though I rank it higher grade wise, I had a much better experience with SS. I'm not one of those people that ranks an F film an A just because I love how bad it is

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:53 pm
now we know

Thegun wrote:
MOS is coherent just not my type of Superman movie

You gave it an A. :huh:

Thegun wrote:
I'm not one of those people that ranks an F film an A just because I love how bad it is

But perhaps you rank a B film an A because of some other weird and wonderful reason?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:18 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

The Thegun posts in this thread are a bit of riddle.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:06 pm
now we know

It's clear that he just hasn't taken the time to sit down and really think about what his opinion is.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:12 pm
Profile WWW

I really don't see the issue. There are plenty of "A" movies that I don't particularly like that much. I don't like Schindler's list, but its a terrific movie. I myself, don't ever need to see that movie again because I don't like it personally, doesn't mean it's not a good movie. If you use your personal taste as to what constitutes a good movie, that's fine too. I've certainly done it, but lately I try to keep my opinion out of it, and look at it from a lot of different perspectives. To me I find a more satisfying conclusion doing it that way. It makes more sense to me than shitting on an obviously good movie because I particularly didn't like it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:00 pm
You must have big rats

You keep acting as if there is a quantifiable, objective way to rate films. There isn't.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

LOL. But surely a prerequisite for giving an A is that you at least like it! lol, Thegun. lol lol lol such a fucking moron.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Thegun surely has been Thefun with his replies lately.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:10 pm
now we know

Basically, Thegun is saying "I dislike Schindler's List, but everyone else loves it. They can't be wrong, and I'm too much of a sheep to disagree, so it's an A from me!". In that case, we don't need to see your reviews ever again. You might as well stay out of this forum. You're not a critic. You're an aggregator. We can just check IMDB to know your opinion on any film. :thumbsup:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:10 pm
Profile WWW

Dr. Lecter wrote:
You keep acting as if there is a quantifiable, objective way to rate films. There isn't.

Oh come on, what a load of a bull shit! You seriously can't sit there and say a film was well acted, well shot, well edited, has a good score, did it entertain me? Was the story cohesive? You create your own criteria.

What the fuck do you write about in your "Professional" reviews? Good, bad, I shit my pants because I couldn't bare miss a second of it? How do you as a professional reviewer not have a personal system for film. And I am not saying that it is as cut and dry. Obviously there are films you throw away just for entertainment purposes. But even you have to have a checklist on a movie.

And I love Schindler's list for a lot of reasons Algren, I just never need or want to see it ever again. There is nothing sheepish about that.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:26 pm

Algren wrote:
Basically, Thegun is saying "I dislike Schindler's List, but everyone else loves it. They can't be wrong, and I'm too much of a sheep to disagree, so it's an A from me!". In that case, we don't need to see your reviews ever again. You might as well stay out of this forum. You're not a critic. You're an aggregator. We can just check IMDB to know your opinion on any film. :thumbsup:

If you want an opinion, I'll give you an opinion. If you want an analysis of the film, I'll do that too.

And why diss IMDB when you had critics consensus at rotten tomatoes all tee'd up for you?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:29 pm
You must have big rats

Thegun wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

Oh come on, what a load of a bull shit! You seriously can't sit there and say a film was well acted, well shot, well edited, has a good score, did it entertain me? Was the story cohesive? You create your own criteria.

What the fuck do you write about in your "Professional" reviews? Good, bad, I shit my pants because I couldn't bare miss a second of it? How do you as a professional reviewer not have a personal system for film. And I am not saying that it is as cut and dry. Obviously there are films you throw away just for entertainment purposes. But even you have to have a checklist on a movie.

And I love Schindler's list for a lot of reasons Algren, I just never need or want to see it ever again. There is nothing sheepish about that.

I write my personal opinion and reinforce it with thought-out and well-founded arguments - but of course they remain subjective. Can you quantifiably prove that something is well-acted? Can you give be irrefutable proof of a good score? Yes, of course you create your own criteria, meaning that it is absolutely subjective and no different whatsoever from your own opinion.

You are just too fucking stupid.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Thegun wrote:
Baa baa baa

:thumbsup:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:49 pm
Profile WWW

Why is this a thing??????

I like to write usually the same exact way. Some off comment on how I gave MOS an A, but like other versions of Superman more turned into some weird side step.

I never said I can "quantifiably" prove an aspect of any movie, fucktard. That was your own bullshit response. You have a system, I have a system. Nothing is wrong, it's all opinion. I don't have to prove anything as long as it works for me. I'm not stupid for liking to do review movies a different way. I think it's so strange as it's not like I made this up. It's one of the 2 most common ways to review.

You can honestly say that there isn't one movie out there that you love or dislike, but you can see it simply from a filmmaking perspective. You can chose to ignore it and give it an F because of your opinion. And that is more than fine. I like to think pass the opinion on films that do that to me. I think it rightfully enhances your viewpoint.

Fight over, love you Lec! Happy Holidays.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:58 pm
now we know

Thegun wrote:
You can honestly say that there isn't one movie out there that you love or dislike, but you can see it simply from a filmmaking perspective.

Nobody will dispute this, but usually people don't then go and award a film they dislike an A just because they appreciate it from a film-making perspective. That tends to make people look like a sheep. They disliked the film, but because it's doing well with critics/awards, they feel compelled to love it, so they give it a high grade. People that do this usually have a yearly top ten that looks like this:

Libs wrote:
1. La La Land
2. Arrival
3. Manchester by the Sea
4. The Lobster
5. Moonlight
6. Eye in the Sky
7. Fences
8. Hell or High Water
9. Love & Friendship
10. Hacksaw Ridge

...when it should really look like this:

RealLibs wrote:
1. The Edge of Seventeen
2. Love & Friendship
3. Zootopia
4. Bad Moms
5. Bridget Jones's Baby
6. Finding Dory
7. Hello, My Name is Doris
8. Jackie
9. Moana
10. Ghostbusters

;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:03 am
Profile WWW

I don't disagree. I wouldn't say I've ever put a movie on my personal list because you are suppose to like it though.

PS, Oh man Algren, I know you're obsessed with the sheep crap. You need to get back on Seinfeld ASAP there is an episode devoted to this with The English Patient. You would love it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next