Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Suicide Squad 

Rate the film:
A 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Suicide Squad 
Pure Phase

Post Re: Suicide Squad
I guess this Snyder quote is the DCEU's philosophical mission statement:

"Everyone says that about Batman Begins, "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas, okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go."

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:42 am
Pure Phase

I wonder why Warner Bros. cut so much of the Joker out of the movie. Purely for reasons of length? He was the primary selling point alongside Harley Quinn. The mainstream viewership is obviously nowhere near as down on this film as critics, but the news of most of the Joker content being on the cutting-room floor seems an agreed-upon point of dissatisfaction. Of course, the modern fanboy is highly conditioned to expect a super-special ultimate director's extended cut a few months after a film's theatrical release.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:45 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

David wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Boomerang and Skipnot were not even in prison

They were. Or at least Boomerang definitely was. He was caught by the Flash and sent to jail.

On another note: Slipknot. In a superior movie, his fate could be an awesome bit of macabre comedy. They should have built him up, made him charismatic and ass-kicking and memorable. Then boom. The route they go is cowardly. It is absurdly conspicuous how underdeveloped he is.

Yeah but that is just editing problems on Boomerang's part being cut from the movie. Why wasn't he in the same prison? Flash caught him during an American robbery, maybe he escaped or something? The end scene of Boomerang is also him shouting and the only one without any "privileges", his leaving for a sec during the prep talk and getting back again is also so unexplained. The movie really never focuses on anyone other than Harley and Deadshot.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:57 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Chippy wrote:
What? Their motivation was to not die. That's the motivation.

Did I not cover the not dying part in my sentence? I wasn't talking about that. Before they really decided that they will do the untold mission what happened? Waller came to talk to them but we are not shown that. Its not like they couldn't say NO to her offer.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:04 pm
Cream of the Crop

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Chippy wrote:
Their motivation was to not die. That's the motivation.

Did I not cover the not dying part in my sentence? I wasn't talking about that.

How dare you speak to our new moderator in that tone of voice!

Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:27 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

They couldn't say no to her offer.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:47 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

OK, let's get this out of the way first. This is a terrible movie. It feels hacked to death, the plot doesn't make any sense whatsoever, the script is bad and cheesy, the sense of them building a team is never established once, the music choices are off - it's a hodgepodge of a lot of ideas that feel like they were thrown into a blender and released to the world.

That being said, I enjoyed it somewhat. It's entertaining and relatively fast-paced despite making no sense, and definitely veers into 'so bad its good' territory with the hilarious, ultra-campy final showdown with Enchantress and her brother. There are also a few beats that do land. I thought Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Viola Davis were all great. Will Smith feels like he's back in his '90s blockbuster skin and despite his character beats being contrived I found him likable. Robbie is a lot of fun and super energetic, and seems to be having a blast here. I'm excited for her standalone movie for sure. Her and Smith also have a really nice chemistry! Their scenes together are the best and by the end I was actually rooting for their characters to end up together. And Viola Davis brings an assertiveness and strength to a role that is otherwise somewhat poorly written. There are also a few scenes that are legitimately fun - I loved the elevator scene with Harley and the subsequent office fight, as well as Deadshot's shooting range scene.

The other performances range from forgettable to awful. I thought Jai Courtney was fine but they gave him nothing to do. Jay Hernandez was incredibly one-note as well, and the less said about the vaguely racist Croc character the better. Joel Kinnaman, Jared Leto and Cara Delevigne were absolutely fucking terrible. Delevigne is awful but it isn't entirely her fault, the character itself is ridiculous and a bad villain, and a good number of her scenes involve her mostly gyrating against an obvious green screen in hideous costumes. Her scenes as June Moon are terrible as well though - and it's hilarious the movie expects us to care about her relationship with Rick. Kinnaman is maybe worst in show here - such a bland, boring, unlikable performance. Jared Leto is also terrible, delivering some kind of weird mishmash of Heath Ledger's iconic take on the Joker mixed with some bad Jim Carrey schitk. His scenes were the worst in the film and felt wholly unnecessary.

However, this is still a better movie than Batman v. Superman, at least in terms of enjoyment. It isn't dour seriousness the entire way through and Smith and Robbie are more charismatic than anyone in that film's cast was. And no one makes a fool of themselves here in the way that Jesse Eisenberg did.

C

Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:37 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Also, Ezra Miller's Flash continues to suck and that scene was stupid.

And the after-credits scene was a waste of time.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:38 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

Delete your account

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:41 am
Romosexual!

thompsoncory wrote:
Also, Ezra Miller's Flash continues to suck and that scene was stupid.

And the after-credits scene was a waste of time.

Chippy wrote:
Delete your account

Yes plese

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:04 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Hey, I didn't even bash this as much as I could have :P It's awful, but hilarious too and I did enjoy myself.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:15 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

No. I'm not mad about your review.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:18 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

We're not seriously arguing about Ezra Miller's pointless cameo in this right?

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:21 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Pundit

Yes. Because you're wrong.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:24 am
I heet the canadian!

The real issue with the Flash cameo (and the mid-credits scene) is it puts a spotlight on just how absurd it is that Batman et al didn't deal with the destruction in Midway City.

Marvel films often have the same issue, and it's a big reason why not every damn movie needs to have world-ending stakes.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:23 pm
Superman: The Movie

The first 45 minutes? Not bad. Then the film becomes nothing more than mindless gun battles and features, quite possibly, the two worst comic book movie villains to ever grace a movie screen. And then when the movie turns out to be a mini The Raid/Dredd, it just becomes absurd.

Put this cast in something good and DC might be on to something. This isn't it though.

And Harley Quinn's dream sequence...can we begin at problematic? And I don't know the comic/cartoon material very well, but doesn't that go against her character completely? Yeah, he turned her, he kind of has her thumb on her, but isn't she a little more independent and a little more of her own person in the comics? But deep down she wants to be domesticated and doesn't want any anarchy? So deep down somewhere in there she's sane. I call bullshit.

I also agree with the sentiment that the Squad shouldn't be saving the world.

And, one more and, I had this question back when the trailer came out and I still have it: Superman went from being a threat, to mostly appreciated, to dead, to sharing the same values in hindsight? Okay, so in this "realistic" universe, people are going to be happy and NOT SHIT THEIR PANTS when he returns from the DEAD? Again, I call bullshit.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This version of Harley and Joker isn't that faithful, especially with the Joker. Would the animated series or comic book Joker go out of their way to save Harley? I don't think so. But Harley has always been head over heals for Joker. Sure she gets away sometimes but she always finds herself back with him, I don't see what was wrong with the dream sequence in terms of character but it would've been more fun had they had them in their regular clothes but domesticated.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:12 pm
You must have big rats

David wrote:
I wonder why Warner Bros. cut so much of the Joker out of the movie. Purely for reasons of length? He was the primary selling point alongside Harley Quinn. The mainstream viewership is obviously nowhere near as down on this film as critics, but the news of most of the Joker content being on the cutting-room floor seems an agreed-upon point of dissatisfaction. Of course, the modern fanboy is highly conditioned to expect a super-special ultimate director's extended cut a few months after a film's theatrical release.

Because originally the relationship between the Joker and Harley was portrayed as abisive and that is not what Warner wanted to have in this film.

Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:39 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Entertaining enough

B

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:04 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'd say since the creator of Harley Quinn loved her character in this, this version is more than fine.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:31 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Well once they finally "force" the team together its still coherent but I didn't see/feel any qualities of friendship/family there aside from HQ and Deadshot, that's one of the things that MCU has done good over the years, the bonding between characters. GotG faced the same challenge of introducing new characters but we do care about all characters, even when some of them didn't speak (Groot). Not only that it just didn't seem that the whole team actually defeated the villain, which even when super cheesy was done fine by GotG.

Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:19 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I mean yeah there are some things here and there but compared to the movie before the Midway City part is pretty straightforward with very minimal tonal shifts and they are mostly present in all MCU movies as well. Just that the execution fails after that point, maybe too many edits.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:15 pm
The French Dutch Boy

So, I finally got around to seeing this, and it was actually good.

It kept me engaged throughout, and there were several compelling characters, with Will Smith's Deadshot, Jay Hernandez's Diablo, and Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn. The film pleasantly surprised me in that it was more character driven than I expected. Overall, the squad's dynamic worked for me. Even the head military dude wasn't just a character barking orders; he was invested in the operation. Viola Davis makes for a great badass. The soundtrack was excellent. The ending overall feels satisfying.

To be a great film, it should have gone darker. Perhaps if they had allowed it to enter rated R territory and went with some good dark humour, it could have really worked. This would have helped make Harley Quinn a really twisted, funny, sad character. I think Deadshot most shines in the film.

It also could have been great if the disjointed first half of the film more precisely defined our characters. Overall the film struggled with how to balance the squad. I did like that some of the characters were wrestling with their sense of self as criminals and "bad guys". The bar scene is a high point because of this, as they essentially reflect on on how society views them and they disagree about how they should view themselves. "We're bad guys, it's what we do" Harley Quinn says earlier. Her character slides in and out, seemingly crazy but at times lucid and with it, and we get the sense that she has been corrupted. Deadshot had an abusive father and is now immersed in a criminal world and yet still struggles to be a good father himself. Diablo's story feels all too real; toxic masculinity at play, as a gang leader and a man prone to anger.

It works the best with Diablo because his character isn't a ruthless villain, but as the film initially sets up the Suicide Squad as a group of villains who are the worst of the worst, the most dangerous criminals, bad to the bone, it makes for an overall disjointed venture. Not knowing much about their comic book origins, I think the film should have played them up as a group of incredibly skilled criminals (as in the case of Deadshot) and criminals with incredible powers (as in the case of Diablo), and then allow the film to unravel the complexities of some of those characters in a way that would have been clearer.

And lastly, to be a great film, they should have definitely hired someone else to be The Joker (you know, a skilled actor). I don't have a problem with the aesthetic given to the Joker in this film; I actually think the look worked. I just think Jared Leto did a poor job - it feels like he is trying too hard. But I admit I am biased, because I really dislike Jared Leto.

Peace,
Mike

Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:31 am
The Kramer

Yeah I also enjoyed this thanks to lowered expectations. It is very messy and I found myself constantly asking "why would they do that?" It fails as the Guardian of the Galaxy ripoff it was promoted as. But as just a Will Smith actioner, this worked for me.

The main issue for me is the Rick Flagg story. It's clearly written for a big actor like Tom Hardy. Once he dropped out they should've dropped the entire subplot, or at least had the guts to go all the way through with it. Flagg never gets a chance to kill Enchantress while she is in human form, despite it being teased for the entire movie. Instead its Deadshot who gets the big emotional decision at the end. Do you follow that up with another one or just go for the happy ending? I can't blame WB for that. I'd also have liked to see Harley have a scene where she chooses her new friends over Mr. J, but again I get why the story went another way.

Leto's Joker ... Not terrible.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:57 pm
now we know

This wasn't bad. I did not overly enjoy myself while watching it, but it impressed me. I didn't exactly go in with high hopes, but the story was actually pretty decent in how the squad isn't just aimlessly being naughty in an abandoned city at night (as I expected after the misleading trailers). There is a lot in here that isn't in the trailers. The villain in the film was a big shock. The female villain was cool, but the brother was even better. I liked every encounter with Batman. Sad that Superman was nowhere to be seen, but The Flash is, briefly, in a flashback. The film uses some nice songs in the first half of the film too.

Where the film loses points is in the ruthlessness of the characters. For a film called Suicide Squad, this was a bunch of very sentimental, caring people. Almost every scene had Deadshot acting like a decent human being, getting emotional over his daughter, and protecting others in the group. The Hispanic tattooed-face guy was also quite the pussy (he could take over from Andrew Garfield in "Hacksaw Ridge 2"). The only ones that were noticeably crazy were Captain Boomerang and Harley Quinn (and I think she was more flirty than crazy). Which brings us to The Joker; Leto does a good job. But he's hardly in the film! Viola Davis was a bore, and Kinnaman was kind of annoying, as was Will Smith, though I like that there might be an on-going duel between his character and Batman.

The forced humour is just that, forced. And it's noticeable and off-putting. Seeing Kill Croc crack wise is as ridiculous as seeing The Thing in 2005's Fantastic Four (but at least that film understands its sense of fun). And a big annoyance for me was the teen nature of the film. No F-bombs, no bloodshed, just very tame, and again, for a film called Suicide Squad, this is not good enough.

B

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next