Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Suicide Squad 

Rate the film:
A 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
B 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
C 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Suicide Squad 
I heet the canadian!

Post Re: Suicide Squad
I thought it was the worst comic book film in recent memory. Terrible script, terrible villains, sub-par CGI, bland cinematography, horribly inconsistent tone and flow. The last act is just as bad as Fantastic Four 2015, and meanwhile the first act is edited and scored like a shitty music video.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:48 am
Pure Phase

The movie has a nice collection of songs on paper, but the way it uses them is often obnoxious. It always tries to sidestep building an actual mood by using a pop-music shortcut, be it "Sympathy for the Devil" or "Fortunate Son" or "Black Skinhead." And if we are playing a compared-to-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy game, the music there is largely of a piece and contributes to the plot (R&B and power pop Star-Lord would have known during his childhood on earth), whereas this is just a noisy grab bag.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:58 am
I heet the canadian!

I'm not usually one to cry "sexism" from a film, but there's definitely an almost Michael Bay esque obsession with having the camera leer at Margot Robbie. And don't even get me started on Slipknot hitting a female guard and then cracking a one-liner.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:26 am
You must have big rats

Terrible film. Definitely worse than Batman v Superman. At least Snyder failed with ambitions. This just was plain bad.

I hope the character of Slipknot doesn't have many fans, hehe. Though I sensed something was off when he was the only one of the bunch not to get any flashback or backstory.

Also, the film is not funny whatsoever.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Killer Croc just wants to watch BET with his shawty. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:14 pm
Forum General

I'm a little surprised everyone is being so hard on this. It's not a GREAT movie, but I was reasonably entertained. Smith, Robbie, Leto were all great in their roles. I personally loved the song choices. I liked many of the action scenes, especially the Diablo scenes (did he, the most powerful of the squad, actually die? That would be a bummer as I liked that character.) Pacing and story wise, the movie is a mess, but it was an entertaining mess for me. Enchantress was a bad character, I think it rather unfair to blame the actress for that.

B

Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

This was a complete tonal mess and was obviously sliced and diced in the editing room, but I can't say it's completely without certain pleasures. I did think it was a bit better than Batman v Superman was, but overall not by that much. The best thing about this movie is the trio of strong performances from Margot Robbie, Will Smith and Viola Davis, who all bring grit and gravitas to their characters and help elevate the scenes they appear in. No one else in the cast really registers, other than a mushmouthed performance from Joel Kinnaman being barely distinguishable from the one Jai Courtney gives, or the frankly rather terrible acting from Cara Delevigne (who is not helped by being forced to portray one of the lamest villains in recent memory). Jared Leto is...whatever. He's barely in this movie. I liked certain scenes, but the film's overall structure is just not especially coherent. Which is a shame, because this had real potential. C

Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:38 pm
loyalfromlondon

somehow even worse than bvs

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:57 pm
Pure Phase

Cannot understand the praise for Will Smith in this. He just plays Will Smith and rather blandly compared to the funniest, most vivid "Will Smith as Will Smith" performances in the '90s. He brings no grit or gravitas to the role.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:03 pm
Extraordinary

I wonder if they are gonna stick with Ayer for the sequel. It was pretty much too late to get someone else with JL but they have time with a sequel to this.

Teenagers are eating this up though like it's being reported. A group of teenage girls at my theater were gushing about Harley.

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:24 pm
Pure Phase

www.hottopic.com/pop-culture/shop-by-li ... ide-squad/

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:27 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'm gonna go B+. Not a fan of the 'brother' character. Probably my biggest gripe.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:50 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I actually thought there was going to be shoddy editing throughout... But outside of a few messy moments in the first 30 min, everything was pretty straightforward. Shallow plot, but great characters. Wanted more Joker stuff, but whatevs. Really enjoyable, but you could see the WB execs meddling.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:10 am
Indiana Jones IV

Was there a credits/post credits scene? I didn't stay for it..

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:08 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Ghostooze wrote:
Was there a credits/post credits scene? I didn't stay for it..

Yeah, it was Bruce Wayne receiving a dossier from Waller on other metahumans such as The Flash, Aquaman etc.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

And she reveals she knows he is Batman. He says she should shut the Suicide Squad down and let his group handle threats from now on.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:13 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm so disappointed at how bad this is sounding. I was legitimately really excited for it and was hoping it could turn this universe around after that BvS disaster earlier this year.

I'm planning on seeing it later this week with lowered expectations - I really want to see Margot's performance which is the main reason I'm still going. I hope I still enjoy it.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:06 pm
Profile YIM
Don't Dream It, Be It

Very forgettable. One of the first questions either I, or someone else I'm seeing a movie with, asks is, "What was your favorite scene"? Well... none of us had one. I wanted to like really like this film, but it defines the word 'underwhelming' in every sense. C

That said, Harley, Deadshot, Waller, and I guess Joker, too, were at least entertaining, and characters I hope become frequent inclusions in the DCU. The rest of the large cast however... they were either very dull or just awful (Captain Boomerang... really?), and hopefully don't return as their current selves.

I also never really understood what the point of gathering these apparent worst-of-the-worst criminals was in the first place, much less what they were supposed to be doing. They were on a mission to extract someone from Midway City from the chaos caused by the Enchantress, which ended up being Waller...okay, fine, but before that? So they could help defend against the "next Superman"?

And Waller, honestly, didn't come across as the type of person who needed assistance is escaping Midway City in the first place. She had plenty of personnel at her command - personnel that had little/no trouble getting to the roof of the building she was in, and that were capable of taking down the Joker in his failed rescue attempt of Harley. She seemed more than capable of escaping given her resources.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Also, in the final fight, how exactly does The Enchantress not kill the entire team within 10 seconds?

If Superman were to turn bad, would Harley Quinn, Deadshot and Captain Boomerang bei able to stop him? LOL

What exactly are Harley Quinn's super abilities in this anyway?

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

She is crazy and has a baseball bat. ;)

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:44 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Why did they decide to become a team, yes we are shown that they would be killed somewhere in the middle of it but going on a mission for no reason seems absurd. Why couldn't they show Waller trying to convince these people to fight? The attempts that were made with Diablo surely failed, Deadshot's scene was maybe explained a bit. Boomerang and Skipnot were not even in prison, Harley's scene with Waller is one-liner and nothing with Croc made sense anyways. This is one of the things that disappoints me the most, not knowing the motivation of these characters for this assistance.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:25 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

What? Their motivation was to not die. That's the motivation.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:15 am
Pure Phase

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Boomerang and Skipnot were not even in prison

They were. Or at least Boomerang definitely was. He was caught by the Flash and sent to jail.

On another note: Slipknot. In a superior movie, his fate could be an awesome bit of macabre comedy. They should have built him up, made him charismatic and ass-kicking and memorable. Then boom. The route they go is cowardly. It is absurdly conspicuous how underdeveloped he is.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:28 am
You must have big rats

David wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
Boomerang and Skipnot were not even in prison

They were. Or at least Boomerang definitely was. He was caught by the Flash and sent to jail.

On another note: Slipknot. In a superior movie, his fate could be an awesome bit of macabre comedy. They should have built him up, made him charismatic and ass-kicking and memorable. Then boom. The route they go is cowardly. It is absurdly conspicuous how underdeveloped he is.

Apparently in the original version of the film, he was alluded to being a serial rapist (oh what fun DC films are!), so that audiences don't mourn his demise.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:30 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I mean, he's a villain. Villains aren't normally fun, bro. People were upset that Batman punched HQ. Sometimes people are stupid.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next