Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Nerve (2016) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Nerve (2016) 
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Nerve (2016)
Nerve (2016)

Quote:
Nerve (stylized as NERVE) is an upcoming American science fiction teen adventure thriller film directed by Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, and written by Jessica Sharzer, based on the 2012 novel of the same name. The film stars Emma Roberts, Dave Franco and Juliette Lewis, and revolves around an online objective truth or dare video game called Nerve that people can enlist as "players" or "watchers" as the game intensifies.

In February 2014, the film – along with its directors – was announced. Within January and April 2015, the cast and main characters had signed up for the role, as well as additionals. Principal photography commenced in New York City from April 13 to June 5, with production wrapping up the same time.

The film is scheduled to be released on July 27, 2016 by Lionsgate.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Nerve (2016)
I thought this was a pretty entertaining watch, although if you've never heard of this don't watch the trailer, gives way too much away. The movie is a little too tame, had they cranked up the edginess it had the potential to be something really special but it's still a relatively well shot/made film with a convincing performance from Emma Roberts.

Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:16 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was a decent movie with a great concept and a novel idea but fails to convert its ideas into a great thriller. The acting is great overall specially Emma Roberts and Dave Franco. The lack of suspense and the rushed ending with poor attempt to connect with phone-hugging audience if handled properly would have made this a must watch, for now its a good concept thriller.

5/10

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:46 pm
Pure Phase

Directed by Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, who made the best Paranormal Activity film (number three) and conceived the distinctly modern Catfish franchise, Nerve centers on an online game in which players complete absurd, dangerous, and/or humiliating dares in return for a monetary reward. Over the course of one night, the life of an introverted Staten Island teenager (Emma Roberts) is upended as she and a handsome stranger (Dave Franco) unexpectedly become a popular duo among the game's viewership, the Watchers. Though it gestures toward social relevance—the dehumanizing power of an avatar and screen name and so on and so forth—this concept is mostly a reason to stage a series of set pieces and stunts: shoplift, reach 60 miles per hour on a motorcycle blindfolded, etc. And the film is largely entertaining as it goes. Certain scenes have a genuine sense of youthful abandon, of giving oneself over to the neon-lit magic and menace of the city at night. Plus, both stars are enticing: Roberts has a down-to-earth allure while Franco exudes rebel-without-a-cause magnetism in what may be the most convincing case yet for him as a movie star in his own right (versus being James' brother who also acts). Unfortunately, the end game is flawed. Its final bid to ratchet up the suspense and cement itself as a cautionary tale—guns enter the equation as Nerve shifts from foolhardy game to overtly lethal conspiracy—is a bridge too far and instead defuses the tension, and the ultimately facile presentation of ethics and technology is no longer veiled by an aura of sexy summertime escapism.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:49 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I enjoyed it. It's ridiculous but fun, and largely benefits from a talented young ensemble and some strong direction. A few sequences such as the motorcycle dare are genuinely thrilling too. B

Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:18 pm
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

Nerve's good. *B+*

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:15 am
Forum General

Well that was a surprise. The trailers didn't make this look any good at all, but it's actually a pretty refreshing take on the running man concept. It's entertaining throughout and some of the challenges they came up with are actually quite suspenseful. Sure it's ridiculous, but Franco/Roberts were really likable characters and you wanted to see them win.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:37 am
Keeping it Light

This was bad. Amidst some good reviews I thought this should be worth checking out and with a very accessible run time (90min), but I regretted I put it on quite soon. Was hoping for a fun film, but it's just not. It has a ridiculous script, I guess that's my biggest problem with it. All the dares and events just feel stupid and I never felt there was any real danger involved with it. I kind of wished they would die trying, so the the film could perhaps just be over or go into a more involving state. Emma Roberts looks pleasing and Franco is ok too, but they can't save anything here. Directing wise it seems they put some effort in it too, but the interaction between the leads and other characters is without chemistry and emotion to connect with. It's simply just very bad source material that was turned into a product I couldn't care for. It's very similar like Now You See Me 2 this year. There's some flashy stuff going on and there's nice shots in it, but it's all just empty fluff that doesn't connect with me. The film has one good redeeming quality that saves it from getting the worst grade. It has a great sound track, which deserved a better film.

D

Oh, and the motorcycle scene was just the stupidest.

Last edited by stuffp on Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:01 am
Keeping it Light

This film has a double thread btw

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=80663

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:03 am
Hold the door!

This a great movie! Emma Roberts is so talented! And the concept is super entertaining to watch. The only flaw is the message is totally obvious from the beginning of the movie. But it's so engrossing otherwise, I really don't care.

A

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]