Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 X-Men: Apocalypse 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
B 59%  59%  [ 10 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

X-Men: Apocalypse 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: X-Men: Apocalypse
I mostly enjoyed it. In a rare case, I think this story would have worked better as a two-parter myself. There is a lack of focus in the film, and switching between too many characters/stories (X-Men/Magneto/Apocalypse), far too often, was the primary cause of that. It just doesn't flow very well and rushes through some scenes too fast.

That said, the film is fairly good and most of the cast were great in their respective roles. Although, there were some poor special effects moments throughout. The film did show signs of the studio going with some cheap VFX, and I'm assuming it was done to keep the budget in-check.

X-Men: Days of Future Past (A-)
X2: X-Men United (B+)
X-Men: First Class (B)
X-Men (B)
X-Men: Apocalypse (B-)
X-Men: The Last Stand (C+)
The Wolverine (C)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (C)

And I didn't understand the post-credits scene. Can anyone explain what that was without spoiling the next film too much?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun May 29, 2016 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Mister Sinister (whose real name is Nathanial Essex, hence Essex Corp), a telepathic antagonist who studies genetics, is collecting the serum used on Wolverine, either to enhance himself or create new henchmen.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 29, 2016 8:46 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked the movie at first but then I watched DOFP again and realized how much better that movie was in terms of story-telling. Apocalypse as movie is good and I like that they are trying to make it a little lighter with Xavier cracking jokes a lot of times and then the film tried to make fun of itself when Turner said "We have to agree the third films are the worst". The storyline is just paper-thin with "visible" plot holes all around scene after scene. The main motive seems to be let's try and destroy stuffs for the action to come-up and while the action scenes deliver the underlying story along with it doesn't. The only believable arcs were Xavier/Moira and ofcourse the Magneto bits. The hiring of Horseman was totally undercooked as did the final destruction using Magneto's power, his powers are almost equal to Apocalypse than the rest of the Horseman.

Apocalypse as a character is underserved and we never get to see his menace even though Isaac tries his best. Looking at things it feels more and more that blockbusters just aren't Isaac's thing after SW and now Apocalypse. Of the rest of the members I loved the new additions of Turner and Smit-McPhee (Nightcrawler). Storm and Cyclops are finely cast but didn't bring much to their roles. From the returning cast Fassbender does justice though Lawrence does seem bored of this material now. McAvoy came out the best of the three for me with his good comedic touch while still keeping the character grounded, I really love his version of Xavier.

The Quicksilver scenes comes out great again though this time it felt a little rushed in the set-up, plus the whole kidnap bit seemed only to fit in Wolverine in the movie and ofcourse handpicking the X-Men for fighting.

Overall I enjoyed it but it definitely lacks the storyline of DOFP and nuances of First Class and X-Men.

6/10

Mon May 30, 2016 11:02 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Apocalypse reminded me so much of BvS where the movie is over-stuffed and ends up being by the books thriller. The cast also all seem good/great in their turns but the movie overall doesn't help them much.

Mon May 30, 2016 11:13 pm
Extraordinary

Watched it again, still feel the same way I did about it the first time. All the ingredients are there but some of the execution just wasn't the best. Still liked it but you really do feel the length of the film.

Tue May 31, 2016 1:49 am
loyalfromlondon

Magnus wrote:
Flat is the most appropriate adjective for it.

But man, whoever they paid for the VFX for this should demand a refund. The supervisor in charge of that team was probably an idiot.

you're not wrong

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue May 31, 2016 8:18 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Watched it again, still feel the same way I did about it the first time. All the ingredients are there but some of the execution just wasn't the best. Still liked it but you really do feel the length of the film.

I enjoyed it a little more in my second viewing with lowered expectations but I do agree you can feel the length of the film.

Tue May 31, 2016 12:43 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

I personally thought this was one of the better X-Men films. Would probably put in my top 3 of the series. Definitely an improvement over DOFP which I was underwhelmed by in the end.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:08 am
Profile WWW
Grill

jmovies wrote:
I personally thought this was one of the better X-Men films. Would probably put in my top 3 of the series. Definitely an improvement over DOFP which I was underwhelmed by in the end.

My dog.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:44 am
Hold the door!

Lol, this has become a DOFP hate thread.

DOFP is better than every single MCU film. And probably every DC film sans The Dark Knight.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:27 am
Grill

I should've explained that I don't agree with the last part of that statement. DoFP is one of if not my all time favorite comic book movie.

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:23 am
The Kramer

I'm sure lowered expectations helped, but this was kind of awesome. The entire second half is thrilling. And while the first half is very slow and unfocused, it works because I really didn't wanna see anymore heroes get vaporized. Apocalypse and his band have meh stories, but they're great fodder for awesome fighting!

Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:27 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

It has a lot of issues, but for the most part I found this pretty entertaining and didn't notice a massive drop-off in quality from the previous films or anything. It was a fun popcorn movie and I didn't feel the length really at all. Of the cast I thought the best in show were Tye Sheridan and Evan Peters. B

Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:55 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

Quicksilver beating up Apocalypse was probably my favorite moment of the new trilogy. Dude needs a spinoff now. It would make more than Apocalypse.

I do think the movie would have been better with just the DofP. I liked all the actors, but they didn't realy accomplish anything other mutants with cool powers couldn't. The idea should be that Apocalypse was brought down by Xavier's family, not Phoenix.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:22 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

David wrote:
Lawrence is badly going through the motions. Her contempt for having to play Mystique again post-David O. Russell/Oscars is palpable.

Fassbender is awesome, though. He mostly sells the rushed, "Magneto has a family! Magneto loses his family!" arc, although the film too easily excuses his slaughter of, presumably, every man, woman, and child in Cairo and many others elsewhere around the world.

Yeah, this is my main problem with the film. In a series that's all about the moral repercussions of characters's actions, you have someone basically murder what probably amounts to millions of people in a few minutes and this is then never addressed and the character remains 'frenemies' with the rest of the good guys. It's bizarre. Horrible screenwriting.

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:46 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

zwackerm wrote:
Lol, this has become a DOFP hate thread.

DOFP is better than every single MCU film. And probably every DC film sans The Dark Knight.

Agreed, X2 as well.

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:47 pm
Keeping it Light

A worthy follow-up to DOFP although not as good. I thoroughly enjoyed myself with this one, being in the x-men universe again. Some great character (re-)introductions, and nice scenes all around. Wolverine cameo was great too. Have a bit of a problem with the length, it really started to feel long and felt the film wasn't really going fast enough in the second part. Quicksilver's scenes are the best and overall the X-men are a very lovable franchise for me.

B+

List:
DOFP
X2
X-Men
Apocalypse
First Class
The Last Stand

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:07 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I really enjoyed this! Probably a little too long, because the kidnapping/wolverine scene could've been cut entirely. But Magneto and Quicksilver were great in this. And Professor X actually got to fight!

B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:38 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

My list:

1. X-Men: First Class (A)
2. Deadpool (A-)
3. X2: X-Men United (A-)
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past (A-)
5. X-Men: Apocalypse (B+
6. The Wolverine (B+)
7. X-Men (B)
8. X-Men: The Last Stand (B-)
9. X-Men Origins: Wolverine (C+)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:40 am
now we know

Loved it. X-Men films are always good (at least the last three have been very well made!), and this was no different. Quicksilver yet again steals the limelight, but loads of other characters are superb too; Magneto, Apocalypse, Cyclops was awesome, and FUCKING WOLVERINE! What a rampage, and what a surprise. Bryan Singer did a superb job with this film. The new trilogy is probably better than the old trilogy.

Nightcrawler as the forced comedic element in the film was annoying, and Olivia Munn's character was shit, but apart from that it was great. Even Jennifer Lawrence was fine. Not as good as Days of Future Past, but still a great film and a surprise from what I thought it would be. Lots happened in the film before the Cairo battle which I was pleasantly surprised about. Gotta say; I loved Apocalypse. Great villain. Getting a bit tired with every time the X-Men come up against an unstoppable force, it's usually Jean Grey that sorts it all out (basically because all the other characters have limits to their powers).

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Post Re:
Nice review. Olivia Munn's Psylocke was great though.

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:38 am
now we know

Dude, take off your muff glasses. She did fuck all apart from stand around looking glum.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:39 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I hadn't been in a hurry to see Apocalypse because I have been so disappointed in the X-Men Kidz movies, but when I finally got out to see it yesterday, I found this latest entry in the franchise turned out to be a spectacular surprise. This is how to do a serious tone super hero movie right. X-M:A held me spellbound from beginning to end. Great heroic score by John Ottman too. *A+*

(My second favorite film in the franchise after The Wolverine.)

Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:33 am
Indiana Jones IV

It's just about exactly what I expected. A lot didn't work (agree with much of the criticisms expressed here), but I love the X-Men so I was moderately entertained throughout.

Magnus wrote:
the worst decision of this new trilogy was making Mystique a central figure. I don't even blame Lawerence; the character is just a bad character. The whole "all these kids look up to you" shit just never resonates.

It's terrible, Mystique's centrality was a big problem for me in Days of Future Past too. But how bad is the very last scene here? Cyclops, Jean Gray, and Nightcrawler have just essentially battled with GOD, and won, and Mystique's yelling at them, "Alright babies, drop your pacifiers, forget everything your parents taught you, shit's about to Get REAL!!!!!" So tone-deaf and unfortunate.

another gripe: Quicksilver's unbelievably fortunate timing in showing up to the mansion as it blew up, and then.... no one saying anything at all about what had just happened to all of them / the mansion.......

B-

X2: X-Men United
X-Men: First Class
X-Men
Days of Future Past

Apocalypse
The Wolverine
The Last Stand
Origins Wolverine

Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:07 am
Cream of the Crop

Here's a great three minute deleted scene from X-Men Apocalypse where the X-Kids go to the mall!

Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next