Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 X-Men: Apocalypse 

What grade would you give this film?
A 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
B 59%  59%  [ 10 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post X-Men: Apocalypse

Quote:
X-Men: Apocalypse is a 2016 American superhero film based on the X-Men that appear in Marvel Comics, and is the ninth installment in the X-Men film series. Directed by Bryan Singer, with a screenplay by Simon Kinberg from a story conceived by Singer, Kinberg, Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris, the film features an ensemble cast starring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Oscar Isaac, Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, Tye Sheridan, Sophie Turner, Olivia Munn, Evan Peters and Lucas Till. In X-Men: Apocalypse, ancient cyber-mutant Apocalypse awakens and plans to take over the world and destroy the human race, so the X-Men need to stop him and defeat his team, the Four Horsemen of Apocalypse.

The film was announced by Singer in December 2013 with Kinberg, Dougherty and Harris attached to develop the story. Casting began in October 2014 while principal photography commenced in April 2015 in Montreal, Canada, and ended in August of the same year. X-Men: Apocalypse premiered in London on May 9, 2016 and will be released in North America on May 27, 2016 in 3D and 2D, and in IMAX 3D in select international markets. The film received mixed reviews from critics and has grossed over $115 million.

Thu May 26, 2016 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: X-Men: Apocalypse
Is it as entertaining as Deadpool? Not quite. The film takes a little too long to get going. But once Quicksilver enters, the movie gets going and he steals the show. Twice. And Wolverine's cameo is some quick fun. (Speaking of which, for a PG-13 movie, this movie has some brutal violence. Not a complaint though.)

Does it aspire to the same spectacle as Civil War and Batman vs Superman did? No.

Does it have a heart that the last two films mentioned lacked? Yes. It took four, but we finally got a superhero film this year with heart. I actually cared about the characters. And, the movie at least feels like it has stakes. About time.

B+

Could've done without Storm's (who feels shoehorned in) accent and Apocalypse's look though. That's a dumb looking character. And the movie kind of wastes Rose Byrne.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu May 26, 2016 10:56 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

It's long but without the epicness. But to compare weaknesses it's Not a bad film. Unfocused is the idea. You could have done an entire film just teasing Apocalypse for a part 2. I think that is the problem with the XMen films.

I'm not saying wolverine hurts the film, but he is so shoehorned in a very uninteresting way. If Xavier or Beast found him it would drive the dynamic at least from the last film. Here it is just "hey remember the guy that is still the heart of your franchise"

That being said. It's long and goes nowhere. Apacokypse will go down as eh (but still better than most superhero villains)

It's the unfortunate incident where DOFP came first. It is a FC sequel and it's on par

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri May 27, 2016 1:16 am
Indiana Jones IV

I kind of loved this film. It's got its problems, primarily a rather cartoonish villain who doesn't get a lot of development or depth and wastes the talents of its actor (Oscar Isaac's Apocalypse), henchmen that are basically just sort of there (Psylocke, Angel and to a lesser degree Storm, continuing a trend that started with Toad and Sabretooth), but I still enjoyed the good parts of it so much that I didn't really care about the parts I didn't like. The film could have been better if the effects of what Apocalypse was doing had been explored more, if it slowed down more from time to time to actually let the film acknowledge what was going on before moving onwards, or if it touched upon the X-Men's themes (something something a world that hates and fears us, etc) a bit more, but I loved it regardless. Probably because I'm a huge X-Men fan, and it just pushes the right buttons enough to appease me, but that works for me.

Quicksilver is the definite highlight, just as he was in DOFP, and his full introduction into the main story got the best reaction out of the audience, but the other young X-Men are fine as well. Jean, Scott and Kurt lift the film up whenever they're on screen, with a sort of youthfulness, awe and journeys of self-discovery and acceptance that I wish the film had more of. Hopefully the next film will focus more on them, rather than the kind of superfluous old guard (especially Lawrence, who mostly just seems bored to be there), and if the ending's any indication that's exactly what we'll get.

Not as good as Days of Future Past or X-Men 2, but to me it was better than the other instalments in this franchise by a fair margin (or a huge one, when looking at X3). Maybe my opinion will go down with it in time, or just plummet if I stop watching right before Jean gets her Phoenix on, but for now I will go with an A-.

Fri May 27, 2016 1:29 am
Pure Phase

Another entry (the ninth overall!) in the X-Men franchise and a solid enough one, inferior to X2 and First Class, but easily superior to The Last Stand or the first Wolverine prequel. It can be hard to find the center of such a sprawling, multi-pronged film, but the enormous enterprise does a great deal well, from Sophie Turner's sensitive turn as a teenage Jean Grey to the high quality of the action-and-suspense set pieces, whether played as amusing and spry (Quicksilver's slow-motion, Eurythmics-scored evacuation of an exploding building) or grandiose and heavy (ancient Egyptian mutant Apocalypse's humbling of humanity via telekinesis-facilitated nuclear disarmament). At his best, Bryan Singer can still inspire awe and empathy at the helm of the X-Men brand, though questions and concerns do percolate: how many city-destroying beams of rainbow-colored energy can one third act contain before the wanton mayhem turns numbing? How many times can most of said death and destruction be wrought by good-then-bad-then-good-then-bad Magneto only for the purportedly moral Charles Xavier to turn a blind eye because his friend has endured past trauma? Why not just cast a bodybuilder or wrestler to play Apocalypse on set since Oscar Isaac's anxiously charismatic screen presence is completely obscured by blue latex and his five-foot-nine stature is hardly imposing? And X2 remains a masterpiece, but does everything have to circle around to William Stryker and...oh, you know who?

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri May 27, 2016 1:43 am
Superman: The Movie

X2: X-Men United (A-)
X-Men: Days of Future Past
X-Men: First Class
X-Men
X-Men: The Last Stand (B) - Though I did like the "third films are shit" line.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri May 27, 2016 2:04 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Not terrible, but very flat. There never seems to be much of a point to anything, and it never develops a sense of momentum. You feel every single one of this movie's ludicrous 144 minutes.

C

X2: X-Men United
X-Men
The Wolverine
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Fri May 27, 2016 2:25 am
Extraordinary

Apocalypse was kinda whatever and I kinda wanted more with the young generation (that mall scene would've been nice....) but I dug it.

Fri May 27, 2016 4:46 am
Grill

I loved it. I'd put it just below DoFP and X2 but it's so good imo. Loved the newbies. Especially Sophie. I got chills at the end with her big scene. More on it later.

A

Fri May 27, 2016 4:56 am
Extraordinary

so...
X2: X-Men United
X-Men
The Wolverine
X-Men: The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Fri May 27, 2016 6:15 am
Hold the door!

The Dark Shape, are people kidding themselves into liking it? Is it just brand loyalty?

Fri May 27, 2016 8:18 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

zwackerm wrote:
The Dark Shape, are people kidding themselves into liking it? Is it just brand loyalty?

you tell us

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri May 27, 2016 10:05 am
loyalfromlondon

x2
x-men
x-men: days of future past
the wolverine
x-men: first class
x-men: apocalypse
deadpool
x-men: the last stand
x-men origins: wolverine

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri May 27, 2016 12:37 pm
I heet the canadian!

Nothing sells the gravitas of nuclear weapons like a Stan Lee cameo.

Fri May 27, 2016 12:44 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Biggestgeekever wrote:
Nothing sells the gravitas of nuclear weapons like a Stan Lee cameo.

he's the worst

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri May 27, 2016 12:55 pm
We had our time together

It's really nothing special. I wasn't bored or anything but TDS is right when he says you feel every minute. Average to the bone.

Fri May 27, 2016 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
why so serious?

I enjoyed it, even if it's one of the franchise's weaker installments to date. The film's biggest drawback is that it bites off more than it can chew, even with its near two-and-a-half-hour running time. The film tries to juggle Apocalypse's arrival and plan for world domination with (*deep breath*) the first appearance of several well-known mutants in this timeline, Mystique's self-directed mission to rescue mutants from captivity, Quicksilver's daddy issues, Magneto's arc, and a glimpse into what William Stryker has been up to with Wolverine. While each of these segments works to at least some degree, the attempt to cover so many bases at once leads to the feeling that several of these threads have fallen short of the impact that they could have had if they had been given more time and focus. I imagine that most viewers' appreciation of the film will come down to how invested they are in the X-Men universe. For those who are fully on board with it, the film delivers consistent entertainment throughout the entire running time, despite the crowdedness of its narrative.

B

Some stray observations:

- Damn, Michael Fassbender has been great as Magneto. It helps that the character has been considerably more complex in Fassbender's run of films than he was in the original outings with Ian McKellen, but I love that he has been able to craft a "villain" who is so understandable (if not sympathetic). I legitimately felt bad upon seeing the outcome of this film's forest scene.

- It may be lifted directly from the "Time in a Bottle" scene in Days of Future Past, but I loved the shit out of the "Sweet Dreams" scene here.

- You could do a pretty solid drinking game for the number of times Sophie Turner's accent slips.

Fri May 27, 2016 5:16 pm
Forum General

There was some good stuff in it, most of it involving Quicksilver, but this was kind of a chore to get through. I don't even know where to begin, but the biggest problem starts with Apocalypse himself who is just not much of a threatening villain eventhough I think Oscar Isaac's did a fine job performance wise. The character seemed to be all talk and no action which bugged the hell out of me and even worse you never get to see how truly devastating his powers can be because Magneto was the one responsible for all the destruction. Fassbender is still top notch in the role as is McAvoy, but their strained relationship felt so weak in this movie for some reason and I didn't like how it was resolved in the end. The four horseman were pretty boring characters honestly and you never understand exactly why they join Apocalypse. The new, younger X-Men were ok, but I probably wouldn't care if they didn't show up for another movie and this easily had one of the most unnecessary/pointless Wolverine cameos in the entire franchise. Seriously, that whole Stryker compound scene could have been cut.

Fri May 27, 2016 6:09 pm
Forum General

Poor Rose Byrne had even less to do here than in Neighbors 2. I love the fact that she is pretty much the reason Apocalypse is unleashed in the first place and it's never addressed. As for Mystique, the mutants idolizing her was stupid and honestly if she wasn't in anymore of these movies I'd be happy because she is such a boring/uninteresting character. It might be because of the weak writing, but JLaw definitely looked bored the whole time.

Oh and I truly hope this is the last Singer X-Men movie.

Last edited by Dil on Fri May 27, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 27, 2016 10:27 pm
Extraordinary

The more I think about this the more I like it but I just wish Apocalypse was more interesting, in addition to the limited use of Storm (lol at her just standing on the sidelines at one point of the end battle), Psylocke and Angel. Fassbender is a force in these films but Magneto needs a fresh arc in the next film.

I'm actually really keen to see a 90's film, and hopefully it feels more 90's than this felt 80's. I like all the choices of the new cast and it'd be nice to see them fleshed out more.

Fri May 27, 2016 10:28 pm
Forum General

:MY LIST:

1. X2
2. DOFP
3. FC
4. X1
5. X3
6. Apocalypse
7. Wolverine
8. Origins

Fri May 27, 2016 11:22 pm
Sbil

This movie gets the job done, but it's almost shockingly unambitious. Apocalypse falls flat as a central villain too (the writing is to blame, not Oscar Isaac). I was basically entertained for most of its (too long) 2.5 hour running time, but the film is a bit too tidy and packaged for my taste. First Class and Days of Future Past were both much better, although this isn't the worst X-Men film ever made or anything (that's still Wolverine Origins or The Last Stand).

The young cast is good for the most part, though Jennifer Lawrence and Michael Fassbender both largely seem to be going through the motions here. C+

Fri May 27, 2016 11:59 pm
Pure Phase

Lawrence is badly going through the motions. Her contempt for having to play Mystique again post-David O. Russell/Oscars is palpable.

Fassbender is awesome, though. He mostly sells the rushed, "Magneto has a family! Magneto loses his family!" arc, although the film too easily excuses his slaughter of, presumably, every man, woman, and child in Cairo and many others elsewhere around the world.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Last edited by David on Sat May 28, 2016 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 28, 2016 12:27 am
Extraordinary

I enjoyed it, give it a B+. I kind of wish they would have done this into two parts or something. Apocalypse probably needed to be built up some more. I like what they did with Magneto and Jean. I would probably rank it 4 of the X-men films

DOFP
X2
XFC
Apocalypse
X-men
Wolverine 2
Wolverine 1

Sat May 28, 2016 12:28 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I enjoyed this a lot. I like all the X-Men movies though. I do prefer the young versions of these characters and like the new choices as well, especially Sophie Turner as Jean. The action is excellent and entertaining. Two small complaints. One, Oscar Isaac is miscast as Apocalypse. He's a great actor, but they needed someone with a bigger stature to make Apocalypse more menacing. Two, several scenes in the movie kind of required previous knowledge of the other movies to get the full effect. The movie doesn't stand that well on it's own.

Quicksilver rescue scene to Sweet Dreams and moonwalking was awesome. I would like to see a 90's era movie with this cast.

B+

Sun May 29, 2016 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next