Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising 

What grade would you give this film?
A 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

Quote:
Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (released as Bad Neighbours 2 outside North America) is a 2016 American comedy film directed by Nicholas Stoller and written by Stoller, Andrew J. Cohen, Brendan O'Brien, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. It is the sequel to the 2014 film Neighbors and stars Rogen, Zac Efron, Rose Byrne, Chloë Grace Moretz, Dave Franco and Ike Barinholtz. It is scheduled for a May 20, 2016, release in the United States.

Thu May 19, 2016 12:08 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising
Sorority Rising is not just a very funny crude comedy, it has a message: bros before enpowered women (or something like that). *A-*

Fri May 20, 2016 5:29 pm
Extraordinary

Meh. I liked some parts of it but it's nowhere near as good as the first, which I rather enjoyed. Everything dealing with the sorority was eyeroll worthy. I get what they were going for but I felt it was pretty cheesy and unimpactful.

Not a huge fan but the best element of this film is Efron. I found his storyline to be relatable. Idk if it's cause she had to act pregnant but Rose Byrne did not look like she wanted to be in this lol. Overall it's not a bad sequel and certain elements are good but I just found the storylines didn't merge well.

Sat May 21, 2016 5:21 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked this better than the last one even though the Sorority elements feels forced into the storyline, its still funnier than the last installment.

7/10.

Sat May 21, 2016 12:56 pm
Extraordinary

Lame I still hear people be grossed out by two guys kissing. Whatevs

Sat May 21, 2016 5:52 pm
Cream of the Crop

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Everything dealing with the sorority was eyeroll worthy.
Jack Sparrow wrote:
the Sorority elements feels forced into the storyline
...yet the sorority is simply the means by which the writers implement their ultimate metajoke...

ie: the currently fashionable / politically correct portrayal of young women is still just used as an excuse for showing their bodies in all manner of sexy dress, positions, slowmo, you-name-it physical exploitation. It's the archetype for this decade's free pass on how to acceptably show female sexiness in a comedy movie. Go TwentyTeens!

Sun May 22, 2016 7:47 am
On autopilot for the summer

I don't think any of that happened. The first film had some meta to it. This is just sketches and improv. There were no comedians in the sorority group, hence the awfulness of them doing bad script readings.

Go watch The Nice Guys. 3 well written young female roles going against your stereotype.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun May 22, 2016 12:31 pm
Sbil

A somewhat significant decline in quality from the first film, but it has enough laughs to make it worth a recommendation. B-

Sun May 22, 2016 3:32 pm
Forum General

There were some good laughs, but it's the definition of a disposable movie. I wasn't a big fan of the first and even I can admit this was worse. I just didn't really give a shit about anybody, especially the so called Sorority. I like Chloe Grace Moretz, but she was completely miscast IMO and none of the other girls were the least bit interesting. The best thing about this was the strong bro chemistry between Rogen/Efron. Also, Rose Byrne did not look like she wanted to be there at all.

Mon May 23, 2016 5:42 pm
Superman: The Movie

Dil wrote:
There were some good laughs, but it's the definition of a disposable movie. I wasn't a big fan of the first and even I can admit this was worse. I just didn't really give a shit about anybody, especially the so called Sorority. I like Chloe Grace Moretz, but she was completely miscast IMO and none of the other girls were the least bit interesting. The best thing about this was the strong bro chemistry between Rogen/Efron. Also, Rose Byrne did not look like she wanted to be there at all.

And that's the film's biggest flaw. For some reason, the film didn't really seem to give a shit about the girls, whereas in the first movie, the frat guys were 50/50 with Rogen and Byrne. The sorority isn't given anything fun to do (tree and half clearly saw a different movie or walked out before the last party). In trying to be PC and equal, the girls are unintentionally made boring. Where's their Robert De Niro party? If the equivalent was The Fault in Our Stars that was a swing and a miss, and a pretty easy joke at that.

The sorority is also nowhere near antagonistic enough as they should be. At one point Rogen says "They're even worse than the guys." A clear example of telling and not showing. The first movie was dumb/fun (for the audience) psychological warfare. This time it just feels lazy. one dumb question. When the girls steal their furniture, why can't they go to the police? They stole their weed, threw it at people for free and burnt the rest. What are the girls going to say to the police, "They stole our weed."? How quickly does their complaint get shut down and they're thrown in jail for breaking and entering and burglary?

I wasn't the biggest fan of first, but in hindsight, I think the sequel makes it a better movie.

But I laughed. A lot. Not enough to where I'd say I completely liked it, but close. And I liked that they gave Efron something to do.

C+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue May 24, 2016 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

It wasn't as good as the first movie (which I thought was one of the funniest movies of the past five years or so), but it's very entertaining and has quite a few laugh-out-loud moments. The sorority girls and their plotlines are definitely not as engaging as the fraternity brothers from the first movie (as evidenced by the fact that the cameos from Dave Franco and the other original cast members feel so much more organic), but the leads are still fantastic. While Rose Byrne stole the first movei I thought Zac Efron's performance was best in show here. He was hilarious and honest. B+

Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:06 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Better and funnier than the first. This was hilarious. Deserved to do better at the box office but unfortunately the first soured many on a sequel.

"They have another little Jew in the oven." So wrong but damn if I couldn't stop laughing at that line. :funny: :funny: :funny:

8/10 (B+)

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:33 am
On autopilot for the summer

Magic Mike wrote:
but unfortunately the first soured many on a sequel. ]

That's funnier than the entire movie

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:51 pm
The Wall

* / ***** (F)

Damn. While the first one was enjoyable as a mindless summer frat comedy, this movie misfires every target. It's not funny, it's acted as if it's a skit in SNL, the sorority story has been made up in 10 seconds...

I actually started to like Efron lately, but he constantly picks bad movies and his character is pretty much unneeded here (as is the whole male fraternity from the first sequel even though they're at best cameo roles).

The first movie's funniest gag (the safety airbag) is used twice here but it doesn't replicate the laughs instead it looks desperate and not so funny. Actually that's exactly what this movie is: desperate and not funny.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:48 am
Profile WWW
now we know

This was actually pretty decent. I dug the first half an hour. And if it ended after 60 minutes, it would have been great. The buzz and humour was still strong up until that point (babies and dildos, come on!). Then it falls fast. And therein lies the problem; this concept just doesn't have enough about it to warrant a full feature. The "I'm a bad parent" back-and-forth, where they begin to explain the plot to us yet again was too much. And what came next? Oh, the sorority girls did their own panicky back-and-forth and explained the plot from their side. However, this sequel is better than the first. The cast is perfect. I mean; Zac Efron, Seth Rogen, Rose Byrne, Dave Franco, Chloe Moretz, and Selena Gomez all being in a disposable US comedy about parties and weed - it's totally their level.

C

PS: Who the hell counts money in buckets?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I wasn't a huge fan of the first (it was fine, though a bit overrated) but I found this one to be mostly lame. The saving grace here is Rose Byrne. She's hilarious.

C

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:12 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hold the door!

The first was okay. So was this. Not really much to say, other than the actors are good, and the physical comedy is especially funny (the bit with the air bag was great).

B

Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:22 am
The Kramer

i loved the first. This one is funny, but pretty empty overall. There's really nothing to any of the new female characters beyond "if a guy can do it..." All of those girls probably had a real hard cry this week. Even Rose, my favorite character in the first, loses her sense of humor with the arrival of a second baby. Chloe is fine as a leader, but she badly needed some back up and the Missandei/fat girl combo wasn't doing it. Why not get the fat girl from SNL?

Effron and Rogen are still able to carry the show though. Effron purposely recreating the events of the first was a clever way to set things in motion. Its too bad Jarrod Carmichael and Dave Franco are barely in it, but I guess there isn't time for everyone.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:14 pm
Superman: The Movie

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Why not get the fat girl from SNL?

Because she's ten years older than Chloe Grace Moretz.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It had some good laughs especially from physical comedy like the airbag or the Minions, but overall treads similar enough water to the first movie that it's probably wasn't necessary. I think the jokes about Rogan and Byrne's characters being bad parents made it harder for them to have any real growth or emotional arc unlike Efron's characters. Byrne being pregnant in real life also may have limited her since I think she was funnier in the first. I wonder if it's a better movie if Beanie played the main leader. The concept is best when the two sides are really at their throat and scheming at each other which is only the 2nd act or so of the movie. Overall it's probably picking nits since I still think it was a decent comedy.

Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]